Completely gone off Chicken

• 7 Replies

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
« on: May 27, 2008, 15:14 »
Is it just me or has any one else gone off eating chicken since owning some, the very thought of it makes me feel ill. I don't think I'll ever eat another chicken korma in my life...oh well will have to start eating cardboard chicken instead (Quorn). :shock:
Katt

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 15:26 »
Nope. Still enjoy it very much. But not cheap 'n' nasty stuff.

Don't like the thought of them suffering.

Rob

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 15:33 »
We grow our own meat chickens, so NO, definitely not gone off eating chicken!!!!!!!! lol  But don't like cheap and nasty broilers!!!!!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 16:16 »
Nope but we only knowingly eat free range  :wink:

I'd like to grow some for meat one day too.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 16:34 »
I'm obvioulsy too soft for my own good :roll: , although I was a veggie for about 10 years, hope I don't go off eggs as well..blimey that would be bad. (they're not baby chickens-they're not baby chickens-they're not baby chickens) 'my new mantra JUST IN CASE' :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 16:38 »
They're definitely not baby chickens unless you have a cockerel.  :)

They're merely gifts from your hens for looking after them. If you didn't eat them, they'd go mouldy and no-one would be happy.

So you're actually doing them a HUGE favour by pinching them every day and pigging out on them !!  :wink:

Rob

Porffor

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 17:53 »
I was veggie for years Katt, have been erring on fish and veggie side of things recently anyhow. But I don't really feel any different since the girls arrived. I eat chicken but don't dare think about it's conditions - even barn chickens aren't really well kept. :(

As for eggs.. i'm not actually a huge egg person! :lol: you will all laugh, but it'll be nice having fresh eggs and knowing they are not from a battery farm. :) or paying the price for ones that aren't from a battery farm! :) FRESH is the main thing, and knowing where it comes from.. same with my veggies. :) I KNOW what has been put on them and what's in them. :)

I wouldn't have the strength to kill chickens for meat - too much of a towney girl.

But I do know that I'd be able to kill a chicken (pet) if it was in pain, if it's the only option.

P.S. why bother with quorn? just have veggies.. nought wrong with them :)

peggyprice

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 18:58 »
I know exactly how you feel Katt!  The minute our chickens arrived in the garden I dound I looked at chicken meat completely differently  :lol:

I think it's because I'd never really been close up to a live chicken before; now when I see them in the butchers (I'm very fussy about the meat I buy) I'm can see the bird behind the meat, if you know what I mean ... I usually find myself looking at them thinking 'well that one was definitely a boy, much bigger than Dorothy or Celia'   :roll:  :roll:

OH became completely squeamish about eating chicken - although he was the one that insisted we had to be "completely unsentimental about eating them once they've stopped laying eggs"  - er, yes, that was before they actually arrived.  He even feels guilty eating an egg sandwich sitting in the garden with the girls freeranging around him  :oops:

Am starting to get used to it now - forced myself to buy a chicken for roasting a few weeks ago just to make sure it didn't become completely taboo  :lol:

But was in the supermarket with my son earlier today, helping him do his shopping - was quite upset by all the chicken legs in the freezer section.  Not nice, particularly when I know they won't have had a nice life beforehand  :cry:

Talking of which, I'm going to give another plug to Hugh Fearnley-Whitting-whatsit's Chicken Out! campaign and his latest attempts to help Tesco see the error of their ways ...

http://www.chickenout.tv/major-announcement2.html
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

xx
How to know when a chicken has stopped laying completely..

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 21, 2013, 14:46
by ANHBUC
xx
Help! My Hens Have Completely Stopped Laying.....

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 29, 2014, 11:44
by joyfull
xx
Help. Hens completely stopped laying

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2014, 22:43
by Yorkie
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 29 queries.