sow your onions

• 96 Replies

Annie

sow your onions
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2007, 09:54 »
Sorry KC but it`s a bit early to tell as they`re now about even on germination which is not the whole story is it?

beancounter

sow your onions
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2007, 14:41 »
Great to see this kind of trial going on, particularly done by an open minded cynic, as its the only way to learn anything. As an old cynic myself I am firmly in the Seeds of Doubt Team - and can I suggest Lunatits (if thats not too rude) for the opposition.
When the weather changes I shall ....

Ice

• muck spreader
sow your onions
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2007, 20:38 »
Hi Beancounter.  Nice to meet another likeminded person.  I think lunatits is a little harsh though, they do mean well after all and we are all friends on here. (Despite their being slightly eccentric, but don't tell them I said that, it's our little secret). :wink:

Seeds of doubt ahead by a ratio of about 10:1 as of this afternoon.  But it is a marathon and not a sprint and I will carry this through to the end.
Hey I thought of a name for the other team, Mooners
Cheese makes everything better.

shaun

sow your onions
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2007, 20:46 »
confused now what side am i on ?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Ice

• muck spreader
sow your onions
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2007, 20:48 »
You are on whatever side I say you are on :wink:

shaun

sow your onions
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2007, 20:52 »
rightyo hockey  :D

Ice

• muck spreader
sow your onions
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2007, 20:53 »
Glad that's sorted. :twisted:

king cauli

• Experienced Member
sow your onions
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2007, 01:16 »
lunatits :?: this aint somethin i pulled out of a hat,farmers  have been growing this way for thousands of years,the proof will be in the pudding and the "lunatits"crack,i dont think it was too harsh,not if you dont mind me saying"you talk this :l :lol:
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/th_thc.jpg[/img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/caulicow.jpg[/img]

Annie

sow your onions
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2007, 09:49 »
Save that for the veg. KC!

Ice

• muck spreader
sow your onions
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2007, 10:50 »
Note to self......if you ever meet KC, don't shake hands. :lol:

king cauli

• Experienced Member
sow your onions
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2007, 12:58 »
:lol:

beancounter

sow your onions
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2007, 19:54 »
Truly sorry King Cauli if i've caused offence, it was meant to be lighthearted. It is the banter on this site, as well as the characters and the in depth knowledge, that make it my favourite lotty site. Sorry you thought I was talking (well rotted horse on straw preferably) s..t when all I was doing was supporting unbiased research by Ice (cool lady) and implying my own scepticism. I haven't taken offence, i've taken it as an invitation.

The moon has two noticeable effects on the earth, gravitational and reflecting sunlight at night.

The gravitational effects of the moon on a seed must be too minute to have any effect, and vary by the hour. If the moons gravity had any measurable effect on small bodies then dieters the world over would be climbing the walls with frustration at their yo-yoing weight (actually now I think about it ......!!!)

The light of even a bright full moon is too weak to have any effect on a plant's rate of growth (refer to any supplier of grow lights re lumens m2). However in the spirit of open mindedness I am aware of a mechanism where moonlight could influence a plants behaviour. Some autumn flowering plants that seem to respond to shorter days are in fact responding to longer nights and require (typically 12) hours of darkness to trigger the production of hormones that induce flowering. It is therefore possible that a bright full moon at a critical period could have an influence on flowering times of some particular plants, however I think that there are too many variables to link any such (marginal) effect back to day of sowing.

I suspect (my hypothesis is) that this is no more than association being mistaken for cause and effect along the lines of:- I sow my seeds on Saturdays (main lotty day), I am pleased with my harvests (chuffed to little mint balls actually), therefore seeds should be sown on Saturdays. If your moon sown produce is better than others its more likely to be because you are a better grower. Anyway its always interesting to come across different ideas: makes for more interesting debates.

muntjac

sow your onions
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2007, 20:14 »
we off on that moon crasy thing again ?

still alive /............

shaun

sow your onions
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2007, 20:15 »
can i join in  :D

muntjac

sow your onions
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2007, 20:18 »
course ya can ur as mad as fruit cake anyways . as we say here each to thier own we aint taking the piss we is all having a laff whilst still getting the information across .we are adults folks .well all except aidy he has to be a kid to carry a hairstyle like that  off   :wink:  :lol:  so just look for the smiles cos we all got em

Page created in 1.827 seconds with 37 queries.