Dispatching chickens properly

• 9 Replies

kizza

• Experienced Member
« on: May 20, 2008, 15:26 »
I have read muntys' post on how to dispatch a chicken, but i am afraid that if i pull down on the neck the head of the bird will come off in my hand  :lol:  Can you please reassure me this will not happen as i would totally freak if it did.

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 18:44 »
I am soon to come across this worry when my meat birds mature in a few months and whilst i am resolved to do it i am concerned about this. As far as i can gather it is quite likely, in our need to do the job properly, that a head might come off - after all  - if you have never done it before how do you know how hard to pull?? One consolation is that although it may be messy the bird will most certainly be dead. One other option i am considering is a hand held dispatcher, which may get rid of this worry all together. I was thinking that it might be worth getting a brace of pheasent - in feather and having a practice - might give a gauge of the force required.
If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be different, be just.

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 20:36 »
We were thinking about getting hand held dispatcher too - just so we know the job is done properly and the bird hasnt been hurt.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 20:55 »
Having done the deed on hens and pigeons, to be honest I think you'd have to pull extremely hard to detach a hens head from its shoulders, you feel the neck go inside and if you follow Muntys post you should have no problems  :)  pigeons on the other hand I've had a couple of them do it  :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

pushrod

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 22:39 »
have you thought about the traffic cone method - hand held dispatchers are very expensive for what they are
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 17:17 »
the pressure needed is easy to gauge as you feel the neck split then just add a little more and the spinal column is seperated and u can feel this happen in ur fingers  :)there is no force needed that will make the head break off .... thats over exerting yourself  :wink:
still alive /............

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 20:40 »
I wasn't sure I'd be strong enough to do the deed so I tried breaking the neck of a supermarket chicken! It wasn't as hard as I expected, not sure how much difference the bird being already well and truly dead made though ;)
I have yet to kill any of my birds but I am a lot more confident that I will be able to now.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 20:46 »
i wont share how i dispatch bunnies that havent quite died from gunshot injuries...... :?

Porffor

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 20:59 »
hmm.. could have done with being stronger over a guinea pig recently. Cost me £33 to get him dispatched.

peggyprice

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 22:33 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
I wasn't sure I'd be strong enough to do the deed so I tried breaking the neck of a supermarket chicken! It wasn't as hard as I expected, not sure how much difference the bird being already well and truly dead made though ;)
I have yet to kill any of my birds but I am a lot more confident that I will be able to now.

How did you manage to find a supermarket chicken with a neck???
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

xx
Flubenvet not mixing properly

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 23:14
by hillfooter
xx
Can chooks perch properly in an eglu/cube?

Started by Patricia7455 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 23, 2008, 22:23
by Patricia7455
xx
Dispatching

Started by The Chicken Lady on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 14:40
by Aunt Sally
xx
The Art of Dispatching

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 18:08
by shetan

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 36 queries.