??showing??

• 6 Replies

lj

??showing??
« on: June 06, 2008, 20:05 »
Do any of you show your chickens? I would love to start as i have some lovley birds that i think would do well. I think my young daughters would also enjoy it. Where do i find out about any shows and how do you enter etc etc?? Any advice would be great.

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
Re: ??showing??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 20:39 »
Quote from: "lj"
Do any of you show your chickens? I would love to start as i have some lovley birds that i think would do well. I think my young daughters would also enjoy it. Where do i find out about any shows and how do you enter etc etc?? Any advice would be great.

Hi,
Where in the country are you. There are lots of shows around. it would probably be best to begin with a small local one. The major Poultry shows are At the end and beginning of the year when the birds are looking their best.

First of all you need to contact the show organiser and get a schedule and entry form. This has to be returned before the entry date with the entry fees.

A schedule looks like this:-

Poultry Schedule :-    http://www.greatyorkshireshow.com/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=323,82,1,Documents&MediaID=&Filename=

Poultry Entry form:    http://www.greatyorkshireshow.com/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=325,82,1,Documents&MediaID=&Filename=

The birds need to be washed a few days before the show and then kept clean. On the day you need to get to the show early in order to pen and prepare them for judging. It's usual to put a little oil on their comb and wattles. This makes them redder and shine.

Don't forget to take water and corn. Do not feed before judging.

I naintain a full poultry show and sale directory on this site:-

www.thepoultrygarden.com

Allan
It's not growing old that stops you doing things
Its stopping doing things that makes you old.

lj

??showing??
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 21:00 »
Thank you for the reply. Is there any where i can find a list of shows and dates?? I live in hampshire.

Foxy

??showing??
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 22:52 »
hi what breed are you hoping to show?

www.pekinbantams.com   is for all sorts not just pekins and has section on the forums giving advice on showing and dates for shows.

lj

??showing??
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 08:58 »
Thanks foxy i will have a look at that. I would like to start by showing my brahmas. I have i believe some very nice birds. I have been told they would do well so i thought it was about time to give it a go! I do have some other breeds that i might like to show in the future if things go well. I just thought i would start with the brahmas as they are extreamly used to being handled and i feel i know the breed the best. They are also the 1s that the children adore, so would make it more enjoyable 4 the whole family.

Bodger

??showing??
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 09:16 »
I show my chickens. :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  and really enjoy the days out at the shows but even more rewarding is the time spent planning for success and my rivals demise. :lol:  Sad isn't it ? :lol:

Where abouts in the country are you? Unless you live out on the Hebrides or somewhere realy remote, the chances are that you wont be living too far from a fairly local poultry club.
I'm a member of the Gwynedd Poultry club and we hold three shows a year. These shows are open to none members and members alike.
The club offers friendship and advice fom its members in abundance and from attending the club shows, you'll soon get into the swim of things and learn when and where other shows are being staged.
Its great fun but beware, as other people will no doubt agree, it can become quite addictive. :D

mumsy

??showing??
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 19:30 »
Quote from: "lj"
I live in hampshire.

Bodger...................look carefully :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
Showing eggs.

Started by kimT on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 10:54
by kimT
xx
Showing a cockrel

Started by farmerford on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2011, 20:55
by bantam novice
xx
Showing birds

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post December 05, 2008, 21:04
by Aunt Sally
wireless
showing bird

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 13, 2009, 16:47
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 37 queries.