one chick pecking another

• 4 Replies

Fannyann

« on: May 21, 2008, 15:24 »
We have hatched 2 chicks at school so far out of a batch of 6. The first is 48hrs old and in the brooder (cardboard box with desk lamp for heat) already. The 2nd was ready for the brooder but was pecked by the first when introduced. Have put 2nd back in incubator while waiting for advice. Should i buy an infa-red bulb? Donig this on small scale and budget is tight but don't want to compromise well being.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 16:41 »
Hi we hatched 10 out of 10 at school, they all hatched over 2 days - which was good and went in the brooder together. I have two of them as chickens in my garden - 10 weeks old now!  In the brooder we just used a normal bulb / desk lamp, although when I took them home i borrowed an infra red for them from 2 weeks old.

Fannyann

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 17:01 »
I already have a couple of  lovely hybrid chooks causing havoc in my garden and thought I'd add to the clan by having a few more. (welsummers this time)
I'm wondering whether this "bullying" is because they went in at differnet times so wonder if anyone else has had that situation?
Maybe the first one is just curious but didn't want to leave them together just in case of bloodshed! :shock:
Don't think the children are ready for that yet! We've had one die while hatching, 3 eggs left but no signs of cracking yet, fingers crossed.

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 20:30 »
I think some are just meaner. I had a chick nearly dead of cold and wet, so I brought her in, and made up a broder box. When she was dried out again, I brought another chick in to keep her company, glad that she wasn't the first, as I wasn't about to put her back with a neglectful mum. Until the new chick started bullying her, walking over her, pushing her out of the way and even pecking her. I thought 'blow this' and went to get a quieter chick, and realised that all the Cobbs were just as boisterous, but the other LS cross was quieter.  
These two bonded nicely, and I kept them together in the box.

If your problem doesn't resolve itself as more chicks join them, you can easily make a brooder box at very little cost. You'll need a safe source of water, a biggish box, (bigger still as they get bigger) some sort of anglepoise type lamp and a 60W reflector bulb. If you have to keep one chick on its own fluffy toy and a mirror are worth putting in too. If you can arrange something flulffy (like a clean new mophead or some fur fabric) so that they can snuggle underneath that's even better. HTH :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Fannyann

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 06:00 »
Am pleased to report that ater reintroducing them they seem to have bonded and eventually got some sleep snuggled together :roll:

The quieter one even had a bit of a peck at the bolder one which seems to have made a difference! Hopefully peace will continue, have enough squabbles to sort out at school with the children :!:

xx
Chick pecking its self?

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post November 13, 2009, 17:53
by jo40
xx
'Mum' feather pecking chick

Started by SarahJC on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 12:37
by SarahJC
xx
Chick pecking mother hen

Started by TashaH on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2015, 05:58
by Helenaj
xx
Feather Pecking Chick

Started by kegs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:38
by New shoot

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 36 queries.