• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2008, 21:57 »
Yeah Alex
Dish the DIRT, no punn intended  :evil:

JimG

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2008, 15:56 »
Initially one old fella treated me as the new-found site idiot, always bemoaning my follies when compared to my more experienced neighbour.  Muttered muck offs didn't work so I just got on with and, much to my amazement, I have even received some praise for all my hard work recently.  I checked, I wasn't dreaming.

I suppose these things eventually work themselves out.  You either end up ignoring them or looking for a place where they won't find the body.  In fleeting moments I wondered about the benefits to the soil of a well rotted veteran allotmenteer but that's passed now!

Good luck and, as lots have already said, it looks like a case of jealousy to me.  Perhaps, being new, you're not allowed to look so organised, competent having not paid your dues to 'them that know'. But that's cobblers and you're there to relax!

shaun

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2008, 22:20 »
well if the halfwit who took over the plot next to me dont show up by monday i'm gonna spray the lot with roundup  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

woodburner

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2008, 23:01 »
Quote from: "JimG"

I suppose these things eventually work themselves out.  You either end up ignoring them or looking for a place where they won't find the body.  In fleeting moments I wondered about the benefits to the soil of a well rotted veteran allotmenteer but that's passed now!

You weren't here before me were you?  :shock:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

polly nator

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2008, 07:54 »
Tugster, going by your photos, you've done a great job, put in a lot of hard work and it looks fabulous. If I was in the adjoining  plot I'd feel lucky to have such a well kept allotment next door.  I only have a small back garden to look after but am planning to go on  a list together with my daughter and son in law.
  I'm currently in the Gulf till end May - missing my garden and UK weather!  Your photos  remind me of home and are quite inspiring  - I'd  like my allotment to look like yours!
 Try and take no notice of  that silly criticism - its hard to know what was the point of it all. We do our gardening to because we  enjoy it  and get a lot of satisfaction - we're all different in what and how we want to grow. Your difficult person must just be one of those who think everyone should do it their way.
 Life's too short!

JimG

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2008, 08:17 »
Woodburner, I'll take 'the Fifth' as our American friends say!

Milly

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2008, 10:33 »
Wow, I love the pictures, and think your plot looks great. I had a neighbour who always started sentences with 'well if it was me I would do it like this............' and then proceed to tell me how to do everything. I just learnt to smile and then do it my own way. Having said that some of the advice was good and I did learn from him  :)

sprinkler1

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2008, 21:41 »
love the photo gwiz
iii

dugless

Re: Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2008, 22:01 »
Quote from: "Tugster"
Just wondered if anyone else had a person at there allotment that cannot keep there nose out of what your doing? Someone who keeps quoting "the rules" or what they think should be the rules of the allotment?

Why do these people bother???

Just like this one I posted in My shed
Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have nearly finnished it   Well it is weather proof.
I was just putting the rain guttering on the back (not in the picture)
When one of the allotment holders sidled up the conversation went
(Him) "have you noticed"  
Me "no what"
Him all the sheds are as far from the road as you can get its in the rules  
ME I asked when I joined if there were any rules. The only one was you cannot have live stock(   )
I have been building this shed for two weeks on and off Why has no one mentioned it before.
Him well no one is bothered I tried to set up a committee but there was no one interested.
me well I am not moving it.
Him its Ok leave it.  
Obviousely someone to avoid if no was bothered why come and tell me at all.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

woodburner

Re: Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2008, 00:24 »
meh tried to delete, won't let me so I will babble on about something else. See my post above , well my friend who has an allotment is a tad jealous of mine, (despite the nettles being even taller when she saw it) due to it's secluded location, and less than perfect neighbouring plots. She is under almost constant threat of eviction despite the fact she has been there from the days when they were begging people to take up plots. Neither of us reckon she would have any trouble here, but . . . .  I found it first ;)

Tugster

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2008, 08:17 »
update on the lady from hell
After trying to do my best to keep her happy, I have given up and made it fairly obvious that I no longer want anything to do with her. She may think she has lost nothing by me not talking to her anymore, but the privilege of common courtesy is something that is quite rare these days. I hope people understand that this is not the sort of thing that I would normally do, but enough is enough.
She has now turned her bitterness on the young girl that I gave the top half of my allotment. Its hard to understand why people are so against the world. This girl is the nicest girl I have ever met, well bought up, very well spoken, and very polite and helpful.
Yet this is not enough for some people. Although she has cleared half of her plot of weeds (on her own). This is not fast enough and comments of "you need to hurry up and clear the rest" and "your weeds are going to effect my plot" are neither constructive or anyone elses business.
One wonders if having a plot so close to someone with such a chip on there  shoulder is worth the effort. Afterall this could be a problem that could go on for years.

woodburner

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2008, 11:26 »
If she is in such a hurry maybe you could suggest that she comes and does it for you :tongue2: ;) .  Not really serious with that suggestion, even if you said it tongue in cheek and dripping with with sarcasm, you run the risk of her actually helping and that would give her bragging rights. :x

I do understand how upsetting it is. It's the glass half empty attitude that's so annoying, You spend hours weeding and tidying, sowing and planting and along she comes and says "Oh you missed a bit." seemingly oblivious to all the effort you have put in.
I think you are doing pretty well with your non-communication policy and I suggest that your friend do the same. No-one needs that much negativity. Personally I don't think I could bite my tongue for half so long. Count your blessings, is my advice. She's the only one, and has absolutely no grounds for complaint, so can't actually DO anything. (Not quite true, she could always move :twisted: )

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2008, 12:38 »
Tugster

Just ignore her

Your plot is brill

Well done
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

nothinghasdiedyet

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2008, 12:38 »
Damn why can some people be so irritating it really surprises me that people who have a common interest can still go out of there way to annoy you.

We have a small river running next to our allotment and we had a spate of vandalism and the rogues were using the river to cross or just through thing in.We were told we couldn't erect a hard fence but we could use nature to our advantage.
So last year we planted a Blackberry hedge with a post and wire support, would something like this be a viable option for you to at least cut her out of your vision.

Tugster

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2008, 13:24 »
What a great idea with the blackberry bush. I have 2 blackberry bushes in front of my greenhouse (shame they thornless) and they are rampant. Maybe instead of cutting them back when they get to big, I could just train them along the side of the allotment to make a natural fence. (again, shame they are thornless)

Does anyone know of a blackberry bush that grows 50ft a week??? :lol:
Thats hight and length :!:

xx
Q for Allotment holders in Kent

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 11:38
by brianc
xx
Dealing with bad allotment holders.

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

55 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 17:44
by Caddi fuller-teabags
xx
PH nightmare

Started by screamingcow on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 23, 2010, 14:28
by savbo
xx
chitting nightmare

Started by neatntidy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 19, 2016, 06:41
by tangojulie

Page created in 0.601 seconds with 36 queries.