Cucumber wilt

• 14 Replies

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
Cucumber wilt
« on: May 23, 2008, 18:52 »
What causes this ... I have 8 healthy looking plants all together ... then suddenly there were 6  :?  

... their stems just 'evaporated' the roots looked healthy enough! :cry:
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Cucumber wilt
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 18:55 »
Probably stem rot.

Don't over water & keep water away from the base of the stem.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
Cucumber wilt
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 19:04 »
:(

gobs

Cucumber wilt
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 19:09 »
Draught. Now this might sound funny, but not intended, if temperatures go down like recently they did in most parts, some plants are unable to utilise moisture from cold soil, cucumber is one of those. So they can wilt. As if in draught.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

DD.

• Global Moderator
Cucumber wilt
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 19:27 »
They haven't just wilted, gobs - the stems have 'disappeared', i.e. rotted!

Not too late to get some more going, I've done it in June. Garden centres may still have some in.

If it's any comfort, Jack Frost ran off with 6 of my outdoor ones & I've had to re-sow.

gobs

Cucumber wilt
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 20:20 »
I know, where you are coming from, and you probably right, that a lot of things escape the attention of most of us.

A recent post of Richy's just drown my eye to how many diseases are commonly called stem rot, but then stem rot on its own is as rare as hen's teeth, if at all exists, other parts of plant also will be affected, especially at death stage.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Cucumber wilt
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 20:29 »
Quote from: "gobs"
but then stem rot on its own is as rare as hen's teeth

chickchick

Cucumber wilt
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 23:30 »
my bestest 'baby' in the garden (my beloved cucumber plant!!) has got droopy, wilty leaves but healthy buds will it be ok? i love this plant is was like a triffid and i talk to it everyday :lol:

lincspoacher

Cucumber wilt
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 23:51 »
I asked a professional grower about this.............

Cucumber stem rot is very specific. Its a fungus that normally only enters via  wounds  such as a broken leaf stem. Small groups of black pycnidia develop on the infection sites, and small pale green spots with yellow fringes appear on the edges of older leaves, then the centres of those spots become dry and pale.

Usually only affects cucumber stems when the fruit is in contact with the ground, but can be triggered by  warm, wet conditions, excessive use of manure, heavy pruning or wild fluctuations of temperature.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
Cucumber wilt
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 15:10 »
My best cuc has taken a sudden nose dive, the stem remains rigid but the leaves have wilted and gone floppy. I think it's due to the blustery wind we're having. Although I have it largely surrounded by polythene with a small opening for ventilation, it's succumbed. Anyway, I've brought it into the living room and put it by the large window, will it recover or will I have to start again?  :(

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
Cucumber wilt
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 09:02 »
They seem to be making a comeback, not as hopeless looking today, fingers crossed  :) .

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
Cucumber wilt
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 21:04 »
I have exactly the same problem, I am down to 4 plants now :(
And I was so proud that I had managed to raise them myself this year without any casualties.

Without having any real clue I thought maybe my enthusiastic watering might be responsible: I sort of just poured a big puddle round the plant..  :(

muntjac

Cucumber wilt
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 21:31 »
over watering could be the answer .only water at night ,make sure they have ventilation .if you senn any sign of problems use a vinegar spray . 1/2 cup to a couple pints .vinegar has antiseptic qualities  :wink:  " werks for me "
still alive /............

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Cucumber wilt
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 23:43 »
had a "wilty" problem, put it down to over watering, not done cu's before from seed, assumed they needed well watering but I think its the reverse, I will now water from the bottom only......

ps havent watered for a week and they seem to have perked up a bit, lost one plant tho.....
Death OR Cake ???

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
Cucumber wilt
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 22:09 »
Soooooooo chuffed to say that both my plants are making a come-back. Remember the plant I chopped the curling-up leaf off that went circular? It's heads above my best plant  :D. My best plant is growing more steadily, lower leaves are yellowing so not watering them for now. They're both still in my living room  :wink:
Thanks for the advice  :wink:

xx
Why did my radish wilt?

Started by CAMcEwan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 00:16
by Salmo
xx
Gooseberry wilt

Started by Jome on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 22:44
by Jome
xx
potato wilt

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 10:43
by JayG
xx
Verticillium wilt?

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 21:51
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 37 queries.