John's Veg Patch (pics)

• 5 Replies

johnathome

John's Veg Patch (pics)
« on: June 07, 2008, 13:22 »
Well was at my mum-in-laws yesterday, could have done with a bit of cloud cover as i got burnt.

This is what greeted me

Theres a compost heap here somewhere?

Wonder whats in here? Why hasn't she cut it?

The Brownhouse!

So thats what was in the long grass!

After a few hours

And theres the compost heap

Well i cleared the raspberries of weeds and cleared an area for the runners, which are now planted.
Had a big bonfire which went well as everything was tinder dry.
I started to remove the grass for a plot which i'm going to finish today, just waiting for the sun to get a bit cooler.

Got chatting to a guy in the pub last night, theres a group of us that meet down there and he came in a couple of months ago and didn't know anyone so we got chatting and now were all friends.
One of the nicest blokes you could meet, do anything for you. My wife has a blind friend who she takes in there and she mentioned she'd love to drive a car sometime.

He came down from his work on a sunday, picked her up and took her to the farm where he worked and she drove his Land Rover and a quad bike, she said it was the best day of her life.

Anyway he said he's sellling his house soon and wants to clear the garden and i could have his greenhouse for nothing, he even said he'd put it up, want a nice bloke!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
John's Veg Patch (pics)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 13:46 »
Looking good already..
Youve certainly got your work cut out there though :-)
and a well rotted compost heap is ready for you at least (now youve found it :-)  )
Good luck untangling that greenhouse John, and what a very nice bloke to offer you his...itll be no time at all till you get something going

keep us updated :-)

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
John's Veg Patch (pics)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 13:47 »
You'll have fun, but I don't like the shape & apparant size of the uncut bit!

You couldn't introduce me to that 'nice bloke' could you?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

John's Veg Patch (pics)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 15:23 »
Looks like your MIL took the GW Jungle Garden too literally for her place  :wink:  And I still don't see the compost heap.

johnathome

John's Veg Patch (pics)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 17:23 »
Well i was pretty busy last weekend, dug 2 beds and mixed in 200 litres of compost. I ached in places i'd forgotten about, i dont envy people who have just got a lottie and are digging it on their own.I don't think i could cope with it.

I cant touch the blackberrys till after this years harvest, theres also a blackbird nesting in there.

The beans are doing well, the guy in the shop said he hoped we had better luck with them as all his died.

That pile of stones to the left is a small part of what came out, there was also 6 carrier bags and 3 bucket loads. Should give me some funny shaped carrots if any come up!

heres the beds

I'm not digging any more until the autumn.

I've planted carrot, parsnip, peas, spring onion, lettuce, broccoli, cauli, beetroot and brussels.

I'd be a miracle if they all come up, although i noticed some peas were poking there shoots through :D

The beds are 10'x4' and 10'x5'.

The MIL said they tried lettuce and cabbage before but they were really tiny. I'm thinking theres not enough Nitrogen in the soil, if thats the case when do i add a liquid feed and what one is best?

John

Ygerna

John's Veg Patch (pics)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 17:33 »
Wow, you have been extremely busy. But, just looking at all that makes me all excited about getting my own Allotment, I hope I get one in the Autumn I really do.

I also have to say what a great guy that chap from the pub is. I truely nice person, to give you the greenhouse and to make your friends wish come true regarding the driving. Huge pat on the back for him :D

xx
thank you john

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 17:54
by pawsnclaws
xx
John's book

Started by Sassy Lassy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 13:40
by Porffor
xx
Thank you John Harrison

Started by Sapphire on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 21:32
by Aunt Sally
xx
Thank you John I took your advice

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 13:26
by John

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 36 queries.