New Allottment offer (advice needed) please help

• 23 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 22:40 »
Hi Kez

I can safely say that Im chuffed I got mine, but its damned hard work.  The kids get bored very quickly (my 8yo got bored straight away!) and there may be some days that you need to offload em to get some real work done!
However, you are getting the plot free for a year, its a great way to exercise (really it is!) and theres absolutely nothing to lose in trying, and if you do keep it on think of the gain?

as others have said, you can get some bit done to get something out of it, even if its a row of peas! (thats what Im telling myself)
brambles arent easy for sure, but theres harder things believe me (see bindweed posts!)

Id say go for it, and if you cant manage it then you've given it a damn good try
IMO though, you are thinking about this rationally and carefully, and Id say you are going to be the 11th and last person to get this plot, I think you will make it smashing!

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

kezlou

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 22:54 »
Thanks Paula its good (sorry) knowing other people have gone the bramble hell especially with bored kids!

My current plan is if i do get the allotment, is to try and chop a 1/3 of the brambles down or as much as possible. Then cover the ground with carpet or cardboard to try and kill the weeds, this is very long term by the way. I want to have it all done by November the latest but known me it will take a blooming long time.

Luckily my family all live within ten / fifteen minutes of the plot so i might cheekily off load them onto they loving grandparents and aunties. Doubt it will happen as my kids don't like leaving me for a second.

Oh do goats like to eat lots of and maybe brambles if chopped up finely?
Reason being i might be able to borrow a couple of goats to assist with me.

Again thanks everyone for all your help :)
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 23:38 »
Hiya Kezlou,

Good luck with your plot; as others have said, it's sooooo rewarding to pick your first produce!

Just a tip to be careful if you plan to use carpet.  Some sites now ban its use because it can contain chemicals or toxins which can leach into the soil e.g. from the glue, dyes, etc.  It is a nightmare to dispose of once it starts breaking down, and if you leave it down too long you may find you can't move it because grass grows through it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rustygman

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 16:27 »
Hi Kez - I think the main issue here is the distance from home. Think about the logistics of a 3 mile trip, that’s a 10 minute cycle each way - more if the children cycle with you - or a short car trip if you are fairly rural, otherwise a slow traffic jam. I find my allotment needs about 3 visits a week in summer to keep on to of it and its a 3 minute walk, if it was 3 miles up the road I may not be so keen. If you are fine with that just go for it. Don’t bother with carpets and cardboard - just get stuck in - have a major blitz with friends and family - and start growing - you won’t regret it.
I’d rather be outside

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 16:31 »
I agree with Rusty..

... I managed to clear a half size allotment with a concerted solo effort even though some of the old timers were advising the cover over approach... am very glad I did so... especially as it seems some of the bindweed ilk can lurkk happily under cover for some while
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

nwalch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 18:28 »
I took on a plot completly covered in bramles last year. This year I have 50%ish of it cleared (but not all dug) with potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions. Sweetcorn and Squash going in this weekend.

Biggest problem was not cutting the brambles down but digging the mass of roots out. Take it steady and do a bit at a time planting as you go so you get some crops in return.
Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

kezlou

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 18:47 »
Evening all,

Well i went and had a look at the derelict plots at town farm today and i swear it was a sea of green weeds, brambles and giant thistles . My god it looked like a forest spread over a few plots.

Out of the six i looked at, the best one had thistles somehow cross germinated i think with huge weeds measuring well over 6ft tall. None of the plots had no fences or doors in anyway shape or form. Lets just say i would more 40litres of roundup weedkiller to even attempt to sort it out.
The land itself had had hills everywhere, to tell you the truth its looked like a green hell.

So after speaking to the allotment officer again he drove to Whitehouse Allotment site in North Ormesby where showed to plots which were tiny and i mean tiny compared to town farm. There were a small plot of 1/32 and out of the four there was only one left. He said i could it for £5 for the year and maybe depending on the list next year he said i could maybe have full size cultivated plot.

So after seeing the massive weed thingys and the dodgy looking scumbags eyeing me up from the estate surrounding the allotments i am just going for the small 1/32 plot in North Ormesby.

Yea i have small of piece of land i can call my own!
Very Happy  :D

peggyprice

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 23:00 »
That's brilliant, Kezlou - piccies? :lol:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

kezlou

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 23:04 »
As soon as i get the keys i'll be flaunting the with piccies!!!!  :lol:

Hopefully will have some peas, BNS, pumpkins, broad beans and cabbages to go straight in if all works out!
The ground looks perfect for planting straight in.  :)

xx
New Allottment-Soil Improvment Tips Needed

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 20:32
by erainn
xx
can anyone offer advice on my leek seedlings

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2007, 11:21
by mickeyboy
xx
how do i get rid of deer on the allottment without covering everything up .

Started by earlybirds on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 03, 2013, 16:02
by jrko
xx
Serious Veg advice needed.

Started by Aunt Sally on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 18:15
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.523 seconds with 36 queries.