im sure i seen a post on here about using frontline on chickens

i have had a look around and cannot find it :oops:

does anyone know where it is or have i dreamt it

Vember

frontline
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 09:28 »
Found this :

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=5250

I use frontline on my birds and it is ok to use just not licenced for poultry but I've neva had any problems, I've also found it is as effective when watered down a bit :)

Foxy

frontline
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:11 »
I use it too -very occasionally, ie before a  show or for new birds. I would also use it for scaly mite however have not needed too (touchwood!)
If I do use I use the spray so I can be specific my birds have feathered feet and muffling around their face.

Routinely though I prefer scrupulous cleaning and sprinkling with Mitex (or diatom)in the nestboxes, perches and all nooks and crannies. :lol:  :lol:

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
frontline
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:40 »
I use frontline on my cats (the drops around the neck) how much of a tube would you use on chickens?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
frontline
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 10:54 »
The quantity to use is on the link above blulagoo  :D

Porffor

frontline
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 10:56 »
also interested.. new birds, and have frontline for my dogs (small dogs) so would I share one between two birds or water it down further? Can you keep it once watered down for next time? or just bin it?

will need to search for cleaning a chickens :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
frontline
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:59 »
Quote from: "Porffor"
also interested.. new birds, and have frontline for my dogs (small dogs) so would I share one between two birds or water it down further? Can you keep it once watered down for next time? or just bin it?

Have you read Babe's advice on the link above ?

Quote from: "Porffor"
will need to search for cleaning a chickens :)

What do you mean  ?

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
frontline
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 11:05 »
I think one of our hens may have scaley mite? Has ry looking legs with some scales raised. Can I use frontline spray to treat this then or should i stick to vaseline trick

Bodger

frontline
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 11:08 »
If you have a largish number of birds to deal with, you may find Ivomec a little bit more cost effective, but for three or four birds, Frontline or a cheaper version of it, would be very effective.

Porffor

frontline
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:35 »
Aunt Sally - sorry nipped away from the pc before reading the other thread.. will read in a min. :)
The cleaning I mean is in relations to:
Quote from: "Foxy"

Routinely though I prefer scrupulous cleaning and sprinkling with Mitex (or diatom)in the nestboxes, perches and all nooks and crannies. :lol:  :lol:

Have just re-read that above and realise that Foxy was referring to cleaning the boxes and henhouse!  :oops: thought she meant she cleans her chickens!  :roll:  

Have just read the other thread and it makes sense. :) it says that frontline will kill mites and lice.. i take it this is the mites other than red mites? Think I will go down the front line road. :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
frontline
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 11:56 »
It will kill red mites on the bird too as it is systemic.  It won't kill any that are hiding in the hen hous though.

A sprinkle of diatom around the hen house after a thorough cleaning will be a very good idea th keep them at bay  :D

Foxy

frontline
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 12:00 »
Ok here is how I clean out my chooks! I  do this monthly. Weekly a quick cleanout  and checking for mites,hot weather a quick dusting of perchs and nestboxes.

Monthly:
1. Remove all shavings, straw and ensure all areas clear of any organic material ie. chicken poo. Remove perches.

2. Good spray of Jeyes  all over to disinfect (or every few months I use Virkon a good antiviral disinfectant )  In the spring and summer once or twice I spray Milben Ex (others use Poultry Shield) using a pressure sprayer to ensure the stuff gets into every nook and cranny. Leave to dry all day.

3. When dry I add a sprinkling of "stalosan" to the floor (a good disinfectant and deodoriser) and then a couple of inches woodshavings.
Perches pressure washed and mitex dusted on ends. Nestboxes refilled with shavings and straw plus a healthy powdering of mitex.

I am sure we all have different ways to do this or favorite cleaning agents depending on house size and construction. MIne are all wooden so I take particular care in the spring and summer with the increased risk of red mite :lol:

Porffor

frontline
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 12:01 »
Thanks :) feel better knowing i know something about keeping them clean! :lol:

Will treat with frontline and get diatom soon too. :) I gave the hutch a good clean before they moved in, but haven't treated for redmite before. I've only ever used a general disinfectant for rabbits/guinea pigs in there.

Porffor

frontline
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 12:05 »
Thanks Foxy! :)
I have been poo picking daily - easy job as the girls perch at night. :) so far our nest area is unused!
will adopt some of your rountine though. ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
frontline
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 12:15 »
Foxy's cleaning regime sound very thorough and I would think will keep most chooks away from creepy crawlies.

It is not something I have ever needed to do having an eglu, so for all eglu owners out there this is what I do.

Once a month or so I take the eglu to pieces and give it a wash with clean water with a few drops of washing up liquid in and rinse with plain water. I have recently bought a Kartcher so I use this instead about every 3 months.  I dry it off or leave the bits in the sun then reassemble.  The whole cleaning process takes about 20 mins.

I have a spare set of roosting bars so that I don't need to put the wet ones back in.  I dust the ends of the clean roosting bars with diatom.  I refill the litter tray and nest box with aubiose (or Hemcore) with a tiny sprinkle of diatom.

Every morning I remove any poos from the nest and a couple of time per week I remove them from the litter tray.  No need to change the aubiose at this time though.

xx
Frontline

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 00:48
by mohs.ayaz
xx
Frontline?

Started by PJM on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 17:17
by conventgirl
xx
how often to use frontline

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 20:09
by wolverine
xx
Frontline

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 12:05
by joyfull

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 37 queries.