• Experienced Member
Results From Chilli Germination
« on: May 30, 2008, 17:33 »
I sewn some patio chillies and come cayenne chillies
Here is them on the day I sewn the seeds

Day 5, The first seedlings

Can't see them? Need some help?

And, after 9 days, here they are currently

They all germinated, they got a little sun scolding but they'll be fine.
7 days to germinate, and maybe another few months before the first chilli. I'll keep this thred updated on thier progress.

Lee1978

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 18:44 »
As this is my first year growing chilli's i was a little worried as they are only an inch or two high, but seeing yours has put my mind at ease. I am growing "Etna" and have around 30 plants in, i had problems too with scorching from the sun

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 18:56 »
They stay small for a while, around a month till they get to a decent size. The patio type is small anyway as its supposed to fit on your patio :)

Lee1978

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 18:59 »
Mine seem to be taking an age to grow, had just about give up on them until i saw your post :) What do you grow them in, i.e. pots or growbags?

sharky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 18:59 »
Sorry to hijack but I have to!  :twisted:

They're some of the cayenne lot anyway, how long does it take um to go red?  8)

lee79

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 19:04 »
Don't worry about them being small.  Mine seem to not grow for what seemed like ages, then suddenly you look at them and think 'when did they get that big'.  

At the moment mine are flowering with one plant producing a single, small green pepper.

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 19:11 »
Quote from: "Omegaman1"
Mine seem to be taking an age to grow, had just about give up on them until i saw your post :) What do you grow them in, i.e. pots or growbags?

I just grew them in pots, when they have thier second set of leaves, like myne do, I pot them in 4 inch/3 inch pots, when you see the roots growing out the bottom, I put them in 7 inch pots, same agin, roots, bigger pot. I usualy go; 3 inch, 7 inch and 14 inch. I dont use grow bags, only for tomatoes, just use any good compost and clean pots and your golden.

Quote from: "Sharky"

They're some of the cayenne lot anyway, how long does it take um to go red?

Damn, thats what myne were like, before they went into the frost and died. It can take weeks for them to go red, its when the pods rippen. Myne took about 2-3 weeks to go fully red. There is a folk lore going round that says you can put them in a dark draw with a couple of ripe banannas and they will go red quick. Whether thats true or not I dont know, I've never tried it myself. :? Im sceptical about that one. I also believe that if you harvest them before they rippen you will get a better harvest.

Quote from: "lee79"
Don't worry about them being small.  Mine seem to not grow for what seemed like ages, then suddenly you look at them and think 'when did they get that big'.  

At the moment mine are flowering with one plant producing a single, small green pepper.

Thats how they grow exacly, you leave them, come back a while later and your like "wow, look how huge its gotten". The flowers arn't amazing, but they get the job done. :) I had about 5 chillies going on the one plant, the first time around it takes the plant a while to get one, let alone 5.....

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 20:11 »
so how many chillies and I looking to get on one cayenne plant chillieman?

Ive got about 10 cayenne and 6 hot patio on the go at the mo, the cayennne arent flowering but getting a nice height on them
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 20:26 »
Cracking peppers, sharky!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 20:29 »
why can I never remember how to spell CHILLI?

:oops:  :oops:

sharky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 22:20 »
Sorry to hear about your plants chiliman.

Quote from: "DD."
Cracking peppers, sharky!

Thanks DD.  :)

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 22:30 »
Quote from: "peapod"
so how many chillies and I looking to get on one cayenne plant chillieman?

Ive got about 10 cayenne and 6 hot patio on the go at the mo, the cayennne arent flowering but getting a nice height on them

It depends, I had about 4 chillies on a plant about a foot and a half tall. If you polinate the flowers correctly you will get a chilli, but not all flowers become chillies. If you have 10 Cayenne plants, you're going to have alot of chillies. I use more than 8 a week so Im going to need plenty of chillies. I think its better to grow less than what you need, as opposed to growing too much.

@Sharky: Meh, I made a foolish desicion, I knew the frost would kill them, but they had loads of white bugs on them. The bugs go green after a certain amount of time. If you have an ID I can kill them and react apropriately.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 22:33 »
It depends, I had about 4 chillies on a plant about a foot and a half tall. If you polinate the flowers correctly you will get a chilli, but not all flowers become chillies. If you have 10 Cayenne plants, you're going to have alot of chillies. I use more than 8 a week so Im going to need plenty of chillies. I think its better to grow less than what you need, as opposed to growing too much.

Thanks CM...we eat loads of them too, and any that dont get used will be given away to grateful friends :-) I was a bit overhandy with the seeds this year as not ONE plant produced flowers or chillies last year. So I was better safe than sorry this time :-)

mabel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 07:16 »
Sharky, they are brilliant.  Much further along than mine.  Have you got them in a heated greenhouse.  I've got full sun over here and I haven't even got a flower on mine yet.  Well done.  Sorry about the frost and bugs on your first lot Chilliman.   :roll:

sharky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 10:27 »
Quote from: "mabel"
Sharky, they are brilliant.  Much further along than mine.  Have you got them in a heated greenhouse.  I've got full sun over here and I haven't even got a flower on mine yet.  Well done.

Thanks mabel. No the greenhouse is not heated, but I sewed the seeds on the 2nd of January, so that is possibly why?  :shock:

Saying this they started to germinate on the 16 of february as the cold month of january slowed them down somewhat.

xx
chilli germination

Started by anchorman on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 11:35
by Yorkshire Lass
xx
Common Chilli germination errors?

Started by Bodmass on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 18:07
by galen
xx
Germination times for chilli and aubergine

Started by jaws8 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 20:35
by jaws8
xx
Pepper and chilli germination and growing info.

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 21:22
by Ian_A

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 36 queries.