compostqueen

Why give your hens personification? and treat them like kids
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2008, 14:14 »
oh so now we're all wollies are we  :lol:

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2008, 14:56 »
pmsl arent sheep lovers woolies? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
surely chook huggers must be crackers :oops:  :oops:

Foxy

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2008, 15:59 »
OK here is one definition of a pet! :lol:

"A pet is an animal kept for companionship and enjoyment, as opposed to livestock, laboratory animals, working animals or sport animals, which are kept for economic reasons. ..."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet

kizza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2008, 16:08 »
I have not said chickens are not pets.....I just asked why people molly coddled them and treated them like human beings when they are only chickens...

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2008, 16:15 »
i used to have two sheep.... flower and blossom, and a pygmy goat called baby :D

but back to the topic.

what makes the world such an interestng place, is the fact that we are all different.

i dont understand why people choose to keep tarantla's or tree frogs as pets. but i dont have to understand it.

surprisingly kizza in a forum called 'the hen house', there was always going to be a wide range of people who keep chickens for a wide range of reasons.

so its not your thing, but thats ok, you dont have to understand it, and we dont have to explain why we do what we do, or why.

to some of us, they are pets. we dont hurt anyone. we enjoy keeping chickens and having a laugh with other people who like them too.

yes several of us have what can only be described as 'a nutty sense of humour'. and i personally think thats a good thing.

one of the things that make this website special, and so popular. are the people. their help, advice, compassion, a hug when you're sad, a joke when you're down, and genuine friendship

poultrygeist

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2008, 16:23 »
Quote from: "kizza"
I have not said chickens are not pets.....I just asked why people molly coddled them and treated them like human beings when they are only chickens...

Now exchange the word chickens for dogs, cats, cars, cuddly toys, etc

Why you picking on chickens ???  :)

Rob

deneview

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2008, 17:02 »
..................and yet vermin are different,

anthropomorphism at its finest

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2008, 17:04 »
have only had three hens since Easter and had never had anything to do with hens before then (as is obvious from the questions I have to keep asking on here) BUT I just thought they were rather large feathery birds that would entertain my three children (all have learning disabilities...the children not the hens) and also as a bonus produce eggs...

How wrong I was....yes I know they are "only" hens but they are such sociable creatures who respond to different members of the family in different ways, they are a pleasure to spend time with... I know they only like me because I am the one who gives them food, I know they are not children.

My children love them because the hens do not judge them as being different, they do not stare when my kids behaviour is a bit bizarre, they come running for attention and are happy to chase around the garden together.....they are far happier to spend time with the kids than most adults and children are....yes they are just hens, and they are just GREAT!

Belinda

• Experienced Member
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2008, 17:19 »
I don't have any hens yet but when my husband agreed to having them I sat him down and said I only wanted them as pets. They will have names and I'm sure personalities as well. I wouldn't have agreed to have them if he had not agreeded with me. My sister in law asked me if I was going to eat them so I ask her if she would eat her dog. I think she got the general idea.

I have no problem with anyone keeping them for different reasons or not giving them names. Its just something I wouldn't want to do myself. I know I wouldn't be hard enough to do that but respect the people that can and do and their views.

westie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2008, 18:01 »
I always wanted chickens when I was growing up in London. I had guinea pigs, rabbits, gerbils etc,etc, and that was great for then.. but now I have the opportunity to keep hens, I enjoy the benefits of a fun hobby, company in the garden when there are no humans about (my noisy family  :wink: ) wonderful fresh eggs for all the cooking I love to do and copious amounts of manure to put on my husband's allotment. The children have had all these benefits too as well as learning about how to respect an animal meant for food production.
We talk to our chicken's, refer to them as 'the girls', have given them names and I always thank them when they have laid an egg for us.
Having said all this, we all know they are chickens and are animals so when the time comes for them to be disposed of, it will happen in a humane, no nonsense sort of way!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2008, 18:41 »
Quote from: "babe"
i used to have two sheep.... flower and blossom, and a pygmy goat called baby :D

but back to the topic.

what makes the world such an interestng place, is the fact that we are all different.

i dont understand why people choose to keep tarantla's or tree frogs as pets. but i dont have to understand it.

surprisingly kizza in a forum called 'the hen house', there was always going to be a wide range of people who keep chickens for a wide range of reasons.

so its not your thing, but thats ok, you dont have to understand it, and we dont have to explain why we do what we do, or why.

to some of us, they are pets. we dont hurt anyone. we enjoy keeping chickens and having a laugh with other people who like them too.

yes several of us have what can only be described as 'a nutty sense of humour'. and i personally think thats a good thing.

one of the things that make this website special, and so popular. are the people. their help, advice, compassion, a hug when you're sad, a joke when you're down, and genuine friendship
Very well said Babe.
Cheese makes everything better.

Vember

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2008, 18:46 »
Can we PLEASE get back  to the forum of a week ago, the one that I joined because it was fun and intresting, the one I joined and found friends.

We are all different & do different things. We don't hurt anyone or anything, if we were all the same it would be very boring :D

mumsy

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2008, 18:53 »
Quote from: "babe"

yes several of us have what can only be described as 'a nutty sense of humour'.

ERMMMM, who are you referring too:wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Just to add my bit.................My girlies have names, I talk to them all the time, they keep me company in the garden, they provide eggs in return.  When I care for something........anything............I get attached.   My children have all grown up & one has a family of her own, the pleasure in seeing Beanie with the chickens, is unmeasureable, & I hope she will treasure the memories of us with our chickens. Life is too short.

NormandyMary

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2008, 18:54 »
Can I just add a final comment please?  I mentioned Kizza's post to my hubby on the way back from town this afternoon, thinking that he'd say quite right too, you are a loony the way you go on about those chickens. However to my amazement, he said that Kizza obviously hadnt taken the time to watch them, to know that each one has its own characteristic, as well as personality and that they are absolute timewasters 'cos we spend so much time following their every hilarious move.

I was stunned and speechless, and that dont happen very often!!

xx
Locking the topic...Why give your hens................

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 22:16
by Aunt Sally
xx
2 Hens to give away in Cambridge(shire)

Started by Nats on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 13:19
by LittleRedHen
xx
do i need to give my hens calcium supplement?

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 16:38
by hillfooter
xx
halloween treat?

Started by kellym on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 16:34
by jinty1911

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 37 queries.