Biological warfare!

• 9 Replies

Geordie

Biological warfare!
« on: June 07, 2008, 20:49 »
Anyone ever bought lacewing or ladybird larvae to try and get rid of aphids?

Does it work?

:tongue2:

Little Miss Half the Plot

Biological warfare!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 21:44 »
Hi Geordie,

I havent, but I'm also interested to find out if it works or how well it works!  

I'm chemical free on my plot, so this could be a future option for me too.

Let us know how you get on, if you take the plunge!!

:D

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
Biological warfare!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 22:06 »
I'm also chemical free and my plot is crawling with ladybirds.  I don't seem to have any real problems with aphids so the ladybird larvae thing MUST be working. Had some blackfly on the broad beans so pinched out the tops and moved the ladybirds to them to deal with any that got away  :lol:

vegmandan

Biological warfare!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 22:38 »
I fancied doing it but when I saw the price I thought twice.

Especially as they could just fly away anyway and If you practice chemical free gardening there should be enough beneficial creepy crawlies to help.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
Biological warfare!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 23:40 »
I agree, make the garden/plot more attractive to ladybirds to encourage them to come & lay their eggs there ...

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
Biological warfare!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 08:33 »
We always have a lot of ladybirds on the allotments. Probably the hollow canes lying about offer them winter homes.

If you do buy the babies in, you might find that they leave home anyway as soon as they learn to fly.
If it rots compost it
If it burns burn it
If it is chocolate eat it

deedee71

Biological warfare!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 13:36 »
i watched some video on the internet about ants farming aphids and the ants carried away the ladybird! Look on this forum for 'ants' as there's brilliant advice there about getting rid of aphids. i'm not good at posting links, maybe someone could help?  :oops:

Geordie

Biological warfare!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 19:57 »
I've spoken to someone on a helpline of a website that sells lacewing and ladybird larvae (http://www.greengardener.co.uk/index.htm) and they informed me that if you are going to introduce larvae to eat the aphids on a tree then they recommend putting a grease band around the tree to stop the ants getting up and protecting the aphids.

Apparently ants eat the sticky residue secreted/left over by aphids and will protect them from predators !

:)

sawnee

• Experienced Member
Biological warfare!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 20:09 »
I have heard about feeding the ants with something sugary, they dont need the sugary substance given by the aphids so they eat them instead :shock:
Maybe this is what Deedee was on about?
Cant see this working outside but possible in a polytunnel  :?
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
Biological warfare!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 10:11 »
Last year I was 'resting' after a hard hour chatting to a neighbour on the lottie and watched these ants herd several groups of lady birds up the plum tree trunk.

Remembering grand dad always had tar painted around the trunk of his apple trees to catch crawling insects. (Dont know if it was actually 'tar' but it was black and they called it 'tar')  I looked around for something sticky. I found a roll of parcel tape which had found it's way into the shed for some reason and  put it tightly round the tree trunk sticky side in then went backwards and made a 6inch strip, sticky side out.

It took another hour of careful watching and when the whole sticky band was green with fly. I put on another sticky band.

About two days later I looked again and noted that the growth of stuck green flies on the bands had stopped. So I removed them and put on a fresh band.

Hardly any insects after that. Seems the ants had found out that the tree was now a no-go area and left it alone.

Must remember to re-band this year I didn't think it was a good idea to leave on the bands permanently in case they harmed the tree/bark.

xx
Biological controls

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 04, 2007, 09:41
by milkman
thumbup
Biological control of caterpillars Bacillus thuringiensis

Started by willndearne on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 11, 2013, 13:48
by Salmo
xx
A Beetle bank: biological pest control

Started by WebSiteEvo on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 20:56
by braders1234
xx
Bindweed warfare!

Started by Little Miss Half the Plot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 20:48
by Jilllrabbitslim

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 37 queries.