Can you get sick from home free range eggs??

• 18 Replies

dizzyfairy

« on: May 20, 2008, 13:38 »
Ok so I had a episode of vommiting several weeks ago now.  My partner has just had a case of the squits (not unsual for him hi'e a sensitive tum!) and now my little boy has vomitting.

Well my boss has just been on the phone saying she had 2 of my eggs (fresh hens from the day before) and that she had to throw up as soon as she ate them?

I'm sure it cant be the eggs but shes accused me of it being my produce!

My son and partner hae not had eggs for a fortnight-i nosh them a lot and i've been fine for months
suggestions? thanks xx

diamond_lil

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 14:06 »
There have been a lot of tummy bugs about lately and it could just be co-incidence.

But just in case, do you wash your eggs before selling them? I asked about washing eggs on this forum last year and the best advice I had was to fill the sink with very hot water (I use rubber gloves) and a squirt of anti-bacterial washing up liquid. Dip the eggs into the water and make sure any dirt is cleaned off it. The hot water pushes the bacteria out through the shell. Don't soak the eggs as they will start to cook.

Our ducks manage to get all their eggs very dirty and this method cleans them up very well and we have had no complaints.

Use one bowl full of water for about 20 eggs then replace it.

I gather that salmonella, MRSA, and most of the other nasty bacteria are actually very easy to kill in this way.

Diamond_Lil

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 14:18 »
like already said  there has been lots of bugs around this year.
i have been eating my own eggs as has most of my family.mums dads grans etc etc and half the street. only ever had one complaint and that was the egg was *off* as it was old!
 do  you worm them etc? and do they free range or in a run?

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 14:34 »
if the egg is fresh what's the problem  :D   If she buys her eggs from the supermarket etc they could be weeks old.

I doubt she got her tummy aches from your fresh egss

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 16:38 »
Dizzyfairy, very very unlikely caused by your eggs! particulary if she threw up so quickly! would take a least 6 hours for a bacterium to affect the digestive system -and thats presuming that the egg wasn't cooked!
By the sound of the odd vomiting episode that you have had I am sure it was just that, food poisoning like salmonella you would know about!

adw

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 16:59 »
Hi Dizzy

A while ago my 5 year old son and 4 year old daughter both contracted Salmonella and were quite ill. We assumed it was from the 2 chickens we keep and that we had not been carefull enough with the hand washing etc. I was sure the chooks were vacinated (sp?) when we bought them - confirmed by the supplier. I went and spoke with the local vet - explained that they were pets with the added benefit of eggs  :D and they offered to do some tests. Bascially a swob from each chooks' poo and some swobs from the litter.

All tests came back clear  :D  :D  so the kids had picked up salmonella from somewhere else - even garden snails carry it.

Bottom line is everyone will point the finger at the chooks / chicken meat because thats what we have been taught to do though this is more often than not wrong.  

Rambled on a bit - hope it makes sense  :?  :roll:  :lol:

Oliveview

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 21:17 »
I asked our local vet last week about worming the hens etc and he said he knew nothing about hens :shock:   Hopefully we can see his partner later on this week and ask him.
I like soft yolked eggs and have not had any problems.
(fingers crossed I´m not tempting fate!)
Pamela

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Can you get sick from home free range eggs??
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 21:43 »
Quote from: "dizzyfairy"
Ok so I had a episode of vommiting several weeks ago now.  My partner has just had a case of the squits (not unsual for him hi'e a sensitive tum!) and now my little boy has vomitting.

Well my boss has just been on the phone saying she had 2 of my eggs (fresh hens from the day before) and that she had to throw up as soon as she ate them?

I'm sure it cant be the eggs but shes accused me of it being my produce!

My son and partner hae not had eggs for a fortnight-i nosh them a lot and i've been fine for months
suggestions? thanks xx

Are you having a leg pull dear  :roll:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 22:48 »
Well we have been eating and selling our eggs on and off for over 11 years now, Brian likes his yolks VERY runny and I make mayonnaise and lemon curd with them as well as my cakes.

The last time we had food poisoning was when we treated ourselves to a take away at a chinese Restaurant!

I can't see it being your eggs!  Why is it that whenever salmonella or food poisoning happens, everyone immediately blames the eggs or the chicken????  

A lot of people on here would be too young to remember the damage Edwina Curry did to the egg and chicken market, but mud sticks!!!!  She has a lot to answer for that woman!!!!

Sorry for the rant........

And by the way, if you give or sell eggs to anyone else, you are not supposed to wash them, as once washed they do deteriorate quicker and the shells are porous.  But you are not supposed to let other people have eggs with poop on the shells either, keep those ones for yourself!

si-mate

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 08:50 »
I really wouldn't wash the eggs. I believe that commercially its actually against the law to wash eggs destined for human consumption as they have a waxy coating which can easily get washed away. You should be able to brush off all but the most stubborn of muck.

Ruby Red

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 13:53 »
Nowt wrong wi a bit a muck. Youll av ter ate a pound of it afor yer die. Sorry about that. Ill get my coat. :oops:
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

muntjac

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 17:26 »
sorry folks theres a bit of misinformation here ,,,,, you need to remove any feaces or spoil from the eggs and the way i do it as follows . get some baby sterilising fluid ."warm" water .just to take the chill off the cold .add some sterilising fluid ""( £1 a bottle )a couple of capfulls is enough in a bowl holding half  a gallon is sufficient . use a clean sponge and just wipe the eggs over with it removing any mess etc .allow to dry naturally afterwards on the drainer of the sink and then tray them,, there is no waxy coat on eggs that i have ever heard off, and in " my opinion " if there was they would suffocate the eggs .and chicks would die as there is a very limited amout of air in the sac...i remove any hard dodo by just rubbing with a green back nylon kitchen scourer which i then sterilise with the same baby stuff... have been doing this with eggs for food and for hatching for years ... and i am talking thousands of eggs when breeding game birds :wink: another way to stop getting mucky eggs is to use plenty of fresh STRAW   :)
still alive /............

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 17:35 »
Hope you are not saying I'm giving misinformation Munty!!!  But you are not suppose to supply other people with eggs that are or have been dirty!

My customers like a bit of dirt though as they say at least they look like proper eggs!!!!

si-mate

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 08:39 »
What I posted earlier was "from the top of my head" that I was taught over 5 years ago when I did my degree in Agriculture so I've done a bit of googling to make sure I wasn't talking nonsense.

Eggs have a natural protective coating called the "bloom", which gives the egg a slightly "matt" finish. Washing Grade A eggs before selling them to the public is illegal, as it removes this coating. In the 19th century in Ireland, a farmer could be put in jail for washing eggs.

Un-graded Eggs: Farms producing a small number of eggs, normally sell them un-graded directly to the
public, at the farm gate or door-to-door. The requirements in this case are that the eggs are not dirty, visibly
cracked or abnormal in any way.
Grade A Eggs: If the eggs are sold through third parties, (eg shops) as Grade A eggs, the farm needs to be
registered as a packing site with Defra under The Egg Marketing Standards Regulations. Registration is free
and the Defra Inspector is required to visit the site at least once each year. (The Inspector is also required to
visit the farm to check the welfare of the laying birds at least once each year, so will normally check the
packing site on one or both of these visits.)

So as I said commercially it's against the law to wash Grade A eggs

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 08:57 »
Quote from: "[url=http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/eggs/eggcomposition.html
Science of Cooking[/url]"]SHELL Bumpy and grainy in texture, an eggshell is covered with as many as 17,000 tiny pores. Eggshell is made almost entirely of calcium carbonate (CaCO3) crystals. It is a semipermeable membrane, which means that air and moisture can pass through its pores. The shell also has a thin outermost coating called the bloom or cuticle that helps keep out bacteria and dust.

xx
Free Range Eggs Better for you??

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 20:38
by mumsy
xx
Can eggs be sold at gate as free-range?

Started by camelliagirl on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 18:14
by wildwitchy
xx
Anybody free range?

Started by Beekissed on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 19:22
by greenjay
xx
When is it safe to free range?

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 15:48
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 28 queries.