sorry......... help needed egg eating chicken

• 8 Replies

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« on: June 01, 2008, 14:14 »
sorry folks tried but couldnt find the post on  egg eating. :oops:
could someone  point me inthe right direction please.

this morning i was happily  cleaning and tidying not only the chooks but the field too. moved the hen house to clean really well and 1 chook wanted to lay, so i put the nest  box back in and left he too it for about 20mins, went back and there she was  happily eating the egg she had just laid.  :cry:  i knwo she had laid it then as like i say i was cleaning soo all eggs had been taken out.  then  not many mins later i found her in the storage shed having a go at another egg  :?  i told her off and shooed her away.
 wasnt there a post about using mustard and specs? or am i  remembering wrong? :oops:

sory i know its  a common post
thanks
jeanette

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 14:19 »
get a fresh egg pop 2 holes in iether end blow out half the yolk put wet mustard in the hole with your finger over  the lower one ,,,,,,, put a little sellotape over the hole with the mustard and shake it ( finger stil on lower fat end of egg hole .. put the egg in with the hen .... allow a little yolk to drip out near her ...........she wilkl then try to eat it and yurrrrrrrrrrrrk :twisted:  "werked for me "
still alive /............

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 14:47 »
brill thanks will try that later

Porffor

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 15:35 »
:lol: i can imagine that'd work! :)

Curry powder painted onto furniture stopped a former dog of mine from chewing it anymore! :lol:

peggyprice

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 20:13 »
Fingers crossed it'll work better for you than it did for me - mustard didn't do it, even red hot chilli paste didn't sort it out  :evil:

Thanks to Bodger Dorothy now has a very fetching pair of specs ... and the only time she has laid an egg at all since she's had them was the day we took them off her ... and yep, she ate it up straight away  :evil:  :evil:   Has never (so far) touched any of the others' eggs though ...

So specs are back on again - and she's stopped laying again - so we'll see how she goes on for the next few days.

Hope you have better luck with yours
 :roll:  :)
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 19:01 »
Hens do like to see what they are eating, so if you can make the nest box dark that should stop it. I put a fringe curtain made of a piece of black polythene over the entrance so that they can push their way through to get in.
Also make sure that the shells are strong by allowing them as much oyster shell and grit as they need. Sometimes eggs are broken because they are just not strong enough.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 19:22 »
Quote from: "peggyprice"
Fingers crossed it'll work better for you than it did for me - mustard didn't do it, even red hot chilli paste didn't sort it out  :evil:

Thanks to Bodger Dorothy now has a very fetching pair of specs ... and the only time she has laid an egg at all since she's had them was the day we took them off her ... and yep, she ate it up straight away  :evil:  :evil:   Has never (so far) touched any of the others' eggs though ...

So specs are back on again - and she's stopped laying again - so we'll see how she goes on for the next few days.

Have you tried a roll away nest box Peggy ?

peggyprice

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 20:49 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Quote from: "peggyprice"

Have you tried a roll away nest box Peggy ?

:oops:  :oops: How stupid of me!  Thought of those right at the beginning, then never did anything about it  :oops:   Had forgotten all about them.  Got to be worth a try - I've just been PM'ing Bodger about options of last resort ...

Thanks, Aunty - I'll order one tonight  :lol:

And for anyone else that wants to look at them, the link:

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/rollaway_nestboxes.htm

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 21:47 »
Don't forget not to put any straw in it though  :wink:  :lol:

question
Chicken not eating

Started by Tricky on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 19, 2011, 20:15
by kegs
xx
Chicken eating poo

Started by Beano on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 11:08
by Beano
xx
Chicken eating egg.

Started by shay on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 08:31
by shay
xx
Chicken eating its own egg...

Started by simbleby on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 13:19
by simbleby

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 37 queries.