Any ideas please???

• 7 Replies

Brambles

Any ideas please???
« on: May 16, 2008, 21:44 »
My new ladies, Bertha and Doris are doing brilliantly.. :D

My daughter-in-law has one fit hen and one not too happy, from the same farm that I got my new girls from.  

The sickly looking hen went into her house two days ago, made a noise as if she was about to lay and egg... but what she actually laid was what looked like a piece of chicken meat... it actually looks like an uncoated chicken nugget (not that I have ever had one... we are all vegetarian!)

I have never heard of "meat" being laid... any ideas would be gratefully received...

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
Any ideas please???
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 21:49 »
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm  any chance  it was an egg with out a shell? this can happen?

if not soz dunno sure some one will have some ideas tho lots of experienced peeps on here

Brambles

Any ideas please???
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 21:53 »
Thank you for suggestion, though certainly did not look like an egg... it was quite firm all over, when broken open it was the same all through!!!  Apparently it smelt like a newborn baby when it was first laid...  (the sniff test was to make sure it was not pooh!!!)

Poolfield2

Any ideas please???
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 22:32 »
Free range chicken nuggets, that's clever :lol:  :lol:

I found a small (little finger nail size) rubbery disc in an egg and have had egg with soft shell and one with no shell but never heard of "meat" sorry not to be more helpful.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Any ideas please???
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 22:59 »
It was what chicken keepers in some partsof the country call a "lash".  It is part of the lining of  the uterus which has been shed, possibly due to an infection.

The hen may recover or may go down hill.  How old is she ?

This is a lash:

Foxy

Any ideas please???
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 23:07 »
It is very difficult and uncomfortable for a hen to lay a soft shelled egg this also can take a while longer compared to laying a normal hard shelled egg-which is probably why she has been miserable for a while. Maybe she is short on calcium?Make sure she has plenty of oyster shell and perhaps mix some baked  crushed egg shells in there as well. Also, the egg may have been crushed on the way down the oviduct and been stuck for awhile which could account for its strange appearance. I would also reduce any treats and ensure their main feed is layers pellets. Keep a close eye on her and see how she is over the next few days. Watch out for any swelling or heat around her bottom which would indicate a problem. Hopefully she is just getting her laying equipment in order and she will be right as rain as well as relieved!!! :D

Brambles

Any ideas please???
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 23:23 »
Wow!... Lots of info there...  sounds very much like the "lash" to me, the picture was very like I saw.   Hen was from farm (selling up due to farmer dying)... but we think she is not a young hen.   Her beak has been clipped too, and a bit too short!  Hope she survives as she deserves a bit of TLC and a good end to her life...

Brambles

Any ideas please???
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 23:42 »
Thank you Aunt Sally and Foxy...  Have passed the information on...  If it is possible for D-I-L to nurse her girlie she will... She is known on IOW as the "bird Lady" ... she gets all the injured and sick birds to nurse back to health...  but we had not heard of this one before...

Many thanks...

xx
Any ideas?

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 07:58
by joyfull
xx
Any ideas

Started by Bruce Rance on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 13:10
by too many girls
xx
Any ideas please

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 30, 2008, 13:20
by bean
xx
Help Any Ideas

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 23:31
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 30 queries.