Where to start...

• 6 Replies

greenster

Where to start...
« on: May 21, 2008, 10:10 »
Hey all, I've been thinking about getting an allotment for the last few months but have now started thinking I might have run out of time to get anything grown in time for the end of summer.

As a complete beginner there seems to be a lot to learn about growing decent veg and tbh I am a bit overwhelmed with it.

I was hoping to grow the following but don't have a clue as to best times for starting, best condition for them to grow and whether or not they will grow at certain times of the year.

Assuming I get my lot by June 8th and I've got the soil sorted, is it possible to grow the following...

Carrots
Onion
Potatoes
Cabbage

Also, if I get a half plot from the council, does that mean I share the other half or that the plot is just smaller?

Do most allotments have communal compost?

I'm on the west coast of Scotland in case you need to know.

Any help appreciated.

gobs

Where to start...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 10:21 »
You could put your location in your profile, that's I'm assuming a nice mild climate area, hopefully, so you probably get away with most of them if they go in as soon as you get the plot and that's the beginning of June.

Half plot is a smaller plot, com. manure is not too common here, don't know about Scotland.

There is a month by month guide on the home page and seed packets, catalogues should help you with maturing and planting times, these will differ by variety too, cabbages you can grow all year round.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

nothinghasdiedyet

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog
Where to start...
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:33 »
I am relatively new to all this as well (in my 2nd year) but beginning of June isn't to late at all.

You would probably be best visiting a local garden centre that sell vegetables in already sown and grown form.
Otherwise I would say

Potatoes - Go for an early variety (early means they take a short amount of time to mature) Rocket and Foremost are 2 good varieties of early
Cabbage can be grown all year round
Carrots I sowed some at the weekend and will sow some more mid June (Again and early variety such as Nantes)
There are also many other vegetables that can be grown in a short space of time

Spinach
Radish
Lettuce
Beetroot
Spring Onions
Runner Beans (Your allotment isn't an allotment without a cane structure full of Beans)

Also don't forget that things can be planted now that will give you a crop in Winter.

The Thompson and Morgan website sin't a brilliant website but they do give you a lot of planting details and also their service is pretty good as well.
Seeds at Thompsons

I believe that the book on the homepage of this site is a good investment as well but I haven't got round to buying it myself as yet..

Hope this helps

And Welcome to Allotmenteering  8)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Where to start...
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 10:49 »
Some good advice for you there greenster, welcome to the forums
 :D  enjoy your plot thats my advice :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

franmeerkat

Where to start...
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 10:50 »
Hi Greenster - I got my plot a month ago and have got quite a bit on the go. From seed (planted in pots three weeks ago) I've got peas, runner, french and broad beans, beet, fennel, toms, squash, chilli, cucumber...
If you can afford it, you can buy plants of brassicas, sweetcorn, toms, cucumbers...I've seen quite a selection in garden centres. I got some plant plugs by post from both Kings and Marshalls, and have been delighted in the quality of both.
I think whether or not you got compost is up to individual councils/plot landlords. We don't.
I share my plot, but my 'other half' wanted to divide the plot in half rather than share the whole. Either would have been fine with me.
Good luck!

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Where to start...
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 15:50 »
Greenster where about on the west coast are you?

woodburner

Where to start...
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 18:31 »
Allotments vary in every possible respect, including the length of the waiting lists!

If you are lucky enough to get one at short notice, the chances are it will be overgrown. As previous posters have said, there are still plenty of things you can grow especially if you buy young plants.  I have yet to clear my allotment, it's going to be almost all brassicas. I got it as I had run out of space at home ;)

You can still grow spring onions, but I think it's too late now for regular onions but I could be wrong.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
well it's a start

Started by skippy1707 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 16:58
by skippy1707
xx
Where to Start

Started by chuckmad on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 11:27
by VeggieVirgin
xx
Where to start!

Started by allotmentamy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 20, 2011, 17:01
by allotmentamy
xx
Where to start...

Started by Arielf on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 12:28
by Arielf

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 36 queries.