im going to call about a allotment tomorrow

• 9 Replies

new_2_veg

« on: June 03, 2008, 19:49 »
hi all

im just going to make a call and see what the score is and see how many people are on the waiting lists.

im still not sure i want to make the big step as yet but i was just wondering what things i should be looking at/for and what i should be asking?

as my dad has never been around i have and do most things for myself  and i just like the reasurence

many thanks

nathan
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

kezlou

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 20:09 »
Well if its anything like the waiting lists in Middlesbrough you'll be damn lucky to

a) get a plot quick

b) ask advice or get to secret handshakes to get you one quicker.

I am currently a complete and utter novice with growing veg / fruit or allotmenteering but the people on this are brilliant for any advice you may need. SO don't worry you'll be fine!

:D
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

franmeerkat

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 20:32 »
Hi Nathan - good for you  :D Sorry your dad hasn't been around for you but sounds like you're doing fine.
Might be worth asking: how long is the waiting list? Can I put in for a shared allotment? (I put in for a shared allotment and got one within three months as someone else further up the waiting list had also requested a share). What are the rules about sheds and greenhouses? (Some sites don't allow them because of vandalism.)
Good luck and keep us posted!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 21:49 »
Your initial question probably should be how long in time the lists are, rather than how many people are on it/them.

Some other random thoughts, in addition to fran's suggestions.  If you don't already know, find out how many sites there are which you'd consider; ask whether you can be on more than one list at a time.  

Are there allotment associations which sell discounted seeds / fertilisers (also a really good source of advice for your local area).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

iwantanallotment

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 22:26 »
Give them a ring, Nathan  :wink:  Can't hurt to find out, even if you're not sure you're ready yet.
By the time one actually becomes free you could be definitely ready & raring to go  :lol:
Good luck.

new_2_veg

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 11:27 »
yay

right i can walt onto one of sites,2 i could walk to in less than 5 mins :D

iwantanallotment

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 12:53 »
:shock: You've got a plot already, Nathan??

new_2_veg

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 13:59 »
theres a few i could have just like that yes

im going to view a few and see whats what and how i feel.

choice of full and half size :D

new_2_veg

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 14:33 »
well ive made a call and im going to view a fill plot tomorrow morning,

its a secure site and the guy said he could agange for it to be rotavated for  me so will know more in the morning.

ive also rang a guy at another plot but he wasnt there so im callong him back later on but they have a full and half plot spare!  

im realy hoping i can get one with a shed on it as i cant afford to but one at the min, its factory made sheds only :(

nathan

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 23:27 »
Good luck tomorrow, nathan,

Some more (rather random) thoughts ...  :wink:

I'm surprised there are so many for you to choose from, they may well be rather overgrown.  Make sure you know where the water supply for each plot is.

Also have a look at the neighbouring plots, see how they are gardened and whether you feel at home on the site.  Try and get a feel for the demographic of the site.  

If there isn't a shed, consider how you will get your tools to and from the site; if you take your car, is there parking?

A full plot is an awful lot of work to start with (and then to keep weeded), but if you plan to grow permanent items such as fruit, asparagus, etc then these take up quite a lot of space.  If there's only one of you to be fed, you might just think that a half plot is enough.

Just bear in mind that you'll need to cover up the unworked space until you get round to digging it up.  Depending on the size, and the mulch you choose to use, this can get expensive (or free if you have access to heavy-duty cardboard).  Will you have time this season to make a start on the plot, or would it suit you better to wait a few months and then try again?

Take care about offers to rotavate a plot which is already really weedy.  You'll chop all the weeds up and you'll end up with a bigger problem than you started with.

xx
hey, newbie viewing 1st allotment tomorrow!

Started by issyb on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2011, 19:03
by Chrysalis
xx
Call out

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 23:13
by pumpkinpatch
xx
I've had the call...

Started by Cleo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 07:42
by Cleo
xx
I'm gonna call him.........

Started by Bombers on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 06:33
by matron

Page created in 0.775 seconds with 36 queries.