Allotment waiting lists !!!!!1

• 76 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 18:20 »
I was number 35 on Waiting list in early March. Was told the council were having a meeting to bump off people who weren't using their plots and i should find out in March. Phoned in March, told would definitely hear in April or early May - no news yet. I did say I'd take on half a plot to start with, but worried it's getting  bit late in the year to be starting anything now. Any suggestions?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 19:00 »
I'd wait 3-4 weeks after your most recent phone call, then pick up the phone again to ask for a progress report.

If you got a plot later this summer, you might miss planting slots for some veg this season, but it nearly always takes longer to prepare the plot than you think (unless it's a miracle and the plot's in pristine condition).  

So you could grow some fast stuff like dwarf beans, salad etc, this summer.  And then plan for anything which is sown in the autumn, build any raised beds, plan out the space how you want etc etc.  Often, by rushing in, you end up with things not quite how you would like if you had had more time to think!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Bear

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 13:35 »
Council have just phoned me to say I'm 8th on the list. There's about 60 plots on that site.

There is another site with 64 plots but there is 22 people on that waiting list.

8th sounds alright to me!!!

Oscar Too

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 15:09 »
Quote from: "Janeymiddlewife"
I was number 35 on Waiting list in early March. Was told the council were having a meeting to bump off people who weren't using their plots and i should find out in March. Phoned in March, told would definitely hear in April or early May - no news yet. I did say I'd take on half a plot to start with, but worried it's getting  bit late in the year to be starting anything now. Any suggestions?

It's really, really worth going down to the site, getting to know the site manager, and generally showing them that you are serious.  They'll be happier to take on someone they know, rather than another unknown quantity.  Remember that their incentive is to have nice productive easy tenants.  If they think you'll be one of those, they can shift you in.

In Medway, there are 300 people on the waiting list, and 99% occupancy.  There's only 1 person handling allotments in the council. Only 1 person in 3 on the list actually ever takes up a plot, the other 2 either move away, change their minds, or want one with a verandah, a fridge, and a little man to do all the work.  Nevertheless those 2 people need to be contacted and go through the motions.  The result is a bottleneck for the council.

If I had relied on the phone, I'd still be waiting.  As it is, I'm in my second year of lottie cultivation.

So get down to the site and get to know a few people.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2008, 18:28 »
Quote from: "Oscar Too"

In Medway, there are 300 people on the waiting list, and 99% occupancy.  There's only 1 person handling allotments in the council. Only 1 person in 3 on the list actually ever takes up a plot, the other 2 either move away, change their minds, or want one with a verandah, a fridge, and a little man to do all the work.  Nevertheless those 2 people need to be contacted and go through the motions.  The result is a bottleneck for the council.

If I had relied on the phone, I'd still be waiting.  As it is, I'm in my second year of lottie cultivation.

So get down to the site and get to know a few people.

I manage my local council site as a volunteer on behalf of the council.  In the last year, quite a few people didn't take up plots for the reasons stated or - more commonly - they'd got a plot elsewhere in the city and didn't have the courtesy to let me know.

This does cause a bottleneck, insofar as I have to allow a reasonable period of time for a person to get back in touch with me if I've had to leave a message for them when they reach the top of the plot (after all, no-one would want to miss out on a plot purely because they happened to be away on their main holiday 18 months after putting their name down).

What I would say, is that whilst of course I don't mind people ringing me from time to time to ask where they are on the list (I've had two such calls this week in fact), they won't get bumped up the list purely because they have demonstrated that they are keen.  I have to treat everyone equally fairly; I can't second guess who will be a better tenant.

GaryH

• Experienced Member
    • meandmyplot
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2008, 16:30 »
Yippppeeeeeeee
Just been to the Bristol City Council offices to return my form for half a plot at Speedwell and they have given me the full plot.

Talk about expedite, move the goal posts etc etc.

Absolutely chuffed to bits.

Roll on Sunday, with spade, fork and hoe in hand, its off to sow we go.

Me and my plot
Thanks

Gareth J

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2008, 19:36 »
I am also waiting for an allotment, and dont shoot me, but........ the guy who already has EIGHT plots is above me on the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!          
now I do not like to complain ( where have I heard THAT before) but it seems to me that if you want to encourage more people to enjoy the pleasure of feeling they have more to life and give them the satisfaction of being able to nurture and grow veg, then surely a fairer method of allocating plots could be found (rant over)
I have never been lost...................
But I will admit to being confused for several weeks

woodburner

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2008, 22:14 »
Now that's extreme. How does he mange eight plots? With a tractor? More to the point what does he do with all the produce? If he's selling it he's most likely breaking the rules.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2008, 22:22 »
I quite agree with your post, Gareth.

In view of the increasing length of waiting lists, my council has developed a policy whereby anyone who already has a full plot is not prevented from signing up for a further plot (actually it would be a half plot), but whilst there are still people waiting for their first half plot, or to upgrade to a full plot on that site, the tenants with more than one plot will not be offered anything more.

Now, I know that the existing tenants have patiently waited to reach the top of the list in the same way as everyone else, but we decided that it wasn't fair to give more to those who already had something, thus depriving those who had nothing of an opportunity.

Phew, hope you're still with me, that got a bit convoluted  :roll:

Why don't you approach your council and ask them to re-visit their plot allocation policy?

Gareth J

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 14:38 »
I checked the council website yorkie and it says the allotments are run by site committies, so I dont want to go rocking the boat by kicking up a fuss. I guess that if some one chooses to run more that one plot, their arguement would be that they applied and got the extra plots when no one else wanted them, and I suppose that is fair enough.

(how do you spell committies????)

Ruby Red

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2008, 15:49 »
Quote from: "Gareth J"
I am also waiting for an allotment, and dont shoot me, but........ the guy who already has EIGHT plots is above me on the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!          
now I do not like to complain ( where have I heard THAT before) but it seems to me that if you want to encourage more people to enjoy the pleasure of feeling they have more to life and give them the satisfaction of being able to nurture and grow veg, then surely a fairer method of allocating plots could be found (rant over)

No I think you should complain. I would. Take some of the others on the list with you.  :x
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2008, 19:48 »
Im sorry, but unless you are growing for a hotel, who the HELL needs 8 plots???

Shouldnt he be asked why he needs all those?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2008, 19:54 »
I must say that it does sound rather a lot and a tad unfair, he probably has a stall at the local farmers market and sells the stuff. :shock:
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

FCG

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2008, 20:50 »
I've just put my name down today for an allotment (kicking myself for not doing it this time last year), i'm in a 24 person long waiting list.

It's rubbish! I swear there is an allotment there that hasn't been cultivated in at least 5 years. Hut oh hum, i guess it's a waiting game. Unless we can use that legislation mentioned in the other thread to acquire more land?

Gareth J

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2008, 12:10 »
way hay now I am number two on the list. come on! :D  :)  :D  :)  :D  :)  :lol:

xx
Allotment waiting lists and Landshare !

Started by bunch29 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 09, 2009, 18:08
by jonewer
xx
Waiting Lists and Plot Inspections

Started by BAK on Grow Your Own

53 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 16:14
by jolly jen
xx
Waiting for an allotment in Wakefield

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 20:08
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
Allotment waiting list

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 21:10
by gobs

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 36 queries.