Spoling the Girls

• 14 Replies

Slatz

Spoling the Girls
« on: May 16, 2008, 08:53 »
OK, They love mealworms, I can get them to run anywhere for a handful.

They don't like corn  :( What have I done to upset them?

Nats

Spoling the Girls
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 09:33 »
I don't know, I'm very new to chicken-keeping but I've read that chickens have their individual likes and dislikes when it comes to food...

Let's wait for someone more experienced to answer!

Mine get incredibly excited about corn - almost singing and dancing - but they have no interest in slugs/snails!!

poultrygeist

Spoling the Girls
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 11:18 »
I presume it's a bit like offering someone jam sandwiches and then tempting them with chocolate cake.

Which would you hold out for ??

Have you tried withholding the mealworms for 2 or 3 days then seeing if they'll eat the corn ?

Rob

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Spoling the Girls
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 14:11 »
Quite so Rob !  

Chooks are like children.  They won't eat their bread and butter if they think you'll give them a bag of crisps instead :wink:

Fire2920

Spoling the Girls
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 14:22 »
Aye ive noticed the same thing, they learn to wait for treats and leave there corn. They go back to the corn and even the layers pellets after a while without treats  :wink:

Animal psychologists say they are as intelligent as a 3 year old child in that respect  :wink:   The will resist good food if they think something they like better will be offered later.

Bird brained but far from stupid  :wink:
??? I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous... ???

poultrygeist

Spoling the Girls
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 16:24 »
We try to vary the time we give any treats, which is usually just corn.

Any sort of routine and they'll soon suss it out. They always run to the fence when we so much as open the back door but very rarely give them anything. Imagine if they were rewarded every time !!

It's basically a Pavlovian response to the sound of the door opening. Makes them react as if they're going to get something. Either that or it's just my magnetic personality. No, definitely Pavlov.

Rob

Oliveview

Spoling the Girls
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 17:03 »
Our hens just spat out the corn! It was all about the hen house :(  
As soon as we open the garden gate they are at their gate waiting for food :lol:   I´ve been known to tread on their feet as I go through the gate they are so eager for treats!  When I find snails I feed them to the hens- I have to crush them first though- they won´t eat a whole one!!
Pamela

peggyprice

Spoling the Girls
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 17:40 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
It's basically a Pavlovian response to the sound of the door opening. Makes them react as if they're going to get something. Either that or it's just my magnetic personality. No, definitely Pavlov.

Rob

I'm planning to use Pavlov to my advantage ... three of my five already come running whenever they hear me open the corn bin, before I even get to the gate - and then follow me across the garden and back into their run  :wink:  

Now I'm going to train them and the newbies (who haven't quite got the idea yet) that if I ring a little bell they get some lovely yummy apple in their run... I have visions of them trooping obediently back in whenever they hear the bell ring.  Figure it's easier than trying to chase them around the garden, and will be useful if ever I have to leave someone else in charge  8)
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

poultrygeist

Spoling the Girls
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 18:40 »
Be interesting to know if it works. They SHOULD have the intelligence to grasp it.

Keep us posted.

Rob

peggyprice

Spoling the Girls
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 19:20 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
Be interesting to know if it works. They SHOULD have the intelligence to grasp it.

Keep us posted.

Rob

If I get them really well trained there'll be a video in it  :lol:

And then ... dancing chickens ... cycling chickens ... acrobatic chickens ... :lol:  :roll:  :lol:

poultrygeist

Spoling the Girls
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 19:33 »
...then....

Britain's Got Talent !!!

peggyprice

Spoling the Girls
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 21:37 »
Simon Cowell, here we come ... :lol:

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
Spoling the Girls
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 21:42 »
cylcing chickens now that i would like to see......defo better than anyone on britans got (no) talent

peggyprice

Spoling the Girls
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 09:49 »
Quote from: "nettynoodles1"
cylcing chickens now that i would like to see......defo better than anyone on britans got (no) talent

They'll be more impressive when they can do without the stabilisers ...

Sorry Slatz, i seem to have hijacked your thread...!

To go back to your original question.. I've noticed that mine loved their corn at first, but now they know there's (occasionally) something more interesting on offer they're not so quick to respond.  You can almost see them grumbling and looking sulky when 'all' they get is some nice juicy organic mixed corn... :roll:  

But when they realise it's that or nothing they kind of find that maybe its not so bad really ... :wink:

FrankieM

Spoling the Girls
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 17:02 »
Agreed.
Sorry I haven't been online often, folks. Just come back a few days ago -still weathering out the storms of exams, and awaiting to become a member of moreton morrel to do a course in animal welfare and management -that leads on to veterinary nursing.
I often feed my chucks little treats every now and again. They have the pick of the garden, always eat their poultry feed, but are also quite fond of banana skins, wilting plants, mint, herbs, chives, plain biscuits and other different things.
After having taken care of Todd my rabbit, I learned quickly that an animal, no matter how cleaver intelectually, will always seek out a chance to have a treat rather then the food that is better for them. Humans are quite the same.
I went to a pet shop once where they sell live mealworms, asking if they were suitable for poultry. They answered no and said they were quite bad for chickens, like giving chocolate is bad for a bunny. It doesn't get processed by the body very well, and so if given often enough can shorten their life. However, I don't think there would be a long term effect to giving them a small handful once a week.
It keeps them happy and interested -in my opinion.
Accepting help related to chickens!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g149/Silver-rage/Toddrelatedbanner.jpg[/img]
~The greatest friend, and the most patient pet I've ever had. I love you Todd.~

xx
Enough for my girls?

Started by emmaellis on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 05:49
by Lindeggs
xx
my girls

Started by buttony22 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 11:29
by buttony22
xx
What's up with my girls?

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 16:39
by Catsmuvva
xx
how many girls in a run

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 22:55
by meterman

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 28 queries.