What's your earliest chicken memory? Other than eating it..

• 21 Replies

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 19:08 »
SHE PUT IT IN A PIE AND THEY ATE IT!!!

She told them Beauty (that was its name) had run away and if they ever saw black and white rabbits in the wild they were her babies!!

One of my sister's didn't know until I told her after my gran had died. She still feels sick at the thought of it - and who can blame her. At least I am guilt free as I was a mere twinkle.

Porffor

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 19:49 »
:lol: she sounds like she was a right character!
We had black rabbits in hertfordshire before we moved, wild on the farm i kept my horses on. :) maybe it was beauty living on! lol or some other childs rabbit that they'd got bored of! ;)

conventgirl

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 14:53 »
I have always had chickens and ducks.  My dad had always had them as a boy so when he married my mum that was one of the pets he said he would like to have. My dad is now 68!  So i blame him entirely for making me love chucks, ducks and geese  :)

Dad tells the story of during the war my grandparents had about 30 chickens in a run at the top of the garden.  Food was scarce and grandad was a spitfire pilot.  He managed to acquire 2 huge tins of jam but as he wasnt allowed to bring anything out of the airfield especially food so he decided that he would 'drop' them from the plane!!

He had said to my grandma that he would fly round the house twice and every time he passed he would lower one wing so she would know it was him. Then on this 3rd fly past he would dip the wing and throw out the jam!!  This he did but with the 2nd tin of jam the angle wasnt correct and it landed straight in the chicken pen...unfortunately this killed 5 chucks  :(

Sadly i never met my grandad but i am sure there would have been plenty more tales to tell.

My dad also had a very tame pet duck which loved being carried round on his shoulder (a bit like a pirates parrot) and i always wanted to get one to do that with me but sadly it never happened.

My earliest memory of chucks is that every easter we would have a pen in the lounge with a mop head and a light and about 6 chicks...much better than chocolate  :)

All my friends would love coming round so they could feed the chucks and collect the eggs.  The chucks were always someone you could go and chat to, read a story to or have adventures with...i certainly didnt need an imaginary friend!!  :wink:

x

Porffor

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 15:20 »
:lol: at the plane antics of your GD.. sounds amazing - but poor chooks!  :shock:

What is the mop head for with the chicks? sorry am new to chickens. :)

Sounds like a natural progression that you keep chickens, ducks and geese and one your GD would be proud of i'm sure! :)

conventgirl

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 16:41 »
Porffor, we used the mop head to act like the feathers of a hen and the light was to give warmth...was just something we used to do  :)

We are a bit mad like that!!  :oops:

Porffor

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 16:46 »
not at all i'm sure! I can see how that'd work.. and have heard of the light on a box here :) so that is still used, just hadn't heard of the mop head.

People make 'mops' for aquariums as some fish like spawning in them! ;) stops eggs being eaten by other fish and some fish keepers move the 'mop' into a nursery tank before the fish hatch. :)

viks chicks

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 21:35 »
Bizarrely my first memories (Aged 4years) of chickens were of fear and loathing. I went to visit my gran every sunday and spent all my holidays on her farm-where she free ranged 100 chickens. Every time I got out of the car-they all swarmed around me and pecked my ankles. Why did they do that to me and not my brother I wander? Anyhow I was terrified of them-and my mum used to carry me to the house. But often as I was playing they would hunt me down to peck me! I also remember being told to collect their eggs from under the broodies-who would 'Growl' and peck me. I  have no idea why that didn't scar me for life-and why I would want my own now! But I have caught the disease and want 4 more!

xx
Chicken eating poo

Started by Beano on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 11:08
by Beano
question
Chicken not eating

Started by Tricky on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 19, 2011, 20:15
by kegs
xx
Chicken eating egg.

Started by shay on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 08:31
by shay
xx
Chicken eating its own egg...

Started by simbleby on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 13:19
by simbleby

Page created in 1.096 seconds with 36 queries.