Dying tomato flowers?

• 24 Replies

sharky

• Experienced Member
Dying tomato flowers?
« on: June 02, 2008, 17:59 »

Blasted tomato plants have been riddles with problems, can anyone tell me what the problem is here with dying flowers? It had happened to most of the  plants... :?  :roll:

woodburner

Dying tomato flowers?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 18:01 »
I'd have blamed damp but against a brick wall that is highly unlikely! Sorry, can't help :(
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

sharky

• Experienced Member
Dying tomato flowers?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 18:05 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
I'd have blamed damp but against a brick wall that is highly unlikely! Sorry, can't help :(

They have been in a green house. I thought with them being undercover it would prevent a lot of problems, although it looks like it has caused a whole lot instead.  :roll:

Trillium

Dying tomato flowers?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 18:14 »
You're positive there's no tiny tom beneath the dying petals?
For one thing, the pale, veined leaves tell me that the plant is starving. Whatever you're feeding them isn't adequate. Try to give them some manure tea, comfrey tea, or pelleted manure and water them in. You should notice a difference soon. Also, how are you pollinating the flowers in the conservatory? Bees? Brush? Wind? Unpollinated flowers do die off after a while. And watering must be very regular to keep optimal health.

sharky

• Experienced Member
Dying tomato flowers?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 18:21 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
You're positive there's no tiny tom beneath the dying petals?
For one thing, the pale, veined leaves tell me that the plant is starving. Whatever you're feeding them isn't adequate. Try to give them some manure tea, comfrey tea, or pelleted manure and water them in. You should notice a difference soon. Also, how are you pollinating the flowers in the conservatory? Bees? Brush? Wind? Unpollinated flowers do die off after a while. And watering must be very regular to keep optimal health.

Some of that advice is new to me!  :oops:
I have checked and the flowers are unpollinated so that could be one cause, although I read not to feed them until the first fruits were visible so I have not fed them at all yet, should I be feeding them now?

tweeky

Dying tomato flowers?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 18:37 »
Beegly.

No feed until the fruit has appeared. Spraying the flowers with a fine water spray can help.

Although nitrogen could help as a foliar feed.

Other than that, I would go along with what has been said already...watering at the correct time. Not too dry, not too wet etc.

That's why I prefer outdoor bush toms...much easier to deal with and more tasty.

Trillium

Dying tomato flowers?
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 18:39 »
Definitely. The leaves say they're quickly depleting existing nutrients, so the flowers will take last place on the food cycle. A starving plant can't support fruiting flowers, let alone fruit.
By chance, are the plants in growbags?

woodburner

Dying tomato flowers?
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 18:39 »
Didn't notice the leaves  :oops:

It could be that your compost was very low in nutrients, or that they have all been washed out.

Feed them with something general or nitrogenous like the manure tea, until they set some fruit, then change to tomato feed.

tweeky

Dying tomato flowers?
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 18:45 »
Beegly.

Adding to my post. A tomato plant produces an abundance of leaves which reduce the food the fruit is receiving.

A tomato plant requires very little leaf once the fruit has set, so get rid of most of the extraneous shoots and leaves.

There bye leaving the fruit to receive all the goodness and nutrition.

Trillium

Dying tomato flowers?
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 18:49 »
Tweaky, you normally don't feed toms until fruit appears, but first of all the plant needs to be healthy to begin with....which sharky's isn't. Something was definitely lacking in the conservatory soil and the whole plant is suffering. To not feed it something now means the whole plant will eventually die off as there'll be no fruit set at all to normally feed when fruit appears. Kind of roundabout but I think you know what I mean.

tweeky

Dying tomato flowers?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 18:53 »
Beegly.

Trillium, yup.

"definitely lacking in the conservatory soil"

Sorry I didn't know that. Sharky,have you used this soil before for tomato plants?

Big Jen

Dying tomato flowers?
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 20:42 »
Try spaying with epsom salts to help green the leaves back up. I had some slight yellowing on mine and this worked wonders. Could very well be poor quality grow bags with not enough nutrients for these greedy plants. I agree not to feed before the fruit sets but you do need a healthy plant to start with.
BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

gobs

Dying tomato flowers?
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 20:54 »
If there is no fungal growth on the flowers/buds that are decaying, drought is a very likely culprit and can cause such damage in leaves in it's own right.

Good watering routine , as said , is very important, if the place is dry, misting , etc can help, also could have cought a bit of cold in the recent past.

BTW, you could tidy your tying in, so it does not rub the stalk and what are the black stalks like?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

puravida

• Experienced Member
Dying tomato flowers?
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 20:54 »
gosh - I never I had to brush pollenate toms.
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

NYKnick

Same problem here in Annapolis, Maryland - USA
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 03:32 »
I'm totally stumped and feeling a bit devastated at the onset of what I imagined would be a terrific season. The picture posted at the beginning of the post shows exactly the same flower die-off, but I'm pretty sure my plants' leaves are green, dark and not veiny. I use Miracle Gro (fertilized) soil for tomatoes and the nutrients are supposed to feed to 3 months. I'm about 2 months into it, so maybe the soil does need a little nourishment -- but "distilling" manure tea seems a bit complicated. Any other suggestions for feeding the plants? Honestly, I my wife isn't going to let me dump a pile of manure in our small yard to perform this experiment which, I'm assuming, isn't fragrant. Onto the manual pollination -- I've sprayed the blossoms with set spray and that doesn't seem to be doing the trick. How do I pollinate the flowers, or induce pollination? My cherry and plum tomatoes seem to be doing fine, but the bigger ones that are heirlooms are the ones with the dying flowers. I'm completely confused by this problem, and would feel much better if I knew it was bugs doing the damage since I know how to manage them effectively. Please help!

Thanks in advance for any assistance and advice you can lend me!
Mike

xx
Help - why are my tomato plants dying

Started by dawninspain on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 07:51
by Philip
xx
tomato plants dying, yellow leaves

Started by booklover on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2020, 19:24
by 8doubles
xx
Tomato plants dying - wrong conditions?

Started by MrsR on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 01, 2007, 08:27
by wildeone
xx
Tomato flowers are dropping

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 13:24
by hubballi

Page created in 0.908 seconds with 36 queries.