Sam Fox been a visiting ???

• 32 Replies

poultrygeist

« on: June 01, 2008, 22:50 »
Let the dog out back a little while ago and he went crazy. Sniffing around, looking over the wall and spoiling for a fight.
Also the cat was hissing at something. I thought it was a rival cat but there was a definite musty smell out there.
Soooo. I assume a fox has paid a visit.

1. Is it likely to revisit tonight or do they just move on ?
2. Do they tend to stick to a nightly schedule of calling at places around the same time ?
3. If I get a PIR light on the shed, next to the run, will it deter a fox for even a little while ?

Thanks for any advice.
ps. I'm not going to shoot it !  :wink:

Rob

Porffor

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 23:18 »
I wondered about a PIR security light.. hubby laughed at me...  :roll: will be interesting to read your comments.

My dog wen mental the other night.. not like him unless there is a reason, he really did go mad... no sign of tampering in the morning (but i didn't sleep much)  :oops: Hope it's the same for you, and that your guard cat/dog have seen of that old fox! ;)

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 23:18 »
sorry cant help, all i do know is that i have fox probs but not everyday or night. that  could be luck though as theres plenty of wildlife around my chickens, eg rabbits and  pheasants.
they do leave a nasty niff though dont they  :?

mashauk

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 23:50 »
Dunno but the guy on the plot next to mine last night was actually putting straw in a shelter for Mr Fox!  Well, he has been leaving us lots of toys recently, some poor kids' missing about 3 teddies :lol:

Porffor

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 23:53 »
jeez i've heard it all now!! he's making a warm cosy home for a FOX!! they are rife enough even in london.  :roll:

mashauk

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 00:21 »
Well he's 80 and loves his wildlife.  They don't really do any harm on our site apart from digging up potatoes that you've just planted, there's no chickens kept there we're not allowed, not any I should imagine nearby as the garden's are too small so they're just a bit of a pest that really we're all quite fond of seeing about the place. :lol: especially when they bring us presents. :roll:

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 10:03 »
If we didn't have the chooks, I'd be out there trying to watch it.

But I'd rather understand its behaviour so I can discourage it or at least make its life difficult than harm it in any way.
We are surrounded by plenty of easier prey so it may not worry too much about getting through the wire.

Rob

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 12:03 »
If a fox has been visiting, then it might be that you happen to be on his "route" and he has popped a bit closer to have a look.
Foxes do have routes throughout their territories linking their "earths" and also their favourite hunting routes. They dont like anything different on these routes this will make them suspicious as they are extremely cautious (rural are more cautious than urban foxes -however, a hungry fox or vixen can be quite emboldened)
So you could change things around move stuff around( I know someone who used to put old boiler suits out in different places) add your scent (if you get my drift!)
Saying that that if Raynaud has been visiting a nd your chooks are OK thats a positive, and a few detterents around will just reinforce that.
Also, have a look around for his droppings -looks like dark, oily cat poo!!
Hope this helps -just based on what I have around here which are the rural foxes. :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 12:12 »
I can certainly add my 'scent' which will prob confuse teh dog and cat too !

He gets told off for that  :lol:

I'll do the PIR light I think which will assist with the locking up palaver since it's a dark corner at best of times. I'm going to hang a few CD's and things and 'try' to remember to move them around. I could also try making an obstacle course by the hedge to annoy it. It may decide to go around us if it's getting food elsewhere.
If it weren't for the dog going potty I would have put the smell down to the run getting a bit smelly. Have covered part of the top with polythene sheet on top of the nylon mesh which we already had. At least it'll show any rips if anything tries climbing.
While they're in the coop, I've no real concerns. The run is merely the outer defence. I always did like the Motte and Bailey design !  :)
Thanks for advice peeps.

Rob

treacleminer

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 12:24 »
The lady who I got my first chickens from - poultry farmer in Cumbria - claimed she could tell if the foxes around were country or urban released ones.  The town foxes reaction to a security light was a "oh thanks! I can see where I'm going now!"

poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 13:06 »
:lol:

I did wonder that. Let's hope it's moved in from the country !

peggyprice

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 13:14 »
Rob - next time you're in a bookshop, go to the children's section and look for a copy of 'One Snowy Night' by Nick Butterworth.  It's a Percy the Parkkeeper story, and if I still had a copy I'd send it to you ...  you'll understand when you see it :lol:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 13:19 »
I'm intrigued now !

I'm going to the library tomorrow so I'll have a look.  :)

rob

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 16:16 »
Well I read, in relation to keeping foxy away from peahen nesting, that leaving a radio on softly at night helps!!  :roll: Maybe your girls would like it too! i thin that anything you can do to make things look (or sound!!)different is good, it'll make him uneasy. Maybe let your dog mark the area as well? The boiler suit idea sounds good but even better if you stuff it like a scarecrow and move it about the area each night.

Good luck but make sure those birds are shut away safely whatever else you try! Let me know if you try the radio...and which station works best!!  :wink:

Judi

peggyprice

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 16:19 »
Quote from: "Lost in France"
Let me know if you try the radio...and which station works best!!  :wink:

Judi

Might improve productivity as well, like it does for cows  :!:

xx
Visiting

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 12, 2015, 22:27
by danfinn1
xx
Visiting birds on allotments..

Started by agoentis on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 11:22
by woodburner

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 36 queries.