Rabbit netting

• 10 Replies

woodburner

Rabbit netting
« on: May 25, 2008, 12:46 »
If Munty's post is anything to go by I am probably doomed whatever I use, but: What is the best stuff for keeping the dear sweet fluffy b*****s off my plot?

Quote from: "muntjac"
sorry to spil ya dream mercury mate . i have seen rabbits run up 6 ft chicken wire . run on invisible paths on a 40 ft chalk quarry face ,run up a hanging branch elm over a rabbit fence jump down the other side onto a fallen log ,which i guess it used to get to the barley in the first place , also seen a rabbit swim a river , funniest was watching one run across a horse jump pole layed on a corner post where some rabbit netting had been dug in .it climbed up the bales and ran along the post to hop off the other end to safety folowed by 2 baby ones , rabbits aint stupid by a long way lol , we gas em fil the holes in al around the bury and they migrate in from around the area and dig the holes out we filled in as regular as clock work,,
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
rabbits
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 14:11 »
1.2 mt wire netting with 25mm holes and the bottom foot folded flat and buried into the ground.
Leaving about .9 mt high fence.
I reckon anything less and the little devils will hop over or dig under.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

Bigbadfrankie

Rabbit netting
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 14:49 »
I have a load of rabbits, and as Munty says they are clever (I think they drink carling black lable). But if food is availible out side the fence they will usually not go to great lengths to get inside the fence. But any fence is no real problem to them. If I turn up with the gun they just run sraight up the fence and off they go. I watch them to see where they are getting in and rarely do they jump in, so keep the bottom of the fence secure.
always have a target
and an objective.

Lynne

Rabbit netting
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 15:47 »
I do exactly the same as slowcompost and so far, so good. They haven't breached it in almost 12 months, although they try. I think they give up and go and stuff on neighbouring plots which aren't protected. 8)
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

woodburner

Rabbit netting
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 17:29 »
Thanks for your replies :)
The other plotholders on my site (all two of them ;) ) have put up fencing around more or less of their plots, so no chance of them getting an easy meal there. That and the rumour of rampaging r*****s at that end of the village is why I am asking what's best.  :(

The website I am going to get chicken wire from also sells 'rabbit fencing', it's 3'6" wide, 6" to be turned out and buried, as it has slightly larger holes than you good people are using - 31mm (whatever that is in old money ;) ) it sounds to be not far off the mark.

Would burying 6" be enough? Also 2" mesh 4ft wide is actually cheaper, but is this too big hole size?

muntjac

Rabbit netting
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 13:10 »
5ft wire .1.1/2 inch holes bury the first 2 ft at an L angle facing out .put old oil paint or creosote down as you back fill :wink:
still alive /............

woodburner

Rabbit netting
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 10:05 »
I've just had a major snag of dug-in r****t netting pointed out to me.

How do you keep the grass and weeds down along the fence?

Just had an idea.  :idea:  :D  If I put the netting up 1ft in from the edge of the plot, I can keep that 1ft cultivated for b***y proof plants, if such things exist!  :o

Any suggestions?

blackbob

• Experienced Member
Re: Rabbit netting
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 10:31 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
If Munty's post is anything to go by I am probably doomed whatever I use, but: What is the best stuff for keeping the dear sweet fluffy b*****s off my plot?

sorry to spil ya dream mercury mate . i have seen rabbits run up 6 ft chicken wire . run on invisible paths on a 40 ft chalk quarry face ,run up a hanging branch elm over a rabbit fence jump down the other side onto a fallen log ,which i guess it used to get to the barley in the first place , also seen a rabbit swim a river , funniest was watching one run across a horse jump pole layed on a corner post where some rabbit netting had been dug in .it climbed up the bales and ran along the post to hop off the other end to safety folowed by 2 baby ones , rabbits aint stupid by a long way lol , we gas em fil the holes in al around the bury and they migrate in from around the area and dig the holes out we filled in as regular as clock work,,

this is my method http://www.airgun.co.nz/images/ph600_weihrauchhw100t.jpg

fills the freezer aswell :lol:

woodburner

Rabbit netting
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 13:22 »
Quote from: "blackbob"

this is my method http://www.airgun.co.nz/images/ph600_weihrauchhw100t.jpg

fills the freezer aswell :lol:

I don't think I'd be very popular walking past the childrens' play area with a gun of any sort   :tongue2:

I've been thinking about trapping then but don't know how to dispatch them once I'd caught one.

fluffybunny

Rabbit netting
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 16:05 »

I've been thinking about trapping then but don't know how to dispatch them once I'd caught one.

To be honest there's probably no point, it would be just like picking off one piece of straw from a giant bale.  You'll never get rid of them all so you are better off focusing your efforts on stopping them from getting in!

muntjac

Rabbit netting
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 14:05 »
round up down the netting and old oil  :wink:  them wabbits dont like oily paws :wink:

xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
Rabbit Poo

Started by caliban on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 14:56
by poppies
xx
Rabbit Frustration

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 17:43
by NN2Blue
xx
Rabbit Manure

Started by PhilandCath on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 19:52
by tam

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 29 queries.