Alternaria (early blight) on toms - disaster or salvageable?

• 4 Replies

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
My Sungold and Tumbling Tom tomatoes have brown spots on the leaves. I've identified it (from the scary 'tomato diseases' web page that crops up here a lot) as Alternaria or early blight. The tomatoes have been in my mini greenhouse - with the door open all the time for the last week to harden various stuff off. I have to admit they've been a bit crammed in there and I've also splashed them with water on multiple occasions due to the lack of space and difficulty in manoeuvring a watering can. Anyway, question is... are they DOOOOOMED or will they recover? I've planted them outside up the plot now in the hope that some fresh air will do them good? Oh well, two chances I s'pose  :(

Gardeningguru

Re: Alternaria (early blight) on toms - disaster or salvagea
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 14:17 »
Quote from: "muddywellies"
My Sungold and Tumbling Tom tomatoes have brown spots on the leaves. I've identified it (from the scary 'tomato diseases' web page that crops up here a lot) as Alternaria or early blight. The tomatoes have been in my mini greenhouse - with the door open all the time for the last week to harden various stuff off. I have to admit they've been a bit crammed in there and I've also splashed them with water on multiple occasions due to the lack of space and difficulty in manoeuvring a watering can. Anyway, question is... are they DOOOOOMED or will they recover? I've planted them outside up the plot now in the hope that some fresh air will do them good? Oh well, two chances I s'pose  :(

Two chances are better than two hopes!  :wink:

Fingers crossed for you.

gobs

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 20:44 »
Any photos, Muddy? You realise that Alternaria is very rare in the UK.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 09:15 »
No, I don't have any pics at the moment. OH took it upon himself to pull all the affected leaves off last night anyway. The plants in question are looking a bit bald now but hopefully they'll be alright. Well, that's really good news that it's very rare gobs! Perhaps I have misdiagnosed the problem - fingers crossed! I think I'm just a bit paranoid as I lost all my tomato plants to a botrytis/blighty type thing last year. Where I live also had a 'near miss' Smith period over the weekend according to the Blightwatch site too  :shock:

gobs

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 10:30 »
Yes, blight as in phytophthora on the other hand, is already about.

xx
cabbages's Alternaria Leaf spot

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 20:41
by Bing
xx
Blight & Toms

Started by Redwellies on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 20, 2007, 15:13
by Redwellies
xx
Need help with my toms. Is this blight??

Started by angel35 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2009, 00:02
by Salmo
xx
i think that its blight on my toms.. a sad day.

Started by SAMANTHA MOLLY on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 17:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.861 seconds with 36 queries.