Proud Hen owner... and the first handling already

• 15 Replies

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
I'm in the club now, too!!!
I've picked up my old free rangers of one of our farmers yesterday and put them up in an old calf house full of straw and dung. Put a palet across the door thinking, there will be no way they can get on top of it...
... well, one cheeky lady was rambling round the yard this morning! And as the dog didn't bother really about her, I left her alone while I was feeding- VERY BAD IDEA. I just heard a hen screaming and stormed outside... all that seemed to be left was a few feathers, no blooming dog about and no hen to be seen either.
We looked for the carcass but couldn't find it. Guess why: the hen had escaped the dog and came wandering back, but very slow. I picked her up and examined her only to find 3 nice shreds of skin :(

So, on my first day of hen keeping I ended up stitching up a chicken (she was very good). I had no idea, what to give her, so I just adapted small animal doses to her weight- we'll see how it goes, she's back in the house.
Has anyone here any experience how well chicken skin is healing in general and specifically after being stitched?
And I was rang up earlier to be told, that one of my 6 newbies have laid an egg!!

Happy news after all  :)

Looks like I've to start studiying all your posts about hen keeping as I haven't much of a clue yet

Have a great day

Bell

Ruby Red

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 16:38 »
I dont really know what to say except I didnt get any hens until Id read as much as I could about them on here, and bought several books. Id made sure I was totally prepared for the looking after of other creatures before I bought them. It doesnt sound a very good set up at the minute. Perhaps he could have them back until you are more able to look after them properly.  :?
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Porffor

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 17:45 »
Are you a vet nurse? or a nurse? just wondering at the smaller doses of meds, and stitching. Poor chook.

Hope you have a stable door that can be closed - with a top door or you may find a fox will have an ample dinner tonight. :(

Really hope you can secure them, and the injured hen is ok. I know people use purple spray and wound powder (i'm assuming you have horses here - as I do), all stuff we have lying around as horse owners. ;)

Do you have a guinea pig/rabbit run you could use to keep them safe from the dog in the meantime? won't stop a fox overnight but it'll help them be safe in the day when you are around. :)

Jellyhead

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 18:14 »
I always use Tea Tree cream (from boots) its really a fab healer :wink: Good luck, hope chicken is okay tonite :(
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 20:46 »
I should have signed appropriately:

Bell, MRCVS ;)

And the chooks are secured, palet at bottom and iron gate hammered in the door frame at top.
I'll learn as I go along, 've plenty of professional and hobby hen keepers around me and I think my job background should help a bit too ;)

Tonight the injured hen (called her Helene- she's the only one I can tell apart with the ruffeled feathers) is alright tonight, but in my experience  sickness only sets in 2- 3 days after injury, when infection has progressed enough to cause symptoms... but that is with big animals, we'll see, what happens here

Thanks for the consolation anyway

Bell, MRCVS ;)

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 20:52 »
hi bell,

whats MRCVS.... im a nosey b*gger  :D

peggyprice

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 21:43 »
Quote from: "babe"
hi bell,

whats MRCVS.... im a nosey b*gger  :D

I think you'll find that's Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, Babe ... :shock:  :shock:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 21:45 »
hi gl with the hens, hope  your lady is ok.

i learned on the job too dont think you ever stop learning with animals they always have a new trick to teach lol. :oops:

does that mean you are a small animal vet? or do  you 'do' large animals too? ( just thinking could pick ur brains lol)

regards
jeanette

Porffor

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 22:01 »
Phew.. i had visions of a newbie with a sewing needle! sorry but you never know on the WWW! lol My sister is a small animal vet nurse and I know only too well she'd get hands on. :lol: Wish she was a large animal vet nurse... she'd save me a fortune! lol (horses)

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 22:18 »
Quote from: "Ruby Red"
I dont really know what to say except I didnt get any hens until Id read as much as I could about them on here, and bought several books. Id made sure I was totally prepared for the looking after of other creatures before I bought them. It doesnt sound a very good set up at the minute. Perhaps he could have them back until you are more able to look after them properly.  :?

That's what my OH said I should have done before I got my chooks.  However, I'm way to spontaneous for that!  Hence the eggs in an incubator.  :wink:

Read the manual first?  Er No, not me.  :oops:

peggyprice

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 22:22 »
Quote from: "Porffor"
Wish she was a large animal vet nurse... she'd save me a fortune! lol (horses)

You need to feed her lots of cake, Porffor  :lol:

And Bell, you are welcome here - with or without veterinary qualifications  :wink:

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 11:50 »
Nearly entirely large animals, eg cattle and sheep!
I hate the sight of sick horses (well, maybe it's more the owners ;) ) even though I've a pony myself.

Small animals only occasional, we usually refer anything that is past extremly simple conditions... just a rural practice I am working in.

The hen seems to be alright this morning and 2 more escapees... I didn't realize how high hens can "fly" and how good they are at aiming at small holes to get out :) But the dog has left them alone and they went in like good girls.

AND I HAD 4 EGGS YESTERDAY :) :)

have a great day ( i might sneak out to my hens and watch them a bit- and check the cow, the calves, the pony and the sheep ;) )

Porffor

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 11:59 »
Sadly all the cake in the world won't convince my sister to like horses let alone work with them!  :roll: And she thinks I'M mad! lol ;)

How exciting getting eggs.. mine are nearly at POL so none yet.

Hope your girls manage to keep themselves out of mischief! lol and glad the dog is getting used to them. :) My terriers have stopped finding mine so interesting to watch now! lol

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 14:49 »
ooooooo so anygood asking u bout my pony then hehheehhe  :oops:  :lol:

glad your girls and  dog behaving better now, my terrier leaves my chickens alone but does get over excited at fluffy baby chooks.he thinks theyre rats im sure.

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 17:34 »
I think I'm turning mad, I only have them 2 days and I spent over an hour today sitting on a chair and giving them a bit of supervised free range  :roll:
I took my dinner sitting there and had a great time :)

My hens found there own nest (I hadn't really considered this aspect, I thought they would hardly lay that fast): a bucket in a corner full of straw and meal. I don't know if one "nest" is enough for 6 hens so I just filled an old basket with more straw.. and voila, 2 hens were sitting in it within 10 minutes :) (there was already one egg in the bucket nest at noon :) )

Thanks for the welcomes and the responses

Bell

xx
handling equipment

Started by oborne27 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2009, 21:39
by oborne27
xx
Handling Cockerels

Started by gsc on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 08:58
by gsc
xx
Handling chickens

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 18:39
by poultrygeist
xx
Handling my girls

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 18:54
by chickenlicken

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 36 queries.