so cross-red mite

• 11 Replies

milly8

so cross-red mite
« on: May 23, 2008, 16:21 »
:( my poor wee chicks have red mite.i,m so cross cause i treated mum before they arrived just in case she had them(hadnt seen any but wanted to be sure) :?  and clean out their hutch every day.they were happily enjoying some sweetcorn in the sun this pm when i noticed!!! i have now treated all the chickens and chicks and recleaned both coops.how long do i wait before retreating? they are very cross with me at the min!!! :roll:
MAD MOTHER WITH TOO MANY ANIMALS!!!!!!

Foxy

so cross-red mite
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 16:35 »
what have you used to clean the house?
They are very persistent and difficult to eradicate. You will need to clean to coop again in a few days with something like "Poultry Sheild" and spray every nook and cranny -then again a week later until you are sure they have gone.
Good luck!

milly8

so cross-red mite
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 16:53 »
it was a red mite spray that i used and i sprayed both the coops inside and all the chickens.where have the stupid things come from!!!aaaggghhh so cross bout it as i clean their hutches every day and give them fresh sand to dust in every few days.

milly8

so cross-red mite
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 18:23 »
just been surfing bout red mite problem and it says that you only see them at night.the things i can see on the chick are tiny but moving quite fast and are pale red in colour.are these differantly red mite??also just checked the chick and the wee bugs are still moving even though i treated them today.should they not have died by now if i was using the right stuff.really worried cause the info says that they can cause death...

Foxy

so cross-red mite
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 20:03 »
Sounds like lice or fleas rather than mite. Check for mite anyway tonight by shining a torch where they roost you can see them crawling around better as you're absolutely right they are nocturnal -unless you have a really bad infestation!( you will see them hop on your clothes if its really bad)
Do they crawl through the base of the feathers and look rather like shiny sesame seeds? or can you see pale clumps at the base of moms feathers?
Have a look at poultry info sticky there is one on external parasites that may help.

Bodger

so cross-red mite
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 20:13 »
Lice are yellowy orange and you usually see them around the base of the feathers around the vent.

Northern mite are like fast moving black specks and are much smaller than lice but are found in the same areas. With a heavy infestation of these you will find scabs where the little sods are literaly eating the chickens alive. if you lift the dried scabs up, you will be horrified to find thousands of the little *. :shock:

Give me the lice any day.

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
so cross-red mite
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 12:04 »
I agree with other posters, doesn't sound like red mites as they don't live on the birds just in cracks and crevices and they sneak out whilst the girls are roosting. Have you tried Diatom? It will kill both mites and lice and is environmentally friendly...apart from parasites!! You just maintain a dusting round the henhouse and you can, if you like, dust the hens too. I rarely need to use anything else as the parasites have taken the hint...or they're all zapped!

Good luck,

Judi :wink:

milly8

so cross-red mite
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 13:16 »
ta,had spoken to our chicken man last night and have realised that they are some kind of louse.off to get right stuff now.poor wee things. : :cry:

milly8

so cross-red mite
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 14:58 »
all sorted thankgoodness.am going to retreat again on sat but so far so good.cant find diatom anywhere,where do you all get your from??

Porffor

so cross-red mite
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 18:04 »
:) great news! :) Glad they were lice and not red mites! :) now where are the cute pics? lol

peggyprice

so cross-red mite
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 19:33 »
Quote from: "milly8"
all sorted thankgoodness.am going to retreat again on sat but so far so good.cant find diatom anywhere,where do you all get your from??

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/acatalog/Health-Hygiene-Products.html  

:lol:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
so cross-red mite
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 21:00 »
Type it into internet or try SPR Centre who will send it. Again they can be found through Internet. As I'm not in UK, I get mine sent and pick up some when I come over. It's brilliant stuff!

Judi  :wink:

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
A cross?!

Started by Snaphappii on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 10:21
by Vember

Page created in 0.555 seconds with 29 queries.