my runner beans are going yellow

• 38 Replies

woodburner

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 22:59 »
My sweetcorn in paper tubes is yellow but the ones in the peat pots are fine. (same variety, and only a day or two between sowing) Still better than leaving the seed for next year. ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 16:10 »
Well the loo roll theory sounds very convincing but there's nothing I can do about it this year as the loo rolls are buried and probably almost fully decomposed, but I'll stick to normal plastic pots next year :roll:  In the meantime I suppose we'll just have to keep feeding them to compensate. My sweetcorn is yellow too, also grown in loo rolls.
Rachael

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 16:20 »
What is the variety?  :?  Mine are Wisley Magic and they actually have golden leaves!!!  :roll:  :D
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 16:51 »
The french beans are 'Neckar Queen' - I'm sure they're not supposed to be yellow. The runners are from seed I saved from last year's , they weren't yellow either.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 19:57 »
It stuck me today whilst earthing up my spuds, we are feeding our plants in pot's of any sort ? most compost only has enough nutrient for only a few weeks, and in loo rolls 'n paper pots there is a little less growing medium than say a 3" pot, feed your seedlings with a weak solution of miracle wotsit or whatever, every couple of weeks may help. Usually at home if i see yellowing leaves etc I look for waterlogging and obvious pests if everything OK I usually find a feed works wonders  :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

AnneB

Re: my runner beans are going yellow
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2011, 21:06 »
I favour the weather / wind theory.  My runner beans and climbing french beans are at the other end of the large bed where I have peas and broad beans.  The peas and broad beans are romping away and very healthy, but the french and runner beans are quite yellow.  I put it down to the peas and broad beans being much hardier.  Will put out the runners and French much later next year.  Definitely think April and May weather is the wrong way round this year.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 21:12 »
Note - this thread is nearly 3 years old and the person who posed the question has not visited the forum for about 2 1/2 years.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

AnneB

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 22:31 »
Apologies if I have transgressed in any way by replying to this.  I searched for yellowing beans rather than duplicate a thread.  I have this problem now and think it might be the strength of the wind.  In future I will start a new thread.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 23:11 »
You haven't transgressed Anne, it's simply that your post seemed like advice to someone who, as DD pointed out, was unlikely to see it, so just saving you that particular effort  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Yellow runner beans

Started by rsindigo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 21:17
by Chrysalis
xx
Runner Beans have gone yellow

Started by BellaBean on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 23:31
by runnerbean man
xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
Butternut Squash and Runner Bean Plants are yellow

Started by nwalch on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 21:23
by mercury

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 36 queries.