Berlotti Beans - oh dear

• 9 Replies

Oliveview

Berlotti Beans - oh dear
« on: May 26, 2008, 16:51 »
I read today on my Berlotti Bean packet (there was no picture) that I had to pick the beans young-to encourage more beans to come-   so I went and picked my crop (about 40) and chopped them up like you would do runner beans.  I´ve just looked at preparing berlotti beans on the internet and it shows white beans!!  I´ve picked mine while they are like flat runner beans :(  :oops:
How big is ´pick while young´?   :roll:  If only the bean packet had had a picture on!  I had it in the back of my mind they were ´beans´ and not pods, if you know what I mean, but reading pick while young threw me!  We live and learn every day.
Pamela

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Berlotti Beans - oh dear
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 17:58 »
According to my research - (T & M catalogue!), Borlotti beans can be picked at any stage, but it is more usual to let them grow on to maturity & use them as dried beans.

I'm by no means expect with them, I was given 6 seed last year which I grew to maturity, gave some away and have planted the remainder this year. I was going to harvest the dried bean, especially as I have stack of green/purple beans!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

Berlotti Beans - oh dear
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 18:30 »
They can be used at any stage, but not really great for green beans, dry well, but I most like them freshly shelled, for this purpose harvest when the pods are swollen with seeds showing through but still green pods.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Oliveview

Berlotti Beans - oh dear
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 19:27 »
Fingers crossed I get more beans! These I WILL leave to turn to ´beans´  :oops:
Pamela

wighty

Berlotti Beans - oh dear
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 20:25 »
We bought borlotti and cannellini beans this year for the first time and have foudn the packets are not very clear on growing methods.  We have planted each next to a four foot cane so that we can tie in  or it can grow up as it wishes.  The packet is more into a recipe for using them than info.

kezlou

Berlotti Beans - oh dear
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 20:32 »
Hi Oliveview,

Don't know if this any good for its a past link about berlotti beans storing etc.

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=9059
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

puravida

• Experienced Member
Berlotti Beans - oh dear
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 20:38 »
As far as I gather they are pretty multi purpose in that you can pick then young as you did and eat them like french/runner beans  -  or you can grow them a little longer and then either cook them up like you would broad beans or else dry them.
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

Trillium

Berlotti Beans - oh dear
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 21:56 »
I'm growing them for the first time as well, and plan to freeze the fresh beans rather than the whole pod affair.

I recall Aidy's comments on it:
 Grow Borlotti Beans as normal climbing beans, grew them last year and will do again this year, loved them, only thing I doing different is freezing the beans rather than drying as a bag went mouldy. Starting mine off late april, they shot the pole once they were established.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Berlotti Beans - oh dear
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 05:31 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
they shot the pole once they were established.

Blooming heck.

Hope I'm growing the non-violent cultivar.

Hopefully I don't resemble a person from Poland, so should be OK in any event.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Berlotti Beans - oh dear
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 09:34 »
:oops:  note to self, always proof read before hitting the submit button. Last years was really good, this years are being attacked by some grubby maggot (knicked named Gordon) that have sucked the life out of the plant. I have some more to go in so yesterday moved the poles after cleaning and sprinkled some banned substance around them, will transplant in a week or two. Fingers crossed.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Berlotti Beans

Started by basil on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 02, 2007, 17:17
by yummy
xx
Runner beans oh dear,,

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 22:58
by penninehillbilly
xx
oh dear

Started by greenstan77 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 19:56
by SnooziSuzi
xx
oh dear

Started by mat whitlock on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2016, 19:55
by mat whitlock

Page created in 0.877 seconds with 29 queries.