Allotment waiting lists !!!!!1

• 76 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2008, 18:19 »
Quote from: "lincspoacher"
Also, the various allotments acts says there should be 'adequate provision' of allotments, and this (by case law) seems to be about 20 plots per 1000 population, but only if the population is over 10,000.

Furthermore, if 6 people on the waiting list get together, they can demand that the council provide more plots, and the council have the right to compulsory purchase more land for this purpose.

If the provision is inadequate (which it is if the waiting list is like 50 people) then you can also try harassing your MP to get the council to act.

Google 'Allotments Act 1950' , read for yourself.

Just to clarify the law, hopefully without too much technical detail ...

The relevant statute imposing a duty on a council to provide a 'sufficient' number of allotments and to respond to a request from 6 registered voters, is actually the Smallholdings and Allotments Act 1908, specifically section 23, which can be found here.

By virtue of s.25 of the same Act, the council does indeed have power to purchase land or lease it compulsorily.

The Allotments Act 1950 generally contains provisions relating to compensation, although section 9 sets out the maximum area for allotments which it is under an obligation to provide (20 poles if fewer than 10,000 population - otherwise 40 poles).  Note that this is a maximum, not necessarily the amount which must be provided irrespective of demand.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

titch

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2008, 20:35 »
the council sold off the allotment land in our village years ago (apparently, i dont know for sure, just what i have been told).

a friend in the village is working with the parish council to try and get something arranged with farmers as she has a list of people who want lotties (including me), so waiting to hear on that one.  I did say i would be willing to share a plot with someone, and lucky she has someone who wants a half too.

sure i will outgrow my 4 raised beds once we get going with it all proper.
just keep breathing................

compostqueen

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2008, 14:36 »
I was just reading through the various posts and wondered if anyone had actually relocated just to get an allotment  :?:

It seems that in some parts of the country the waiting lists are huge and folks could wait forever yet in some places there are scores of plots available

Spinosa

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2008, 17:54 »
I was seriously considering getting an allotment and was thrilled to find out there were several free plots in the allotments nearest me. I couldn't believe my eyes when I got down there - there is no allotment warden so I was told to "go down there on a weekend and someone might be around to show you about".
Well, three weekends and several fine, dry evenings and there was no-one down there at all! I would say there are three allotments all lovingly tended and the rest is a mess of brambles, thistles, 5' high grass, bindweed and other nasties (and this is just what I could see from over the fence - without forking out the cash, you don't get to go in and have a look around, unless you can find a gardener to let you in... and there wasn't any....)

I'm not afraid of hard work, but it really put me off - I'm going to be constantly fighting a losing battle if I get a plot completely surrounded by weeds and overgrown grass! Plus, the fact it is so deserted down there makes me feel very uncertain about my personal safety.

It's such a waste, they've been left and neglected and now only the very brave or someone with plenty of time could really take them on. Even those that are being paid for have been left to go to hell, presumably the lack of an allotment officer means anything goes.  
I'm going to mull it over a bit more, I may yet take the plunge. It's criminal, when you consider the waiting lists in some areas, and the fact that I live on the outskirts of London!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2008, 18:00 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
I was just reading through the various posts and wondered if anyone had actually relocated just to get an allotment  :?:

What a great idea for a TV programme!

Joe Swift does 'Location, Location', or should that be 'Rotavation, Rotavation'?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Spinosa

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2008, 18:17 »
Quote from: "DD."

What a great idea for a TV programme!

Joe Swift does 'Location, Location', or should that be 'Rotavation, Rotavation'?

In that case, can I apply for an allotment in Italy?   :D

cootuk

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2008, 22:38 »
When does allotment usage get reviewed?

Near to me the 16 plot allotment (with waiting list) has three that are clearly overgrown with a token 2ft x 2ft planted on each with a potato and couple of onions.

How long do they get to cultivate more?

Can current allotment holders apply pressure to the Council due to the weeds spreading etc?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2008, 22:58 »
Quote from: "Spinosa"
I was seriously considering getting an allotment and was thrilled to find out there were several free plots in the allotments nearest me. I couldn't believe my eyes when I got down there - there is no allotment warden so I was told to "go down there on a weekend and someone might be around to show you about".
Well, three weekends and several fine, dry evenings and there was no-one down there at all! I would say there are three allotments all lovingly tended and the rest is a mess of brambles, thistles, 5' high grass, bindweed and other nasties (and this is just what I could see from over the fence - without forking out the cash, you don't get to go in and have a look around, unless you can find a gardener to let you in... and there wasn't any....)

I'm not afraid of hard work, but it really put me off - I'm going to be constantly fighting a losing battle if I get a plot completely surrounded by weeds and overgrown grass! Plus, the fact it is so deserted down there makes me feel very uncertain about my personal safety.

It's such a waste, they've been left and neglected and now only the very brave or someone with plenty of time could really take them on. Even those that are being paid for have been left to go to hell, presumably the lack of an allotment officer means anything goes.  
I'm going to mull it over a bit more, I may yet take the plunge. It's criminal, when you consider the waiting lists in some areas, and the fact that I live on the outskirts of London!

A excellent point about the safety aspect, ,my very protective twin sister said the very same thing when she saw my plot for the first time - though all our plots are fenced she was worried Id get carried away and still be there after dark and on my own - something that hadnt occured to me in my enthusiasm
I also understand that there is a real let down when you see a plot either side of you full of weeds - both my neighbours only tend half their plot, and as luck would have it its not the bit next to mine!
BUT! Ive got to say that though its very daunting, and a good thing that you can look and think about it - its really worth every single minute that you put in, and I wouldnt give up my plot with all the mares tail and bindweed thats there - and on the plus side from your point of view, you havent got an officer breathing down your neck watching your weeds - so you can take all the time you need to get it up to scratch.  How about leaving a note on one of the well tended plots to show your interest? Thats how us lot get by when we dont see each other for a few days (and dont forget its hols season for a lot of us right now)

If we want to make people and councils and lotty holders and committees etc etc sit up and take notice, then its worth a good old college try to get a plot and work from the inside of your site to change things if its at all possible

Paula

PS The very best of luck to everyone wanting a plot - I know how you feel
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2008, 22:59 »
edited -
double post - grrr tinterweb is getting my goat!

compostqueen

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2008, 23:40 »
I'd go and get one if there are plenty to be had, you could take your pick.

peterjf

waiting lists
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2008, 23:50 »
hi there , in hull , our allotments are on newland avenue , there are 265 allotments on a 26 acre site , each site having 250sq yds,

the council isservice a notice to quit on 23 plot keepers and there is 92 people on the waiting list,

i think there are large waiting lists everywhere in uk , glad i got mine 3 yrs ago , i got a double plot 500 sq yrds

billyb1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2008, 00:26 »
I put my name on the waiting list summer 2007, I heard there is an estimated 3 year wait for a plot. I don't know how many people are on the waiting list but it will be a nice suprise when I recieve the phone call or letter to tell me I have my very own allotment.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2008, 00:32 »
where are you BillyB?  I'm in Sacriston, North Durham and we've only got 17 on our list to date - if you're anywhere near us we can arrange for you to be on our list - the person at the top's only been on there since January so it's not that bad...

billyb1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2008, 00:39 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
where are you BillyB?  I'm in Sacriston, North Durham and we've only got 17 on our list to date - if you're anywhere near us we can arrange for you to be on our list - the person at the top's only been on there since January so it's not that bad...

I'm in Great Lumley which is about 2 miles from Chester-le-Street. A tad too far perhaps? I know Sacriston it's a lovely place.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2008, 00:45 »
not necessarily - I'll PM you!  :D

xx
Allotment waiting lists and Landshare !

Started by bunch29 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 09, 2009, 18:08
by jonewer
xx
Waiting Lists and Plot Inspections

Started by BAK on Grow Your Own

53 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 16:14
by jolly jen
xx
Allotment waiting list

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 21:10
by gobs
xx
Waiting for an allotment in Wakefield

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 20:08
by Jamie Butterworth

Page created in 0.554 seconds with 36 queries.