Newbie - help

• 2 Replies

Harrys Dad

Newbie - help
« on: June 02, 2008, 22:30 »
Hello - I'm fairly new to growing my own and I fear i may be a little late this year to get the new allotment underway. I have a few quesitons I'd really appreciate some help with!

My soil is very heavy, I am going to put in a few raised beds to give carrots and parsnips a go - is there anything I can add to the heavy soil to improve it - I do have some some top soil to add to the beds.

What to grow. Last year I managed to get Swede in and they were OK. I was a littl elate with sprotes and the Savoy just got eaten alive. I was going to plant Swede, Parsnip, Carrots and Leaks and Sprots. although I only have seedlings for Leaks - Am I too late :? .....

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Newbie - help
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:54 »
Not too late for brassicas, if you can lay you hands on some plants. I sowed some carrots in late June last year & they were a reasonable crop,  so get some of them in.

Parsnips may not be too late, they may not make such large ones though, but it's better than nothing.

Nothing ventured & all that!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Lee1978

Newbie - help
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 10:08 »
Dig in plenty of well rotted manure, carrots and parsnips don't like manured ground so stick with your raised beds (i grow mine in barrels filled with riddled soil, sand and compost). Hope this is of some help :wink:

smiley
Another newbie, hello all

Started by Bonbon on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 02:48
by Henerz
xx
newbie...

Started by paul veg on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 22:41
by paul veg
xx

Started by tim25 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 12:17
by anthony74
xx
Newbie!

Started by hereshoping on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 22:13
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.871 seconds with 36 queries.