Transplanting swede

• 8 Replies

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Transplanting swede
« on: June 07, 2008, 22:10 »
I want to grow some Marian swede in pots  under glass and transplant out when bigger but the instructions say do not transplant. I remeber planting swede from pots last year which worked well. Can i do this or do i need to get a particular variety??
If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be different, be just.

vegmandan

Transplanting swede
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 22:30 »
All the books say you can't transplant root veg but I know of many folk who do it very successfully.

I would personally sow the seed in small modules or plugs and then you can ease the plant out intact in a plug without damaging the tap root and replant.

I don't think there's any best variety as they will all say don't transplant,but give it a go anyway. :lol:

jarigo

Swedes
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 22:42 »
They don,t want you to transplant when they can sell you another packet of seed. I transplanted last year and they grew no problem .To be quite honest they didn,t grow as big as the ones I planted to begin with.

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
Transplanting swede
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 22:44 »
And swede is not a root veg.

vegmandan

Transplanting swede
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 22:56 »
Quote from: "Eristic"
And swede is not a root veg.

What !!!!  Of course it is,It's a brassica but you eat the root or are you just being pedantic :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

Which part of it do you eat then  :?:  :?:  :?:

Just the leaves  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

gobs

Re: Transplanting swede
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 23:07 »
Quote from: "bedifferent"
I want to grow some Marian swede in pots  under glass and transplant out when bigger but the instructions say do not transplant. I remeber planting swede from pots last year which worked well. Can i do this or do i need to get a particular variety??

Be different and keep transplanting them, if it works. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Transplanting swede
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 23:21 »
I grow my swede seedlings in pots and then set them out. I don't really think this constitutes root disturbance.

Swede is a cross between cabbage and turnip and you can eat the leves too.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Transplanting swede
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 06:14 »
I'm also trying it this year. I'll be the first one on our site in living memory to grow one if it kills me!

I had a variety reccommened to me which is highly resistant to club root. I've sown a row 'normally' & also some in peat pots.

The latter, of course, can be dropped straight in the ground, without even knocking them out of the pot. This I have done & they seem to be going OK.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
Transplanting swede
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 08:16 »
I've transplanted swedes for a couple of years and they do fine. Last year I sowed some direct and then transplanted the thinnings and they actually did better then the ones left in situ. This year I've started off 'Ruby' in modules and planted them out a couple of weeks ago so we'll see how they do.

After several years of trial and error I now start practically everything off in modules or pots - it's just so much easier to control their growing conditions until they're nice and strong. You can also see where they are!!

xx
Transplanting Swede's Or Not ?

Started by Plot 2 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 12:36
by loam ranger
xx
Transplanting?

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 12:01
by Kristen
xx
transplanting

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 12:01
by m1ckz
xx
transplanting at last.

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:52
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.741 seconds with 36 queries.