Hoping she'll sit tight.

• 17 Replies

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Hoping she'll sit tight.
« on: May 20, 2008, 08:55 »
I think we may have a broody hen and I say think because she is a bit confused!

She became broody last weekend and took over one of the nest boxes in the hen house and we have now had to move her to the broody coop but she isn't very happy there unless she is in total darkness.

Yesterday I opened the door so she come out to stretch her legs have something to eat and drink etc and she shot out at high speed down the garden and had a dust bath and where the other hens kept pecking her.

After sometime she decided to go back into the hen house and take over the nest box again so we had to get her out of there and put her back into the broody coop on her egg.

She settled down for the night but I dare not open the door this morning incase she does another runner!
I have put water and food in the broody coop for her and I know I am going to have to let her out later to do what a girl has to do!!

We would love to have some chicks this year as last years hatching was a disaster.

Vember

Hoping she'll sit tight.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 09:10 »
Will keep everything crossed for you Kim

Earlier in the year I needed a broody and eventually one did the job for me, shortly followed by another 4!! Like buses nothing then boom all go broody togeather :lol:  :lol:

Good Luck  :D

Vivian

Hoping she'll sit tight.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 12:42 »
Any advice welcome please.  I have a broody hen sitting on some duck eggs.  The first one got off after 2 weeks, so I replaced her with the second one which has been on the nest about 5 days and she hasn't been off at all.  I have checked to see she looks ok and there is food and water available.  I am reluctant to physically remove her in case she doesn't return to the eggs as there are only a few more days to go before they should hatch BUT should I in case she doesn't survive.  Help please.
There's always someone worse off than you

Vember

Hoping she'll sit tight.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 13:20 »
I always let my broodys off at least once a day, take my watch with me and let them have 15 mins off I then go pick her up and pop her back in the broody shed, she settles back down no problems.

You really should take her off at least once a day so she can poop :)

Poolfield2

Hoping she'll sit tight.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 13:46 »
I've put a small run on my broody box so she has room to come out and scratch in the grass and poop without being able to go far from the eggs. If she stays off eggs I can easily catch her and put her back. :)

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Hoping she'll sit tight.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 13:56 »
We have only hatched with broody hens twice and both times they were very different.

First hen allowed you to pick her up to take her out to poo then put her back daily so she was easy. She ate and drank well from tubs in nest area

Second hen was a nightmare! She would shoot off and run like mad when you took her off the nest and ate an drank very little in the nest. In the end we took her out in a wire cat basket daily so she could poo through bars and gave her corn in there too so we saw that she had aten something. This worked well - defintely saved the need for benny hill music chasing her round the allotment shed!!

Vivian

Hoping she'll sit tight.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 14:15 »
Oh Dear looks like I have got it wrong this time.  Thank you for your help

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
Hoping she'll sit tight.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 14:34 »
good luck with your broodys.

ive got a broody to been sitting since sun night! she aint moved once bless her  she is in a house with run attatched and it is my broody house food n water available at all times too.  no poo anywhere to be seen, they will get off and do what they need to anyway they aint daft. i always leave be lol.

keep us posted o how  you al get on.

Vivian

Hoping she'll sit tight.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 15:51 »
I've been in to get my broody off her nest.  She didn't make a fuss.  She had already had a poo in the nest and just stood beside her food and water for about 4 minutes then got back on the eggs.  Only 3 days to go so I think I'll leave her alone.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Hoping she'll sit tight.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 16:46 »
if you're haviong to chase her to put her back, then i'd say she's not quite ready.

if they are dead set on sitting, its a job to shift them.

Jellyhead

Hoping she'll sit tight.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 18:31 »
Quote from: "Vivian"
Any advice welcome please.  I have a broody hen sitting on some duck eggs.  The first one got off after 2 weeks, so I replaced her with the second one which has been on the nest about 5 days and she hasn't been off at all.  

Sorry if I am patronising :oops:  I dont mean it but did you know that duck eggies take 28 days not 21 :?:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

kimT

Hoping she'll sit tight.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 23:24 »
It's good news!

Our broody hen is sitting tight on her egg. I opened the door this afternoon for her and she didn't move off her egg until much later on and she came out into her run had something to eat and drink and had a poo and then she went staright back to that egg!

Bingo!

The fertile eggs will be on the way tomorrow..................yippiieee :D

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Hoping she'll sit tight.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 08:07 »
Quote from: "kimT"
It's good news!

Our broody hen is sitting tight on her egg. I opened the door this afternoon for her and she didn't move off her egg until much later on and she came out into her run had something to eat and drink and had a poo and then she went staright back to that egg!

Bingo!

The fertile eggs will be on the way tomorrow..................yippiieee :D

great news kim.... and what breed are you getting  :D

kimT

Hoping she'll sit tight.
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 08:36 »
I am so so excited about having some little lemon bonbons!

We are big Orpy fans so we have some Jubilee Orpington eggs coming and they will be here tomorrow  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:

muntjac

Hoping she'll sit tight.
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 17:34 »
ok lets lok at this logically .a broody hen needs total solitude .i built a broody box and coop .cant quite remember where the pics are on here.. make one up with a door on the box bit with bars behind of wood also
to allow the chicks when hatched to come out when they like . put the broody in the nest part and shut the door with her sitting on the eggs ,leave her alone for the first 12 hours or so .then if she still wants to come out let her by removing the door portion she is contained in the coop allowing her to eat drink etc .and with no where else to rest or sleep she wil go in and set tight ............ dont let her out till the chicks are big enougth to fend for themselves and she can look after them :wink: werks fer me ........ every time  :)
still alive /............

xx
All sleeping in the same box! It's a tight fit!?

Started by chick with chicks on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 10:33
by SMD66
xx
i'm hoping she's not a he?

Started by janity u on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 07:07
by janity u
xx
My New girlies (well Im hoping!)

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2012, 06:35
by crowndale
xx
I'm hoping this isn't a really offensive question...

Started by Diddy Gardener on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 18:04
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 36 queries.