Its raining...

• 23 Replies

Porffor

Its raining...
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 13:50 »
:lol:
Camping holidays are often a wet affair. :) Our first ever under canvas lead to gales and lashing rain.. new tent.. so Graham and I were out at 3am checking tent pegs!! You could hear the wind on it's way to pummel the tent!
I love the force of nature/weather. :)

Girls are now dried out as it's stopped (for now). :) just been out to say hello and Shimmer allowed me to stroke her without catching her, so that's progress. :)

My sister is a vet nurse (small animal) recently moved from London to Scotland (rural area) and has announced to me today (when talking of Shimmer and scarlet) that she plans to get some chickens and keep them in an arc style run. :) She mentioned that e-coli and Salmonella are rife when handling birds.. is this true? Obviously I wash my hands as does Erin after handling, but wondered what you all thought of it.

poultrygeist

Its raining...
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 13:56 »
Quite right. Makes you feel vulnerable but in charge at the same time (ooo, hark at me the poet!).

Often tempted to put my tent up in the back garden but I'm worried the locks might get changed while I'm in there.  :shock:

I remember the last camping holiday with parents was up in West Yorkshire round Bronte country. I think it was June or July but weather was like this. We found a farm to pitch on before it got dark and spent the coldest night I've ever known fully clothed in sleeping bags shivering, just hoping mornign hurried up and arrived so we could get home and have a warm bath. Didn't put me off for long mind you.

Rob

Porffor

Its raining...
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 14:04 »
Ideal British weather! :) A friend of mine races Rally cars, she was racing near us and asked what the weather was like.. I laughed and said pack for warm weather, cold weather and wet weather and you'll be fine! :lol: she did.. and she was! She saw all three weather types in the space of 48 hours!  :lol:

poultrygeist

Its raining...
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 14:16 »
It's what makes the British special.  :D

Adaptability.

Porffor

Its raining...
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 14:19 »
:lol: definately!

peggyprice

Its raining...
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 23:28 »
The only time I've ever slept in a tent I was woken in the middle of the night by a really, really weird sensation - like I could hear the ground rumbling underneath me.

Realised about ten minutes later we'd camped right next to a railway line ... :oops:

Am hoping for some rain soon; I spent all day planting out my veg in my new raised beds (yey, I have a veggie patch at last  :lol: ) on the basis that it was going to be wet tonight ... so far, not a flippin' drop... :roll:

Can't help on the ecoli/salmonella score, P - though I haven't noticed it mentioned round here except as a question, so I guess maybe it isn't that big a problem?
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Porffor

Its raining...
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 23:52 »
lol my first ever camp under canvas was at the age of 15 with a bunch of kids from my estate. :) We were on an 'adventure playground holiday' in Abergavenny. Have never forgotten it! :) woke to something nudging me... sat up and saw a shape... scared the life out of me!  :shock: woke my friend - we looked out the tent... after plucking up the courage.. to find cows!!!  :shock: first time i'd ever been close to one and thought we were going to be trampled!
We were in the middle of a field... had no idea there were cows in it till they woke us! lol they pulled the guy ropes out of the ground on another tent! :lol:

Well done on your veggie patch. :) gives you a great sense of satisfaction doesn't it! :)

peggyprice

Its raining...
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 00:38 »
Certainly does ... and an aching back  :lol:

Its the first time I've ever actually managed to make a bit of garden the way I've imagined it ... I've always been really good at virtual gardening before  :lol:

Not convinced that anything I'm growing will actually get as far as giving me a crop though - last year my tomatoes ripened too late to be edible because of the rain, my peas were eaten before they had a chance to grown more than three inches, my cucumbers were finished off by slugs and my little patch of sweetcorn was flattened by either pigeons or cats about a week before it was ripe to pick  :evil:  :evil:  :!:

And don't brassicas take up a ridiculous amount of room??  Bought some plants last week in a flurry of excitement before we built the raised beds - I've only planted half of them and already most of my planting space is gone  :roll:

oops, sorry folks ... wrong forum  :oops:

Porffor

Its raining...
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 08:11 »
lol I don't mind! :) I'm one of those 'bung it in and see how it does' so i have a lot of one of this, one of that this year. :) Will be getting some netting at some point i think though. :) I have a dodgy back and have a walled part to my garden (as we are on a hill) so am using that as my raised bed.. just got a little bit to actually plant 'on the ground' :)

well.. it's windy but dry so far today - no good for Erin to ride in, but fine for the chooks! :) they are happy and have been perched during the night so that's nice to know they are both using it. :)
I check daily for eggs, but nothing yet! :lol: I know it may take a good few weeks though. :)

xx
raining,what do you do?

Started by pauldc on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 16:27
by Fat Hen
xx
It's raining eggs

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 22:31
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Real newbie here - help its raining!!

Started by KathyH on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 20:54
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 36 queries.