Patience is a virtue ......

• 34 Replies

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 15:03 »
Thanks Clare, that's really helpful.  They are chicken eggs so they are due today but I will try to be patient.

Am also going to go and put some sponge in the incubator.

:D  :D  :D

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 15:11 »
Another thing, you should stop turning eggs now, when you see the first sigh on a chip, position egg with chip upwards. and try not to open the incubator up as every time you do you will be losing a lot of humidity. Spraying with warm water now can increase the humidity by up to 15%

clare :)

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 15:15 »
Yes, I stopped turning them a couple of days ago.

If I position the eggs upwards I would need to lean them against the wall of the incubator and won't they topple over when they wobble?

Have put a sponge in the incubator and will spray them later as like you said I don't want to open it too often because of loosing more humidity.

Thanks for the help and support.  :)

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 15:26 »
hi, we are lucky enough to have 2 incubators and a hatcher - the hatcher my hubby made has a mesh bottom, this stops the eggs rolling around to much, I guess you could prop them up on the side of your incubator,  we  keep ours to START with with chip upwards, (will ask hubby why he does this when he gets in as he incubates the eggs, i only help out!! and get to have the finished product :lol:  :lol:  - The eggs will move around thou when they really get going with the chipping, and i know he does not touch them until all of them have finished hatching.

clare

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 19:40 »
OOOOH, how exciting although when I was going through it I would have used the word excruciating!!! Hope theyu are doing well. Think the best advice it too leave them to it as much as possible. Of course I have never been able to take advice and as a doctor never been able to stop myself interferring if I think I can improve things. I have needed to help out a lot of my ducklings and they have been fine and there is some great advice online if needed. Think it is still a last ditch procedure to save a life.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 20:37 »
Woo Hoo, look at this.  We've just wasted 3 hours watching this one hatch.  No 2 is on it's way too.

Vember

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 20:38 »
Ahh he looks so sleepy must've been a hard 3 hours for you both  :lol:

Are you expecting to get any sleep tonight ??

:D

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 21:09 »
Er not really.  I've had to have a large glass of wine to calm my nerves.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

peggyprice

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 21:23 »
Quote from: "Fifitrix"
Er not really.  I've had to have a large glass of wine to calm my nerves.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Just make sure you can still hold the camera steady  :wink:

Good luck for tonight  :lol:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Foxy

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 21:59 »
ohhh so wonderful....so nerve wracking though!!! you will be exhausted tomorrow :lol:  :lol:

Porffor

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 08:06 »
Awww that is just amazing :) and to think you watched it hatch! :) ((hugs)) i can only imagine and hope i'll understand how amazing that is one day. :)

Congratulations!!

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
..... I'm learning!
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 09:14 »
We went down at 4am and saw this .....

It had kind of hatched from nowhere.  It's just amazing how quickly they come when one's hatched.  You were all SO right to tell me to wait.  

The sad thing is that one seems deformed.  It has a really bulgy eye.  We're ok about it but I read somewhere that you have to dispatch deformed ones.  Is that true?

Also is it ok to remove the 2 early hatchers after 24 hours cos they keep trampling over the other eggs and rolling them all over the place.  Holigans already.  Hehehe.  :twisted:

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 09:17 »
PS.  Porfor, I definitely recommend it.  It's really stressful but just THE most AMAZING experience!  I was standing on the street corner beconning all my neighbours in to look this morning much to my OH's annoyance as they caught him in his PJs!!!  :shock:

What am I like?!  :wink:  :D  :lol:

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 11:33 »
OK, so I'm talking to myself here  :?  :shock:  but I have four hatched out of six now.  That's not bad.  Not sure if the other two will do anything but I'm not that bothered.  We have 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Speckled Sussexs so that's quite enough for now.

...... until I get me some ducks.   :wink:  :wink:  :lol:

Vember

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 12:55 »
Congratulations :)

I wouldn't worry about any defomities just yet, see if it manages food and water and if it can walk ok.

Cross bridges when you come to them :D

Congrats again and keep the photo's coming :)

Page created in 0.591 seconds with 36 queries.