naturesparadise

bodyguards
« on: May 23, 2008, 18:27 »
i got some bodyguards for me chicks  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Jellyhead

bodyguards
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 18:52 »
aaah bless :D
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Vember

bodyguards
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 19:11 »
:lol:  :lol:
They all look happy :)

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
bodyguards
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 19:31 »
They're great guards and I've seen mine chase a fox off the drive, cats and even dogs! When there is a hunt, the peacocks follow any straggler dogs till they're a safe distance from their territory!

Have you found a nest...those peahens should be laying at the moment. If not follow them and look for nest in long grass but be careful they don't see you as they'll lead you all round the garden and more...!! My free female has 3 eggs and has decided that's enough and she's sitting tight now...just below the kitchen window...how's that for trust??! 8)  In the aviary there are two nests each with 10 eggs in but, as yet, they're still going and not sitting yet!! We could have a lot of peachicks this year!!

Judi :wink:

naturesparadise

bodyguards
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 21:25 »
Quote from: "Lost in France"
They're great guards and I've seen mine chase a fox off the drive, cats and even dogs! When there is a hunt, the peacocks follow any straggler dogs till they're a safe distance from their territory!

Have you found a nest...those peahens should be laying at the moment. If not follow them and look for nest in long grass but be careful they don't see you as they'll lead you all round the garden and more...!! My free female has 3 eggs and has decided that's enough and she's sitting tight now...just below the kitchen window...how's that for trust??! 8)  In the aviary there are two nests each with 10 eggs in but, as yet, they're still going and not sitting yet!! We could have a lot of peachicks this year!!

Judi :wink:

there not nesting they are ignoring the male in fact his on his own alot now

there have been reports of him attacking cars  :?  :?

but most of the time he just wonders around on his own

i have been trying to find white peacock hatching eggs cant find any  :cry:

Porffor

bodyguards
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 22:22 »
OOh i love peacocks (and hens) :) grew up in London where we would visit Holland Park and feed the peacocks and hens. :) always a winner when I was a kid. :)

naturesparadise

bodyguards
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 22:56 »
well the landlord has put me in charge of all the animals we have here

geese chooks pheasants peacocks ducks

the Avery birds the lot

Porffor

bodyguards
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 07:32 »
Sounds like a fanatstic job! And a joy to go to work. :D

I work with animals.. but they have 2 legs (most of the time) :lol: children! :lol: We're foster carers.  8)

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
bodyguards
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 11:55 »
Hi Naturesparadise...you might not see the mating but listen for a "yahooooo!" noise..it's the male peacocks equivalent to a cigarette afterwards!!  :wink: The females don't show any overt interest most of the time, seeming to ignore the males but he gets them in the end!!  :roll:

Still worth watching them if they disappear as there's still plenty of time, only 1 of mine has started sitting. My male is wandering at the moment but I think he's trying to find the female who's on the nest! he's not so clever as I know where it is!!!

Good luck trying to find the eggs, although it's lots of work rearing peachicks, even with a broody hen to help you!!

Judi

Jellyhead

bodyguards
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 12:11 »
Quote from: "naturesparadise"
well the landlord has put me in charge of all the animals we have here

geese chooks pheasants peacocks ducks

the Avery birds the lot

I do hope you get some renumeration NP given your circumtances :D and if not why not :wink:

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
bodyguards
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 12:52 »
How clever - I see your chooks drink bottled water! How do they manage with the lid?!

naturesparadise

bodyguards
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 13:03 »
Quote from: "blulagoo"
How clever - I see your chooks drink bottled water! How do they manage with the lid?!

lol its a drinker i made for them as they keep kicking there water over there is a hole in the side they just pop there heads in for a drink

peggyprice

bodyguards
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 22:04 »
Quote from: "naturesparadise"
Quote from: "blulagoo"

lol its a drinker i made for them as they keep kicking there water over there is a hole in the side they just pop there heads in for a drink

Neat idea, NP!  I tried one of those drinker things where you turn the pop bottle upside down, but it didn't work at all well for me - might try your way round instead  :)
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

barneyowl

bodyguards
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 22:21 »
Wonderful idea.  Have been trying to sell the peacock idea to "himself" but he tells me that they would decimate my garden.. Is this the case and if so...is there anyway round it?   :roll:
who cares wins

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 36 queries.