Battery hens need homes.....

• 12 Replies

sarahc

« on: May 21, 2008, 14:17 »
If anyone is looking to keep hens, there are currently 7000 needing homes by June, I have heard of this through the rescue site i am a member on, and we are looking for good homes for as many of these birds as possible.
If anyone would be inerested in homing any of these I'd be happy to help sort some thing out.

I hope this is ok to post this, its just such a shame these will be distroyed, especially if people are looking to keep chickens.

Thanks, Sarah

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 14:23 »
i thought the BHWT had a waiting list, and that they only rescue the amount that they already have homes for?

7000 is an awful lot

Porffor

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 16:23 »
there are 2,500 going in Lampeter in Wales in June too. :(

sarahc

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 19:34 »
They do have a waiting list but these hens have just been an all of a sudden thing. The BHWT are helping to rehome some as far as i am aware, which will no doubt clear there waiting list (I would assume) but these hens are not soley been delt with by them, they are going through a few rescues.
I am trying to get a coop sorted for my self to try and take a couple but there are thousands needing a home by sometime in June - the exact date is not knowen, but obviously the sooner the better for them.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 10:22 »
Hi, Whereabouts are they as I am only just down the coast from you, I'm sure I could find room for a couple.....(Babe's fairy sure is busy...)

conventgirl

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:36 »
Hi,

An update on this is:

The farmer,  instead of next month he has decided to turn out his hens next Wednesday, so if any hens are to be brought out it has to be done on MONDAY or TUESDAY next week. This is a month ahead of plan!

They are still trying to maximise their rescue by:
- having a number of co-ordination/collection centres in London, Spalding, Hampshire (to be confirmed), Bishops Stortford and Harrogate , for collection of hens on Tuesday

- Keeping some hens overnight or longer to allow later collection, maybe up till next weekend  Helping deliver hens to help people without transport.

If you are able to rehome birds at such short notice, the person who is dealing with this is carly@northlondonhenrescue.org

I hope this information is of use to someone  :)

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 15:41 »
i would  have some willingly if they were nearer to me, im in leics nr the warwicks border.

conventgirl

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 17:13 »
Hi Nettynoodles,

How many would you be wanting as i might have some space in my car..i could be collecting some for someone in Northants!

I am only a 5 minute drive from the M69 junction if that is any good to you?

You would obviously have to get in touch with Carly if you want them but i dont mind if you collect them from me

Let me know what you think :)

ck2day

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 23:10 »
These ladies (from Spalding) have come up on our local freecycle network  I have offered a home to 6 and am just waiting now for a convenient time to get them.

Will post some pics when I get them

Claire

I must be loopy, that will take me up to 25 including tonights new arrival,   :shock: but not including the 5 eggs still to hatch.  No wonder my OH is saying "NO MORE"   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 01:00 »
hi convent

that would be great if you could can you pm me with details please,
i lost 2 chooks today to mr foxy am gutted, so have a bit more space! so i could take up to 5  :oops:  not many compared to the vast amount that need rehoming but better than none.

sarahc

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 17:01 »
Cheers for putting up the update on this conventgirl. I've been away for 2 weeks and just got back today. Had no internet :-(  
Anyway this is obvioulsy now all done and dusted unfortunatly, and i hope everyone who wanted to offer these hen's a home was able to.
 :thumright:

stu.bailes

Re: Battery hens need homes.....
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 21:03 »
Hi
 I have had ex bat before and am interested in  getting some more the soomer the better as I am unable to keep up with the demand for my eggs so if you could please gewt in touch withthe details I require then I would really be very grateful.

I live in loftus which is about 15 miles away from middlesbrough and whitby.

Thanks
Stu
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 22:49 by stu.bailes »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Battery hens need homes.....
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 22:05 »
stu please could you put your location in so we can let you know if there is a rehoming programe near you  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
hens needing new homes! advert

Started by emotion-2003 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2012, 17:02
by GrannieAnnie
xx
battery hens

Started by karenn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2007, 20:21
by karenn
xx
Battery hens ?

Started by yorkshirerose on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 16, 2007, 18:03
by yorkshirerose
xx
Ex battery hens?

Started by fallen angel on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 18:45
by wolfpup

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 37 queries.