Was getting 5 eggs now only 1???? 5 girls 1yr old

• 15 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
I have 4x 1 year old welsummers and 1 leghorn all in their first season of laying.  I was getting 4-5 eggs aday but the last week I have only been getting 1.  They are free range but always head back tot he coup to lay.  I kept them in yesterday and got 3 eggs but today only 1 again so I dont think they have been sneaking off to lay them.

Any ideas - I am missing my egg on toast and am making a huge carrot cake on sunday and need eggs  :)

I have recently got 2 young rir's and 1 white sussex pullets but these dont cause other bother, the big girls just bully them abit.
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

peggyprice

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 17:55 »
I know exactly what you mean!

A Warren, a Welsummer & a Black Rock - plus two young 'uns recently arrived not yet in lay - two weeks ago getting 2 or 3 eggs every day, this week averaging 1 a day if we're lucky, NOTHING AT ALL yesterday and the Black Rock hasn't layed (laid?) for 5 days !!!!

Help us out here somebody - are they on strike?
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Fannyann

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 18:06 »
could it be the weather? been darker with all the cloud around and a bit chilly? must say my warren and bovans nera are still giving us an egg a day. Had them just over a year.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 19:25 »
the weather certernally isnt effecting their hunger - I am definately not going out in flip flops again - I nearly lost half my toes!  They literally charge at me and folow me everywhere till I feed the rascalls.  They are eating loads!

Need some eggs to pay their way!!!!

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 19:50 »
the weather can throw them off laying ,try feeding a lot more greens and make sure they have oestraand grit. i ama great follower of dandelion leaves  for all upsets try feeding them from places where no pollution from cars etc can get to them :wink:
still alive /............

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 20:00 »
Are they going broody?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

peggyprice

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 22:30 »
No sign of mine going broody, and the weather has been just nice and middling - not as cold as when we first got them (and they didn't miss a day then, despite moving house), and not as hot as it has been.

Plenty of grit & oyster shell; added limestone flour & cod liver oil as per Aunty's advice; freeranging on grass; extra treats now and then of sultanas, apple, kiwi fruit ...

Can hens get into a synchronised cycle the way us girlies do??

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 23:45 »
Quote from: "peggyprice"
No sign of mine going broody, and the weather has been just nice and middling - not as cold as when we first got them (and they didn't miss a day then, despite moving house), and not as hot as it has been.

Plenty of grit & oyster shell; added limestone flour & cod liver oil as per Aunty's advice; freeranging on grass; extra treats now and then of sultanas, apple, kiwi fruit ...

Can hens get into a synchronised cycle the way us girlies do??

Are they being stroppy, blaming everyone else and thinking their bum looks extra big???  :lol:  :lol:

Porffor

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 07:37 »
That's not our cycle pookey.. that's just us being GIRLS! :lol:
It's genetic, my 3 year old and 9 year old daughters are the same! lol well ok, with the exception of the bum.. my 3 year old likes to parade hers around the house most of the time at the moment!  :roll:  :lol:

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 13:51 »
Ive got boys and they also like to parade - of course you see a whole lot more!!  My 3 year old insists on weeing in various containers etc.  Ive found some very suspicious wee packages in my fridge including a salt shaker filled and stored - awwww bless.  I wont even say where hes weed at play group!!!!!!

Oliveview

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 17:39 »
Our hens R I R (5 just over a year old ish and 5 about 8 months old) were laying every day and suddenly we went from 8 or 9 eggs to 3 or 4 if we were very lucky.  The weather has been very iffy here lately and our neighbour said it was that causing them to go off lay.  Today we got 6 eggs and the weather is lovely so maybe he was right.
Pamela

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 18:14 »
Mine are also hardly laying at the moment. 3 are broody and the rest...who knows! Never mind, they deserve a break, poor girlies, they lay so well most of the time...let them have a rest!!  :roll:

Judi :wink:

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 20:43 »
I got 3 today - weather cold and rainy though, hopefully I'll start getting the other couple aswell  :lol:

peggyprice

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 23:44 »
Quote from: "pookey"
I got 3 today - weather cold and rainy though, hopefully I'll start getting the other couple aswell  :lol:

Not a sausage here, never mind an egg  :evil:   Rain forecast for the w/e so we'll see if that makes any difference.  Stupid creatures  :evil:  :evil:

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 23:14 »
sorry peggy.  I got 4 today so hopefully yours will start again soon

xx
Feeding the girls surplus eggs

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 04, 2008, 07:54
by Bodger
xx
One of the girls is laying eggs with watery whites any ideas?

Started by mamashango184 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 17:17
by treacleminer
xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
wanted mandarin duck eggs and peacock eggs please - wales

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 16:00
by babe

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 36 queries.