Help! which one please

• 15 Replies

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
Help! which one please
« on: May 27, 2008, 10:01 »
Hi chicken peeps, sorry if this has already been asked (I suspect it has) i'm about to order some stuff for the girls  before going to work and don't know which one of these to order: Diatomaceous Earth  or red mite powder? I presume they do the same but wondered which is the best.

I've also added to the basket some bokashi active and garlic powder to nuetralize their poops, are these any good and can i give it to them at the same time in their food ?  oh and verm x ...thanks guys, once agian sorry if  this has already been covered, tried to go into the search section but too lazy to troll through the many millions of posts ( slight exageration)

Katt :)
Katt

Porffor

Help! which one please
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 10:04 »
no reply from me, other than to ask where you are ordering from? I'm planning on visiting my local feedstore but wondered if there is somewhere better on line... though i like supporting my local shop.

Foxy

Help! which one please
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:08 »
Some red mite powders are "repellent" ie Barrier Red Mite powder, Diatom which is "diatomaceous earth" also called "Mitex" actually kills the red mite. Both are harmless and made of natural ingredients.
Hope this helps! :lol:
With regard to poop odour I am not sure about neutralising the odour as I just use garlic as a health boost.

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
Help! which one please
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:25 »
Thanks for the rapid response , I'll go for the Diatomaceous Earth then I think.
Unfortunately I don't have anywhere close to me who stocks these kind of items so have to order on-line, I'm gonna order from omlet.co.uk ( the peeps who sell the eglu) as I don't know where else to look, I don't have an egloo myself but did think about it once.

katt

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Help! which one please
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 11:35 »

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
Help! which one please
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 13:48 »
Ohh yes another to add to my list of potential chicky sites. :)

perhaps it would be good to start a new thread on recommended websites for chicken bits an bobs.....or is there one already on the go somewhere?

katt

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Help! which one please
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 14:49 »
There are some more suppliers in this link Katt.  I know what you mean about finding people locally, Most of our petshops and suppl;iers are 10+ miles away.  The few nearer are VERY expensive.

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4748

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
Help! which one please
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 15:04 »
Great thank you :)

katt

compostqueen

Help! which one please
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 15:13 »
omlet is a good site for finding out about all things chook related, as is this, but their shops sells the lot and the descriptions are good, so you won't be left in any doubt abut what you need  :D  

Do you really need bokashi?  I thought that was for making compost  :?

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
Help! which one please
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 15:17 »
I don't know if I need it or not :lol:  I'm just buying things that I think I need..hehe I do throw their poop in the compost bin though so maybe its not a bad idea, I'm sure the novelty of buying all things chicken related will ware off soon, either that or Mr. Katt will hide my credit card :shock:

compostqueen

Help! which one please
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 15:23 »
My hens have been well since I got them. They were vaccinated so I expect no problems.  They are well fed and cared for.  You won't need to worm them yet as they are probably POL's I'd guess. I think they get wormed about a year after you got them or if they show signs.  I did buy, from the guy I bought them off, a container of apple cider vingegar which everyone seems to use for their hens. This is added to the water in their feeder, about one quarter teaspoon to a full water container, this is to ward off internal parasites.

The poop goes in the garden compo bin or you can bung it round the roses. I want a compo bin spesh for hen poop and I'm trying to get one of Freecycle but not having much luck as yet

Enjoy the hens and look forward to them getting some sunshine soon  :D

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Help! which one please
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 15:41 »
Diatom kills lice as well as other nasdties so well worth getting! Good luck!
Judi

Foxy

Help! which one please
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 16:38 »
This is a good site for chickeny bits and bobs -as well as diatom. I like the comprehensive explanations here too!  :lol:

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/acatalog/Diatom_Parasite_Control.html

PS you will never get tired of buying chikeny things! :wink:

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
Help! which one please
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 17:27 »
Thanks foxy...ooh you temptress you, yet another site to challenge  my poor old credit card with.

Porffor

Help! which one please
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 17:47 »
gonna check out those sites! :) thanks everyon, and Katt for rasiing a great thread!  8)

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 37 queries.