covering pebbledash

• 6 Replies

owein

• Experienced Member
covering pebbledash
« on: May 19, 2008, 15:24 »
Does anyone have any suggestions, the front of my house is a very pretty shape (small cottage) but someone in thier wisdom has pebbledashed it, which looks awful. I have three options, to paint it, chip off all the pebble dash or use it as a large frame to grow something up (my prefered option)

What I want to know is what would look good and grow quickly (I can build trellis if needed). The house is west facing and at about 1300feet.
Thanks a lot

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
covering pebbledash
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 15:36 »
Only thing with climbers that are fast they can also be destructive if they get under the roof, but suggestions would be, Virginia creeper fantastic red colour in the autumn self clinging deciduous, Ivy evergreen self clinging, russian vine extremely fast and invasive deciduous needs support white flowers twice a year,  Clematis montana deciduous pink flowers in spring would need support deciduous.

Shady wall climbing hydrangea pretty white flowers decidous self clinging.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

owein

• Experienced Member
covering pebbledash
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 21:30 »
thanks a lot richrich7 however my house isn't west facing at all, I meant east SORRY :oops: .

I take it you sugesstions will still be ok as it still gets plenty of sun until about midday?

Will the climbing hydranga you mention be suitable for a north facing wall as I have a big one of those I want to cover (and it is north not south honest)
thanks again

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
covering pebbledash
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 21:39 »
The climbing hydrangea will do well on a north wall bit slow to start with but after a year or so they start moving fast.

I'd have thought to be honest that all the climbers I mentioned would do well on an east wall too, best to check up in books/ internet first, but it will give you a start.

You can also train cotoneaster and firethorn up walls, I grow firethorn under our living room window...ouch ! nice orange berries Autumn/winter till the blackbirds get hungry.

gobs

covering pebbledash
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 21:59 »
You are not gonna get too much out of this unless you plant an evergreen, you realise. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Ruby Red

covering pebbledash
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 12:28 »
Some climbing roses do very well on a north facing wall.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
covering pebbledash
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 19:20 »
Quote from: "gobs"
You are not gonna get too much out of this unless you plant an evergreen, you realise. :wink:

Correct.

xx
looking for fence covering plant

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 20:39
by chrissie B
xx
Clear plastic covering the new seed bed?

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2022, 21:20
by grinling

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 28 queries.