B&B in Yorkshire!

• 22 Replies

peggyprice

B&B in Yorkshire!
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 21:50 »
Quote from: "Newbie"
well its thanks to a homing pidgeon that I will be getting my chookies on saturday.  Last year one landed in our garden and wouldn't go away.  The owner was in scotland and the bird had been released from Ireland but loads of em from the same rac had got blown off course in a storm.  

We got in touch with the owner who asked if we could take it somewhere and release it.  We were going out for the day so popped it in the cat basket (minus the cat :lol: ) and released it when we got to our destination over 2o miles away.  It was back in the garden the next day..... :roll:

When we spoke to the owner again he asked if we could find anyone locally who kept pidgeons, we decided we would keep her so hubby set to work building a rather grand pidgeon loft.  She turned out to be the local bike and swanned off with the first wild pidgeon that tried it on....  

So have now persuaded hubby to make some adaptations and build a run.  Girls arrive on saturday :D

Did your OH actually get to SEE the pigeon ... sounds like a very cunning plan to me  :wink:  :lol:  :wink:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

B&B in Yorkshire!
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 22:01 »
lol, no I'm not that devious.... 8)  mind you the hen count has gone from 2-4 on the basis that then the kids can have one each...  I'm sure he won't mind eating the eggs.  haven't broken the news that they won't lay for the first 6 weeks at least.  I think he is expecting eggs on day one :roll:   If we had more room for their run I would be having 10-12 cos the pidgeon shed/loft is over 5ft high with a few perches that are 3ft wide so they have loads of inside space. ah well I'll think of something.  perhaps a high rise run, ground floor with ramp up to first floor, twice the floor space....hmmmmm

Porffor

B&B in Yorkshire!
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 22:07 »
lol hmmmm says it all! ;)

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
B&B in Yorkshire!
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 22:21 »
UPDATE:

We still have Mr Pigeon with us for another night of B & B in Yorkshire and we now know he is a Geordie.
We have had a call from his owner in Newcastle saying the pigeon was released on Saturday in France and the winds were so strong lots of pigeons have been blown off course.

Mr Clark (owner) has asked if we could release the pigeon if the weather is good i.e. no wind or rain and he should find his way home……………….fingers crossed and has promised to let us know he has arrived home safely.

Lets hope for good weather tomorrow and I will keep you posted.

kimT

B&B in Yorkshire!
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 08:46 »
Mr Pigeon was released this morning at 8am after doing a few laps above our house and getting his barrings he was last seen heading due north!

Fingers crossed he gets home safely and we get that call from the owner tonight.

si-mate

• Experienced Member
B&B in Yorkshire!
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 09:27 »
We've had them at work a few times and every time we've contacted the owner they couldn't be less interested in getting them back. We then just take them to a wood and let them go.

kimT

B&B in Yorkshire!
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 21:06 »
Slight glitch!

The pigeon set off as I said in the post before and within an hour he was back!

It's now just gone 9pm and there is no sign of him so we really hope he is now safe in his loft in Newcastle.

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
B&B in Yorkshire!
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 22:19 »
Fingers crossed Kim
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

xx
Breeders still in Yorkshire?

Started by PotteryWalrus on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 29, 2021, 21:14
by PotteryWalrus
xx
Yorkshire breeders

Started by clive3sheds on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 19:32
by clive3sheds
xx
yorkshire pudding

Started by bee on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 27, 2009, 21:51
by kimT
xx
help, mottled pekin yorkshire

Started by tryingtobegreen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 05:54
by tryingtobegreen

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 36 queries.