More Beef Tomato Questions

• 48 Replies

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
« on: May 20, 2008, 18:43 »
Yes, Im good with chillies. But this is my first year with the beef tomatoes. So I thought I'd reasure myslef by asking a few questions :)

1. Is it ok to put them outside now?
I as this because they are growing too fast. When I put them in the grow bag a few weeks back they were less than half the size of my little mini green house, now I cant shut the blooming lid. So I canned the open.

Do they reallly need to be staked?
I put some cannes in the grow bag and tied them to the plants, but they look fine with out it, aside from that they have outgrown it by inches, the plants must be about 1 and a half foot tall by now and one is growing in a weird direction.

A small bud?
There is a small bud on the top with what looks like yellow leaves inside, maybe a flower?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to some answers :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: More Beef Tomato Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 19:36 »
Quote from: "TheChilliMan"

1. Is it ok to put them outside now?
I as this because they are growing too fast. When I put them in the grow bag a few weeks back they were less than half the size of my little mini green house, now I cant shut the blooming lid. So I canned the open.

No! Anyone on our site with toms outside has lot the lost in the last few days. Way too cold.

Do they reallly need to be staked?
I put some cannes in the grow bag and tied them to the plants, but they look fine with out it, aside from that they have outgrown it by inches, the plants must be about 1 and a half foot tall by now and one is growing in a weird direction.

Yes - don't forget outside, you've also got the breeze & hopefully they will grow even bigger

A small bud?
There is a small bud on the top with what looks like yellow leaves inside, maybe a flower?

A photo would be good if possible, flowers usually appear first further down the stem, not at the top and come on a truss between the lower leaves & the stem
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 20:47 »
The small bud at the top could be a flower, All my "big boy" toms last year had a large flower right at the top then a leader came from the base of that and took over, I can remember someone else mentioning this I think it was a russian variety that did it too.

Apart from that I agree 100% with Mr Tomato head's comments  :wink:  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 21:01 »
Must be buds. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Fat Hen

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 22:44 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
The small bud at the top could be a flower, All my "big boy" toms last year had a large flower right at the top then a leader came from the base of that and took over, I can remember someone else mentioning this I think it was a russian variety that did it too.

Apart from that I agree 100% with Mr Tomato head's comments  :wink:  :lol:

I think it might have been me, my black russians & pink brandywines had huge dandelion like flowers intermingled with normal tomato flowers.

I also needed to provide support for individual fruit, i put net bags like you get onions in around fruit to take the weight (up to 2lbs) each!  Fantastic flavoured toms, would recomend.

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 22:48 »
I've had the lid off for weeks,I may as well have them outside. I'll go with your advice. I'll take a pic tommorrow as my camera is in my mom's car. I took it to the allotment to take some picies but I forgot :D

Quote from: "DD."

No! Anyone on our site with toms outside has lot the lost in the last few days. Way too cold.

Don't you mean lost the lot? Another typo DD

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 05:53 »

Don't you mean lost the lot? Another typo DD

Yes it's a typo - I didn't  point out the typos/spelling mistakes in your posts,  but as they seem to bother you....

reasure
myslef
reallly
cannes
"canned the open" ?
tommorrow

I make it that you are currently winning 6:1 on this thread alone. :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 06:35 »
And Aunty has edited your expletive Chillyman.

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 13:08 »
If you add them up DD I think we might be level with each other :lol: , besdes that when I was typing my first post, I was in a rush so there is no suprise on the typos. Here is the bud

Remember, this is my phone photo, even though it is 5MP and has macro, it doesnt perform so well in the sun. :( I should have said "here is a good picture of my finger and the hairs on the stem of tomato plants" I dont know why but I always get itchy after handling those things. :? You can also see where it has out grown the cane :shock:

P.S Thanks Aunt Sallly :)

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 15:00 »
do beefsteaks not get side shoots?  my normal ones do yet my beefsteak don't seem to - just curious.

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 17:24 »
My plants have yes but I take them off. It is to my belief that they do better off without them. Whether or not this is true, I don't know.

mabel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 17:37 »
I have some Oxheart growing and they have a large bud like that  at the top.  I have left it assuming it will be a GIANT tomato.  Am I wrong to do this.  Should I take it off.  - BTW any spelling mistakes tonight will be the result of making and bottling some strawberry licquer which I made a few days ago and bottled and tested tonight - tastes like liquid strawberries with a hell of a kick.  Somehow it has affected my fingers and I can only type very slowly with a lot of care :lol:  If I could see straight I would take a photo of them :oops:  Maybe tomorrow.

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 18:22 »
or maybe you should make a new thred? :(
People should make new threds insted of not posting answers in my thred :| Sorry but thats how I am
Tell 'em face to face  :pr: :pl:

mabel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 18:35 »
Oops - Serious loss of sense of humour I think. :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 18:57 »
or maybe you should make a new thred? :(
People should make new threds insted of not posting answers in my thred :| Sorry but thats how I am
Tell 'em face to face  :pr: :pl:

Our forum is very informal ChilliMan, we nearly always go off at a tangent chilli out  and stay  8)  it'll come back to topic..... well maybe  :lol:

xx
tomato questions

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 11:14
by mumofstig
xx
Tomato questions...

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 18:39
by gillie
xx
Questions re Tomato Fertilizer

Started by isis on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 22:27
by DavidT
xx
Pumpkin/Tomato ripening, fruiting and feeding questions

Started by 1st time veg grower on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 13:56
by 1st time veg grower

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 36 queries.