New to allotments - new here too - poorly spuds?

• 10 Replies

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
« on: May 22, 2008, 17:28 »
Hi

Have taken over an allotment this year and have worked hard to get the plot ready.

We have 2 problems I was wondering if anyone can advise or help?

Potatoes - we have yellowing leaves - not all plants just some - we have a book and it seems to be pointing to Mosaic Virus - does anyone know if this can be treated, what the consequences are and if you can eat the potatoes that do grown?  I have also read that leaves can yellow during drought it has been very dry but we have watered well.

Peas/Mangetout/Broadbeans - we have been attacked by the pea and bean weevil (u-shaped bites out of the leaves) can anything be done to get rid of these?

Thanks for reading any advice or help would be appreciated.

willnbirdie

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 21:24 »
I'm not experienced enough to answer your questions, just wanted to say hello and that i'm sure someone will be along to answer your query.

Also you might try the search facility.
Liv.

shaun

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 21:37 »
hello there are you sure your spuds aint got a bit of frost bite,some folks had frost early this week,a picture would help no end,
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Poorly potatoes?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:30 »
Hi

Thanks for reading and the replies - have not got a piccie at the mo won't be able to get one for a few days but it does look very mcuh like this image I have found on the net

The leaves are still soft and healthy looking (just as I believe they should be) other than this yellowing.  I gave the pots a really good watering yesterday and we'll see what happens over the next couple of days.

Not sure that we have had a frost, the plot is 2 miles from home and we live on the coast and even in that distance we find the weather can be totally different.  Need to ask some of the others at the allotment if we've had frost.

Just hoping that these 2 problems we are experiencing do not affect our enthusiasm too much we are so loving our plot don't want poor yields or dead plants to put us off.

willnbirdie

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 15:13 »
Have you fed your potatoes. They are really hungry feeders and lack of nutriments can cause many leaf problems including yellowing.

noshed

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 15:35 »
Give them a belt of comfrey tea or seaweed fertilser, or anything really. It might help.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 15:35 »
Hi

Thanks very much for the reply Aunt Sally.

They were planted with well rotted horse manure and we added growmore raked into the soil at the time, that was about 8 weeks ago now.

How often do you need to feed potatoes - I will feed them at the weekend.

What is the best feed for potatoes is it grownmore or would it be better to use the water from soaked horsemanure?

willnbirdie

gobs

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 17:05 »
If you added plenty manure plus the growmore - don't see why, since you have much better stuff - that should be enough for them, depending on your soil, type and variety of potato, which is a bit of a trial and error.

My book recommends 15-20 lb manure per sq yard, that'll be about an inch layer on that area. If your soil is not too rich, you can chose to earth up once with some more muck, but overfeeding does have its bad sides. Go with what you have and see, don't think nutrient deficiencies would show this early and you should not have any by the sound of it, unless due to overfeeding. :wink:

Ground is plenty moist deep down, where their roots are, I would get evicted if watered potatoes at all, let alone now.

If you bought certified seed, virus is unlikely, especially as yet.

Frost, as Shaun says, most likely.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 19:53 »
Hi

Thanks everyone for your replies - I think we'll just keep an eye on things for the next few days - if more yellowing appears we'll try feeding and see what happens - we did have the idea of earthing up with manure but only cause one old fella down at the allotment told of his sucess when he planted a couple of spuds in his manure pile.  :o

Cheers for all the advice - now I have found you all I think I will be back for more help and advice as time rolls on - we have never grown any veg before and have only had the plot since Jan so we are most definately beginners.

willnbirdie

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 21:10 »
Hi

Thanks for all the advise a week ago - apparently there was a frost at the plot so I am now convinced that the yellowing is down to that - no more has appeared and the plants that have joined us above soil since the frost don't have any yellowing at all - cheers all

willnbirdie

woodburner

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 21:23 »
Glad to hear it :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty
xx
New Allotments

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 16:46
by Salkeela
xx
New Allotments

Started by nellie.b on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 18:08
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 28 queries.