WARNING - BLIGHT ALERT !!!!!!!

• 22 Replies

agapanthus

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 23:40 »
I've had good results spraying toms with a diluted mixture of tea-tree oil and I've also heard that diluted aspirin in a soapy compound(helps aspirin sticks to the leaves) can give good results too. Will definitely try both this year.....when I'm finally out of bed :(

Big Jen

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 18:44 »
According to blight watch my postcode has now moved into full Smith period. Does this mean that I will definately get blight?
Really will throw in the trowel if I get it again this year :cry:
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 19:02 »
No, it just means the conditions are right.

I've had an alert for Leicestershire, I suspect so have a lot of places.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sawnee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 19:26 »
Is it worth me spraying my spuds?
And with what? :?
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 19:38 »
One of my containers some of the spud leaves had brown freckles and some yellow shading so I removed all the foliage to err on the side of caution It could just mean the foliage was dying away but no flowers had appeared. I'll leave them a couple of weeks now. My other nearby containers are fine. Hope this is ok, thanks.

helluvatractor

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 19:42 »
i've just sprayed all my toms and spuds including those in greenhouse with diathin, i sprayed bordeaux mix last week.  i didn't see any signs of blight but i'm not taking any chances this year, i've put so much time and effort into them i'm prepared to do anything to halt the damn blight!  :evil:  :evil:  :!:

Big Jen

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 19:58 »
helluvatractor, same here. I have about 40 toms on the go plus spuds and have put in so much time I will be devastated if history repeats itself.
I used new pots, canes, compost etc, so it has cost a lot as well.
Just have to wait and see.
BJ

siztenboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 11:29 »
I got my dithane from Wilko's, £2.99 for 6x 4g sachet.

Sprayed my potatoes and tomatoes on Saturday morning. I took some demijohns with tap water down to the plot to avoid any contamination from the water troughs supplied on site. One gallon demijohn 3/4 filled to mix the powder and then regular topups to my 2L polyspray. The coverage was quite good I think, I gave each row what I would think is a comprehensive fine spray , and I have 11 rows about 4m long, and was able to do several passes.

Weather was mild not particularly warm , overcast and quite humid. Having seen the rain / shine pattern of the weather forecast coming, it was a compromise between being unsprayed and at potential risk, or taking precautionary measures, touch wood.

Having lost all 100 tomatoes plants last year, I really don't want to be unhappy again.

It had been a week since I was last on-plot, and in that time its been wet. My winter onions were suffering from black rot on some leaves, and a black/grey powdery mildew? On a lot the tops had fallen over, so I pulled them and took them back home to dry off on the patio, and them put in a wooden box in the shed.

On my winter garlic, the leaves have some signs of rust, I think it is, so I am tempted to spray them, do they stay in much longer ?
Steve

xx
Blight Alert

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 06:37
by AlistairMcLennan
xx
Blight Alert Birmingham

Started by Lee G on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 17:42
by Lee G
xx
blight alert in the sy10 area

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 19:10
by Oliveview
xx
blight warning

Started by peterjf on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 22:29
by DD.

Page created in 0.603 seconds with 36 queries.