broody goose

• 8 Replies

owein

• Experienced Member
broody goose
« on: June 07, 2008, 21:40 »
hi, does anyone have experience of broody geese? We have successfully hatched chickens, ducks and turkeys but this is our first experience with geese.

Our goose has been laying for quite a while, about six weeks. We havn't interfered and about three days ago she went broody. I've just had a look in on her and she is sitting on a lot of eggs (at least 20) a lot of which have spilled out of the nest. i tried to get a closer look and got a heck if a slap across the wrist by her wing! the eggs are quite grubby too, and there is a bit of a bad egg smell.

My question is: is this normal? should I remove some eggs? or should I just let her get on with it as I do my other birds.

Thanks a lot

This is her second year by the way, she didn't go broody last

Vember

broody goose
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 09:31 »
If your after her hatching some I would be tempted to take at least 10 of the eggs away. But do it after dark, she'll be calmer then (hopefully)

Once she's got 10 under her see what her coverage of those is like, if some are still not being covered take another 2 out the next night  :)

What type of goose is she??

Is she coming off the eggs in the morning? and is she covering them up first?? She should stay off no longer than 20 mins, goose eggs if not covered go cold very quickly in my (limited) experience  :)

Hope all goes ok, keep us updated and hopefully in 30 days you'll be posting some photo's ?

All the best

Vember

muntjac

broody goose
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 10:49 »
as above im with vember here , just watch for her coming of nip in quick chuck some bedding down take the dirtiest eggs out to as vember says about half then pen her in with feed and water .plenty of fresh cut grass has to be on hand  :wink:
still alive /............

mercury

broody goose
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 18:02 »
I agree with vember and munty, my goose has just started sitting, and i've limited her to 13 eggs, she seems to be covering them ok, she comes off every morning for a feed and a dip in the pond, a little canoodle with the gander and back on :)  :)

kizza

• Experienced Member
broody goose
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 21:05 »
Why the hell have you left 20 eggs in with her  :wink:
I would take all the dirtiest eggs away and leave her with 7/8. Ive hatched 3 lots of goslings from broody geese and it is a pretty simple operation, the mother does all the hard work, you just pay for food and keep a constant water supply.

owein

• Experienced Member
broody goose
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 22:00 »
kizza, I have, as I said in my post, let her get on with it as I do the rest of my poultry until they go broody. I then deal with them as I deam appropriate. This is my first time with geese so that is why I posted the question, I have since learned that I should take away some of the eggs - excellent advice, thanks all

how would you have done it? I would be interested to know for next time.

kizza

• Experienced Member
broody goose
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 22:17 »
if you are saying that you 1 female goose has laid 20 eggs, bearing in mind that they lay approximately every 48 hours then this suggests some of the eggs will be 40 days old and more. They will be rotted!!! Big time. Especially if she has been sat on them now for a few days in this weather

kizza

• Experienced Member
broody goose
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 22:17 »
if you are saying that you 1 female goose has laid 20 eggs, bearing in mind that they lay approximately every 48 hours then this suggests some of the eggs will be 40 days old and more. They will be rotted!!! Big time. Especially if she has been sat on them now for a few days in this weather

owein

• Experienced Member
broody goose
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 09:27 »
She is now happily sat and covering 10 eggs, we have sorted out the rotten ones. Thanks for advice.

Kizza, I do know about rotten eggs etc I have 50+ chickens, numerous ducks and turkeys - all of which I hatch and rear succesfully - have done for years. Was merely wondering if I should do anything different with a goose - as it happens it was just the same :)

xx
Broody goose??

Started by kizza on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2007, 14:28
by muntjac
xx
Broody goose conundrum

Started by pandora on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2016, 19:12
by Helenaj
xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
goose value!

Started by megkaya on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 16, 2015, 11:51
by megkaya

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 36 queries.