tomato advice please

• 24 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
tomato advice please
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 08:49 »
Never had a problem, been doing it this way for years. One bag maybe fills 2  & a bit pots, so they do get more compost per plant. (Or simply just put 2 plants in per bag).

Once the first fruit is set, I feed the plants anyway, so don't see a problem there.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

pushrod

tomato advice please
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 09:33 »
i also take the side cuttings out and plant them up, although i am never quite certain if the plants are as vigorous as the ones from seed. I do it because i grow T&M's "cristal" variety which produce fantastic toms but are £3.99 ? for 8 seeds (ouch) still worth it though. I would definitely recommend them - massively better than the common varieties :D

I am surprised how early everyone is with their seeds. I have one set of toms growing but am just about to plant the seed for my sept+ crop and also just put my runner bean seeds in. I often find the late planted ones grow better, catch up and surpass the early ones. The other thing is we always seem to have at least one hard frost mid to late may  :evil:
 i grow mine in the greenhouse in plastic pots filled with No 3 sitting on big trays of hydroleca (which you can reuse each year). Water the hydroleca and the roots come out of the bottom of the pots in to it and feed into the soil. I have tried lots of different ways and find this to be the most successful. Anyone else do this?
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

franmeerkat

tomato advice please
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 09:46 »
Nice advice, pushrod. I planted mine indoors a fortnight ago, and will do another batch today. This year I'm growing Gardener's Delight, San Marzano, Tigerella and Costaluto Fiorentino. Next batch will include Sungold.

matt80

tomato advice please
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 09:58 »
I'm confused about this pinching out business. I've got tomato plants that are quite tall (as they went a little bit leggy) and they have just started to put on trusses.

There is a one main stem, with a few side branches coming off which have only leaves on them. Then at the top the trusses have started to form. What exactly should I be pinching out?

pushrod

tomato advice please
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 14:39 »
The bits you pinch out Matt are any side branches that start in the junction between the main stem and a leaf. If you have not been pinching anything out it may appear now as if you have 2 or 3 main stems in which case be brutal and leave one, even if they have flowers on. If you don't you might think that you could end up with loads more tomatoes, but what tends to happen is you end with loads of small ones that take forevever to ripen. I know its hard but it's best to limit each plant to about 5 or 6 trusses max of flowers/fruit.

Quote from: "franmeerkat"
Nice advice, pushrod. I planted mine indoors a fortnight ago, and will do another batch today. This year I'm growing Gardener's Delight, San Marzano, Tigerella and Costaluto Fiorentino. Next batch will include Sungold.

I can recommend  sungold and one thing about them is the seed stays viable for a long time. I found some opened 3 year old seed in my greenhouse cabinet and thought i would see if they would still go and i reckon just about everyone must have come up :shock: good taste as well
just a bit sweeter than the gardener's delight  :D .

Is the Costaluto Fiorentino an italian plum tomato?

gobs

tomato advice please
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 21:07 »
It's an Italian beefsteak, very ribbed.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

franmeerkat

tomato advice please
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 21:44 »
Is the Costaluto Fiorentino an italian plum tomato?[/quote]

Yes, as gobs says. Never grown it before, but the flavour is said to be very good.
Thanks for the tip about the viability of Sungold seed - I was going to buy new but will give some old seed a go.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
tomato advice please
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 22:59 »
Quote from: "gobs"

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

gobs

tomato advice please
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 10:12 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Have you got some? :wink:

gobs

tomato advice please
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 10:13 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Have you got some? :wink:

xx
tomato advice

Started by totalnovice on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 18:58
by totalnovice
xx
Tomato advice please

Started by ryetek on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 21:33
by Stree
clip
Tomato advice please?

Started by Carlh80 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 01, 2020, 20:05
by Carlh80
xx
Tomato advice please

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 09:10
by Spana

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 28 queries.