ants farming aphids/jam question

• 4 Replies

chipmunk

« on: June 06, 2008, 10:47 »
Hi,

I noticed red ants on my broad beans yesterday and on further inspection, noticed little herds of black aphids. I'd previously read about bob flowerdew's  method of getting the ants to turn on the aphids by putting jam or honey on the plants. So yesterday (much to the amusement of my allotment neighbour who already thinks I'm stark raving mad because I'm pulling stockings over my cherry tree branches), I smeared dabs of honey on the bases of some of the leaves. How long does it take to work - checked this morning and ants/aphids still there (I'm very impatient!). Any hints/tips from those who've tried this? Is jam or honey better? Any particular flavours/brands?  :wink:

cheers

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 11:23 »
Never tried it myslef, I just go most nights with water sprayer in hand and blast the black fly off, you dont get rid of all of them but 80-90% are gone, compared to others I dont have a problem. Funny enough I was looking at alternative methods, one aphid expert reckons if you roll kitchen foil between the rows it confuses them when they fly in, they think its the sky, apparently they fly in looking for bare earth. Not sure about this and I am sure the elder statesman may be chuckiling in their sheds at this one.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

hotterotter

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 13:12 »
Lawrence D Hills says go to the pub and empty ashtrays make up a spray with butts and ash, use carefully as it kills aphids too. An entire new group of old men will laugh at you too.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 13:15 »
Quote from: "hotterotter"
Lawrence D Hills says go to the pub and empty ashtrays make up a spray with butts and ash, use carefully as it kills aphids too. An entire new group of old men will laugh at you too.

Of course there is now a major flaw in this plan. most dont use ash trays any more, they are wall mounted boxes on the wall outside that are locked.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 13:35 »
Here is a link from another forum that talks about the very same subject, and according to Goldilox it will work, so tonight I am of with some jam and will try a couple of plants to compare to the blasting method I use at the mo.

http://www.kitchengarden.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5508&sid=e16e3988179d603ecfb443bc2530f285

xx
Do ants eat aphids

Started by carlotta on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 21, 2013, 09:28
by carlotta
xx
ants and aphids

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 18:30
by Livinhope
xx
Aphids ants and washing up liquid.

Started by bashful_badger on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 22:16
by Aunt Sally
xx
ants and aphids on my plum tree

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 17:08
by gardener247

Page created in 0.764 seconds with 37 queries.