onions

• 7 Replies

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
onions
« on: June 04, 2008, 14:06 »
my onions which i planted in the autumn have little bulbs forming on top, i presume either flower or seed?
do i cut them off or leave them?

dereklane

• Experienced Member
onions
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 14:09 »
jus pull them up and eat them - they're going to seed. The onions are nice still, but they won't get any better now. (you can use the whole thing - tops and all, for a more subtle oniony flavour)

Shawgardens

Onions
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 14:30 »
Well I have put my onions a few weeks ago, But they have yet to get bulbs on.

I have never had flowers on, but the bulbs are the onions as far as I rembember usually take about 12 weeks to come through, and also need 2 weeks drying out time once dug up.

tweeky

onions
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 14:39 »
Having grown onions myself, I used to inspect them for the slightest hint of a flower head and cut them off immediately.

Seemed to work but not 100%

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
onions
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 14:42 »
My onions that I planted last Autumn are fattening up nicely... one tried to produce a flowerhead but I nipped it out and left the bulb in situ... it's still growing and seems very happy.
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Trillium

onions
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 14:49 »
I get a lot of onions wanting to flower, moreso with any sets I've used rather than seeds. I just snap off the heads soon as I see them and let the plant keep growing. After harvest, I make sure I use those onions first, just in case.

dereklane

• Experienced Member
onions
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 14:55 »
Well, what do I know :)

Maybe its just an excuse to eat them early... I'll leave some in from now and see how they fare. Thanks for the tips.

cheers,

tweeky

onions
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 15:46 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
I get a lot of onions wanting to flower, moreso with any sets I've used rather than seeds. I just snap off the heads soon as I see them and let the plant keep growing. After harvest, I make sure I use those onions first, just in case.

Good point, I forgot to mention I did exactly the same thing...eat those first.

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 28 queries.