Allotment waiting lists !!!!!1

• 76 Replies

Lynne

« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2008, 17:33 »
We got our plot a year ago. There was a large waiting list but we agreed to take on a plot that everyone else (over 30 people on the list) turned down as it was so badly vandalised and had been derelict for over 7 years. We were lucky and didn't have to wait as a result.

It's been hard work, but worth it.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

Teabag

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2008, 18:37 »
i think i was lucky,i just called in on the off chance and was told there was a waiting list but nobody wanted to take my plot on as it was so overgrown,will try to get some photos up of it.Best thing i have done for ages starting it though met some great people and cant wait for all the veg we will be able to pick.

jannie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2008, 18:49 »
Quote from: "Gareth J"
way hay now I am number two on the list. come on! :D  :)  :D  :)  :D  :)  :lol:
Hi Gareth, where to in cwmbran are you i have a plot in croesyceiliog i had one for three years  :) jan

kezlou

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2008, 20:30 »
Well i'm 35 on the list for one site and 28 on the other not impressed  :evil:

But i tortured the allotment officer that much he said i could have 1/4 of a plot for £5, as part of the deal i demanded to stay on the list i complained that much about how shocking it was that people had 2+ plots while others like plot were still waiting for sites.  :twisted:

As soon as he's back from holiday i will still be demanding a full allotment, i am chuffed still because now at least i have something!  :lol:

Just torture them like i did they give you something at least, even if its a rubbish small plot like mine.

Kerry
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2008, 21:09 »
kezlou,

I'm sorry to see that you appear so proud to have gained the first part of what you want by 'torturing' someone - or would that be another word for bullying?

If someone joined the list I manage at my site, they would be number 49.  That's at least a 2-year wait.  It's really frustrating, I agree completely.

However, if that person consistently 'tortured' me in an attempt to queue-jump the rest of the people, eventually I would ask the council for permission to remove them from the list, and I suspect that the council would agree.  Why should anyone have to put up with what you've described?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

potatopotato

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2008, 21:47 »
The way our site is managed is really frustrating, there are loads on our waiting list and loads of unworked plots. Can't understand why it's taking so long to get plots allocated when there are people waiting  :( if I was on the list I'd be really fed up.

Apparently on our site if you 'show willing' by helping somebody work their plot you get priority on the list. seems a bit unfair in a way but on the other hand shows the committee that they're getting somebody who's a committed gardener who's going to work their plot regularly.
So everybody's entitled to opinions, I open up my mouth, and s***, I've got millions! - Lady Sovereign

kezlou

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2008, 21:53 »
Not really torture more of a case of me calling him and saying i'll take on abandoned allotment if there is one. When i met him he took one look at me, i'm 5'4 and podgy  and said tell you what i have some quarter plots if you want one so i said yes.

The site where i now have a plot has at least 14 empty sites, the others between them has almost 50, its ridiculous. On one site it could be a wait for up to 21 years as it is so popular and small. Could not believe it. I personally would not mind waiting a long time for a plot if i knew the others were being used efficiently and not as dumping grounds. I saw one today which had barrels, tyres old furniture, washing machine and a fridge on it as well as  general  dodo on it. Made me so angry.

The waiting list is five years minimum where i am, so many apologies i did not mean to sound proud. I actually felt sorry for the poor bloke he has had people shouting at him down the phone asking when they were getting a plot, even ringing on his mobile not good.

My suggestion of calling up was basically just to see if they had any small plots available like i did. My phoning when he's back is just to see my gate was being put in as i do wish to walk over next doors patch as it joins onto mine.

jannie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2008, 22:38 »
I think the worst we have had recently is a guy in his 70s had a plot for 25 yrs and always worked it he lives on the border of two county's and he is closer to gwent than torfean lotty sites but his address is under torfean so was kicked off his lotty   :twisted:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2008, 22:41 »
hiya kezlou  :)

I'm really pleased you've got a plot and didn't really torture anyone  :!:  :!:  

Sounds as though others are being pretty unpleasant tho'.

And I've just realised there have been *3* really's and 2 though's in my post so far.   :shock:  

Hmmm, I think I need some creative writing lessons  :lol:  And perhaps some sleep in the meantime ...

kezlou

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2008, 22:51 »
I wouldn't torture anyone well maybe my OH just because he has my life most of time lol

But no he was showing me around the 1/32 plot when a woman called him up and was swearing and shouting at him, he put his phone on loud speaker and my lord i have never heard such foul language. The daft thing is she sounded so posh, turns out she's from Hutton Rugby, have to be very rich to live houses million pounds plus and not even even in my borough. Shouting i have an acre of land and i do not want to ruin by planting vegetables.
Whiole there are people like no with only a concrete yard, no garden grass etc still being kept on the waiting list for her.

Sorry for the rant, just annoyed by the system.

Yorkie your writing is not as bad as mine, i misspell every thing!

lincspoacher

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2008, 22:58 »
When i was looking round i was annoyed at the number of apparently unused plots- when i asked there were various reasons , one plot owned by an old couple  (so if your too old to use it why keep  it), some flooded so were basically useless unless you want to grow water lilies, several were allocated to council officials who have them ploughed once a year but otherwise dont use them (that should be disallowed).

The  agreement for mine says they should only be used for the purposes of growing food crops if for your own consumption and you are NOT allowed to use them for selling food as a business.

Also, the various allotments acts says there should be 'adequate provision' of allotments, and this (by case law) seems to be about 20 plots per 1000 population, but only if the population is over 10,000.

Furthermore, if 6 people on the waiting list get together, they can demand that the council provide more plots, and the council have the right to compulsory purchase more land for this purpose.

If the provision is inadequate (which it is if the waiting list is like 50 people) then you can also try harassing your MP to get the council to act.

Google 'Allotments Act 1950' , read for yourself.

kezlou

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2008, 15:15 »
Thanks for that Lincspoacher i will do its just a matter of the council providing it though sadly. Still doesn't hurt to find other people on the list who want to sign a petition for more allotments.

Unfortunately the plots unused in Middlesbrough are just disrepair, the allotments themselves (well the ones i've seen) seen to well drained, relatively good land, near becks / streams to a constant supply of water with an amazing array of wildlife surrounding them.

FCG

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2008, 16:02 »
About to go ask about helping out on the allotments where i want one, it could only help my case.

Also there is an allotment where i am that is wild, apparently there may be 'dead tree roots or something' in it. Should i try to get that one and see if i could get rid of the roots (if there are any)without getting a JCB etc in?

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2008, 16:55 »
Quote from: "lincspoacher"

Also, the various allotments acts says there should be 'adequate provision' of allotments, and this (by case law) seems to be about 20 plots per 1000 population, but only if the population is over 10,000.

Furthermore, if 6 people on the waiting list get together, they can demand that the council provide more plots, and the council have the right to compulsory purchase more land for this purpose.

If the provision is inadequate (which it is if the waiting list is like 50 people) then you can also try harassing your MP to get the council to act.

Google 'Allotments Act 1950' , read for yourself.

Yes but if your council has plots to offer in their area they've got their back covered. My district council offered me a plot on the far side of our district and one 8 miles away in a patch of wastland behind a block of derelict garages. My parish has no sites and the neighbouring villages only let parishoners on their lists. After a wait of 10 months I got on a lovely independent site about 10 mins drive away.
I love my plot but I wish I could have one in my parish. I'd love to be able to walk there. At this time of year I could do with a short daily trip for picking berries etc, but its not very ecological, economical or a good use of time to drive there and back for a short visit so I stick to 3 times a week.
As long as they have plots to offer in the district I don't think we stand  a chance of getting a site in our parish.

Tugster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2008, 17:50 »
This always makes me laugh when I read about these waiting lists. I am one of the lucky ones with a plot and I even split it so someone else could have a chance.
There are several chaps down at my allotment that have more than 1 plot on the site and have no intention of giving any of there extra plots to anyone. This with a town that has 76 people on the waiting list. I blame the council for not having words with the multiplot holders.
This is not something just where I live, my gran lives in Nottingham and she says its the same there.
Food for thought!!!

xx
Allotment waiting lists and Landshare !

Started by bunch29 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 09, 2009, 18:08
by jonewer
xx
Waiting Lists and Plot Inspections

Started by BAK on Grow Your Own

53 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 16:14
by jolly jen
xx
Waiting for an allotment in Wakefield

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 20:08
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
Allotment waiting list

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 21:10
by gobs

Page created in 0.792 seconds with 36 queries.