To dig or not to dig?

• 12 Replies

DeepDigger

To dig or not to dig?
« on: June 08, 2008, 13:59 »
I usually dig my plot once a year every year but recently have been told of gardeners who use a no dig policy. Now, I don't mind digging but if it can be avoided then why do it. Any ideas on the merits of no dig policy? :idea:

Trillium

To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 17:28 »
There's a philosophy, originating from the book One Straw Revolution, I believe, of not disturbing the soil layers. So they prefer to smother weeds and such with layers of things like straw. Newer practitioners use cardboard and plastic.
Unless you have access to lots of smothering material, and lots of time to wait for them to work (up to a year, sometimes more), then digging is a quicker method to get crops in. True, it does spread the top soil level all over the place, but you're also adding compost, manure, etc to bring back the soil's tilth. And you're not digging beyond 2 ft down, so its not a drastic disruption really.
Some say worms get killed with digging and rotovating, but they can be killed also by simply digging with a hand trowel to insert a plant (though not to the same extent).
It's all personal philosophy and preference. Some actually find digging very soothing and enjoyable. Others rotovate for speed or inability to dig.

compostqueen

To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 00:07 »
I don't dig cos I can't cos my back hurts too much.  My soil has not been rotovated either so I have lots of worms. Down side to that is I have lots of moles but on the upside they help me churn the soil up but are generally a pain in the butt  :D

I apply lots of manure, make leaf mould, and am constantly making my own compost which you have to do with no dig. My soil is getting lovely now though so each year things get easier.  I still have quite an area under black sheet mulch which is clear of weeds now and about to be uncovered. This is hard undug soil but it will be quite damp so I can just plant in it.  I find leeks, celeriac, potatoes and all brassicas really don't mind undug soil, and I've had very good results

DeepDigger

To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:11 »
Ok. Thanks for the replies. I think I will most likely do the digging thing for now

compostqueen

To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 09:20 »
took this pic last night which shows the last bit of my plot under woven sheet mulch

I peeled a strip back last night and will be planting in it, hopefully today
The pic shows how the weeds have been killed off leaving the soil clear for planting

It's been under cover at least two years so hopefully nothing horrible left lurking under there.  It was peeled back last year and checked but there were still some perennial weeds so I replaced the mulch and left it til now

I shan't dig it or anything. I'm just making planting holes  :D

spud

• Experienced Member
To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 13:47 »
I use a deep bed, no dig system...and so far I can't fault it, I find because I'm top dressing with my own homemade compost that I've very few weeds to deal with, and its a dream to work with, slugs are a problem though.

I put the spuds in tyres as that is the simplest way for me, a few pics I've been saving  :D  ...

Further sowings of Cabbage, Lettuce, etc

Some recent plants...

This is the beans...

Slug trap needing changed...

Onions, beetroot etc...

Potatoes in tyres...

Cheers

:)
Best Regards,

spud

Big Jen

To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 14:49 »
Your plants all look very healthy :lol:
I am trying to get my OH to build me some more raised beds because there is just not enough room in the 2 that I have. I am unable to do heavy digging due to a heart condition so raised beds suit me fine, Seeing yours will spur me on again to get them done.
Like the idea of the spuds in tyres - have a few old ones laying around.
Did you just use your own compost in these?
BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

spud

• Experienced Member
To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 16:05 »
I've tried the tyres in the past and thought them a failure, the secret is in using low profile tyres, I try and stick with 18'' er's

I didn't have enough gathered up, as I wanted to put two together for the spuds, maybe next year!

I think I'll sow my peas in them next year. They're quick and easy to throw together.

I use a mix of DIY compost and well rotted FYM with a dressing of bonemeal, and everything gets a DIY feed once / twice / week

Cheers

compostqueen

To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 08:57 »
it's all looking good there Spud apart from the slugs that is. Mind you a prolonged dry spell should reduce their numbers somewhat

My raised beds are good news too but I keep getting the mole under them despite lining them first with thick cardboard  :roll:

spud

• Experienced Member
To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 09:13 »
I would have thought the cardboard would have worked! Have you tried the plastic that is used for making paths etc? it lets the rain through.

This year has been my worst for carrots and parsnips, I've sowed them three times   :x

Cheers

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 13:20 »
SPUD~~are you saying that at the end of the season you just put a layer of compost on your raised beds and do nothing else? If this is so I would love to try this method as I also have back problems. My allotment consists of all raised beds!

Jazzbyrd
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

compostqueen

To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 14:52 »
you can use manure as a mulch too.  It keeps the soil moist underneath and protects it from the elements. Worms take it down but if there's some left you can fork it in, little handfork I'm thinking not a gert big job, or you can chuck the manure off and use it somewhere else come spring

yeah Spud I think I would have been better off with the sheet mulch under the bed as the moles are a real pain and anything which might thwart them gets my vote

I love raised beds, and the Link a Bord ones I like very much cos I can put them up myself without tools, well maybe a hammer to knock the pegs in.   On our group lotty we have waist high raised beds and they're very good for working on. No back problems at all with those. Filling them in the first instance was the biggest job

spud

• Experienced Member
To dig or not to dig?
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 17:50 »
Quote from: "jazzbyrd"
SPUD~~are you saying that at the end of the season you just put a layer of compost on your raised beds and do nothing else? If this is so I would love to try this method as I also have back problems. My allotment consists of all raised beds!

Jazzbyrd

Yes, thats what I'm saying, almost  :)  I leave my beds until early spring feb / march if its dry and I've found that they need about 4'' - 5'' of compost adding to fill them up, I do this and top dress with some bone meal. Thats it until planting time, I've found exceptionally few weeds, as you are not continuously disturbing the surface by walking on it or digging it over, once you have removed the few weeds there are only ever a few that grow again  :D

You get a dry crust on the surface of the bed that doesn't encourage any weeds, but just below that it is lovely and crumbly and moist for all your baby plants  :)

The reason I grew my spuds in tyres is because I would not want to disturb the natural way of the soil in my deep beds.

This is a pic of the surface mulch...

This is a pic just below the dry surface...

I hope you can see the difference in the two.

Cheers

Page created in 0.667 seconds with 30 queries.